Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inheritance (part of one word Clois challenge)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inheritance (part of one word Clois challenge)

Disclaimer: I do not own Smallville, but enjoy writing about it
    Pairing:; Clark/Lois
    Spoilers: Set during season 5 after Redemption
    Rating – PG13

Plot: Clark’s father has just died, his life is spiralling into emotional turmoil as his relationship with Lana crumbles. Meanwhile Lois is devastated by a double loss - Jonathan and her ‘uncle’ Bob but a surprise inheritance changes the lives of Lois and Clark forever.

Hot summer day 1998

Most thirteen year old would have ran away at the sound of such a booming voice....

“Get out of here, how many times have I told you. If he finds you in here he will kill you.” The familiar words rang out.

But not Lois Lane. She heard the same thing everyday....

“Uncle Bob, I told you yesterday he is out of state for a few days.” Lois gave a cheeky smile.

“Oh, so you did.” He smiled gently, “ but you still know you shouldn’t be in here.”

“You know I cannot stay away from her.” Lois pleaded with her big brown eyes.

“I know, but.......” Bob was about to give her another lecture of the issues surrounding a 13 year old hanging around the Base’s one and only bar.

“But nothing, Bob..... I cannot go a whole day without hearing her.”

“Wilma is one special girl.” Bob conceded.

“Has she got anything new.....” Lois asked hopefully.

“Yeah I got a few tunes from a new group called Whitesnake, they were really big in the 80’s and still are.”

“Never heard of them.....doesn’t sound much like my type of music but I will give it a try.”

Wilma was a replica of a 1960’s Wurlitzer Jukebox. Lois first set eyes on Wilma when her father, Lucy and she arrived on the Nevada base last summer. Lois had been told by her father many times that he would scold her if he found her in the Bob’s bar one more time.

Lois was going through a rebellious stage, fuelled by the recent onset of puberty. Anyway, she told herself, it was the only cool place on the Base other than the rather aseptic, aesthetically unpleasing prefab they called home.

Bob was a kind man, in his late fifties who had retired 10 years ago from the Forces, but returned to the Military base after the tragic death of his beloved wife, Rose years earlier. It was this loss of his wife at a young age that drew Lois to him. He was everything her father wasn’t – he was a great listener and caring.

Lois always thought it was a shame that he had never had children of his own. He would have made such a great dad. In some ways, Lois felt her father’s anger at her disobedience was due to jealously of her closeness to Bob. Saying that Sam Lane always had time for Bob and found him to be a ‘decent chap’ as he called him.
    Lois put on the Whitesnake compilation and soon she was hooked.

In fact for the next few weeks she listened to nothing else. Lucy never worked out what the fascination with Wilma and Whitesnake were, she was happier spending times with her friends down by the pool.

Eighteen months later, Sam Lane was reposted to another base. It was heartbreaking for Lois. For the first time in her life, she had formed an attachment to a place and people and felt settled. She felt like limbs were being ripped from her body as she drove away from the Base, Bob and Wilma.

Over the following years, Lois received sporadic letters from Bob, but eventually these stopped. She never forgot him and often dreamed of the hot days spent in the bar listening to Wilma playing non-stop music.

Lois knew nothing about Bob’s passing until a van pulled up on the Kent Farm one afternoon a few weeks after Jonathan had died.......

Lois did not know what to think at the arrival of the delivery truck. She wondered what Mrs K or Clark was getting delivered so was shocked by the words of the delivery driver when he climbed out of the van.

“Are you Ms Lois Lane. We have a delivery for you. Where do you want it?” the driver asked.

“What is it?” Lois was clueless.

“The shipping note says it is a jukebox. I’m sorry to rush you Ms Lane but we have a delivery to make in Kansas City and we are behind schedule.” The delivery man started glancing at his watch.

“Sorry.....” she looked around the Kent Farm and did not know where to put it. Then she realised there was only one place – in the barn. She guided the men into the barn and then was going to ask them to leave it just in the doorway, then she remembered it was prone to flooding.

She looked up to Clark’s space upstairs and realised it would have to go up there.
    The men moved it into the corner by the mirror and then left. She looked at the large parcel and hastily started to unwrap it. When she had finished, Wilma stood before her in the same pristine condition which Bob had always kept her in.

There was a note. Lois assumed it must have been Bob telling her he had closed the bar and had nowhere to store the jukebox. She opened it and was shocked to see the name of a lawyer’s firm written at the top of the letter. She read it carefully, not believing what it said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear Ms Lane,
    I regret to inform you of the recent death of your friend, Bob Austin. He died in Nevada hospital on May 21st after a long battle with liver disease. He always talked fondly of you and was adamant in the event of his death that you were bequeathed the jukebox. He knew how much it meant to you and knew you would continue to treat it with the love and respect it deserves.
    Kind Regards
    Andrew Pollock
    (Associate Partner)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The typed words started to smudge as the tears started to fall on the paper. Not only had Lois lost her surrogate father but now her ‘uncle’. How could life be so cruel. She looked at Wilma and realised that Bob’s memory would live on through her. She got up and put on one of her favourite songs......’Now you’re gone’.

Clark arrived home after a few days visiting Pete. He needed some time away from Smallville, especially after the traumatic breakup with Lana last week. Lana had tried to get back together with him after she caught him making out with Simone after being hypnotised.

Pete was a great friend and an excellent listener. He had made Clark realise that he needed to be alone for a while to come to terms with his loss and work out where his life was headed.

Clark was going to go straight into the house when he heard a Whitesnake song coming from the barn. Lois must have been up there. She had been badly affected by his father’s death, much more than her tough exterior liked to admit.

He climbed the stairs expecting to see Lois with her Ipod at full blast and was shocked to see Jukebox taking up a corner of his area of the barn. Lois had her back to him.

“Lois, do you mind telling me what that is in my barn.” He asked sarcastically.

Lois was the one person he could banter with, and not worry about upsetting her. They just seemed to bounce constant insults of one another, but the strange thing was they both seemed to enjoy it. His mom once joked that it was the Clark/Lois version of flirting. Clark told his mom at the time not to be ridiculous, stating that Lois’s only job in life was to wind him up.

“I’ll move it.” Lois stated coldly. “Don’t worry you can have your precious barn back.”

“Lois, I didn’t mean it...... What’s wrong?” Clark was concerned and he could hear the upset in her voice.

Lois turned around. She was an emotional wreck – the tears pouring down her face.

Clark ran to her and held her tight. “Lo, what is it?” He whispered tenderly in her ear.

She held him as tightly as she could. “I’ve lost them both – Jonathan and now my uncle Bob.”

Clark started to well up at the mention of his father – the emotions were still raw. Clark knew all about Bob. Lois had told him the story one day last year while they were relaxing at Crater Lake.

They continued to hold each other for what seemed like an eternity until Lois broke away. “I need to go Clark.” She ran out of the barn into Clark’s room where she flung herself on the bed and continued to sob.

Clark followed her..... He climbed on his bed next to her and held her until she fell asleep, worn out from all the crying. His heart was breaking, not only for his dad but for Lois too. He just wanted to take all her pain away and tell her that everything would be alright.

Martha arrived home from some Senate business in Metropolis. The house was quiet so she decided to sit down and have a coffee before the bickering couple reappeared. She loved to see Lois and Clark together, as she could see something definitely growing between them even if they weren’t aware of it themselves.

She went upstairs to change out of her suit. As she walked past Clark’s room, she noticed the door was ajar and that there was something on the bed. Quietly as possible she walked pushed the door a few inches and was shocked to see the forms of her son and Lois lying in close proximity to one another – fully clothed. They were spooning each other and Clark had one of his arms lovingly draped over Lois holding her waist.

Martha’s heart almost melted. It was the most amazing sight, she had never seen Clark so at peace and settled. Those two were meant to be together, call it mother’s intuition, she thought to herself. She tiptoed back downstairs and sat down at the table with her drink. Just then she heard a light tap on the door and saw the face of Lana Lang standing at the door.

“Hi Mrs Kent.” Lana asked pushing the door open. “Is Clark in?”

Martha liked Lana but she hoped that Clark would not climb aboard the Lana rollercoaster again. The last thing he needed was the dysfunctionality of their previous attempts at ‘making it work’.

“Lana, he’s asleep in bed. He hasn’t been sleeping well lately with everything going on.”

“I know I feel partly responsible for that. If I hadn’t reacted so badly with him for the Simone thing, we wouldn’t have broken up and he would not be suffering so much.”

“Lana, I think it is Jonathan’s death that is affecting him more at the moment.” Martha stated, a bit annoyed that Lana would assume she was the cause of his pain.

“Well, I’m going to help him get his mind of all that. I’ll wait in the barn until he wakes up, ok?” Lana said smugly.

Martha could not believe what she was hearing. This was the first time she had noticed how self-centred Lana was. Clark did not need his mind taken off his father, he needed support and love to deal with it. Lana stomped off to the barn.

Martha decided to wake Clark and warn him that Lana was on the prowl. She went upstairs and tapped gently on the door. All of a sudden there was a thump and whispers of panic.
    “Lois, just tell her you came in to wake me up.” Clark was flustered.

“Ok then..”

Lois went to the door. “Mrs K. I just came to wake Clark.” She announced unconvincingly.

Martha smiled. “Lois, I popped my head in ten minutes ago and you too were like two snug bunnies on that bed. You must have fallen asleep aswell when you came to wake Clark up.” She smirked.
    “Look, mom. We can explain...” Clark replied.

“You don’t need to..... You two looked cute together actually. Clark, you have a visitor. Lana is in the barn. I told her you were asleep and no I didn’t mention that Lois was with you. I think she is trying to wake you up, judging by the music blasting out of the barn.”

Lois started to run. “She better not have done anything to Wilma.”

“Who’s Wilma?” Martha asked.

“Look, mom. She’s a jukebox ...... It’s complicated. I better go to break up the fight.”

Lois ran up the stairs to find Lana. To her horror Lana was fiddling and had one of the panels open trying to change records. “Where did Clark get this piece of crap from?”

“Lana, please leave it alone. That’s mine.” Lois replied.

“It’s broken anyway. Obviously never worked properly. Where did you get this from – some yard sale.”

“Never mind, just leave it please. “ Lois was almost begging.

Clark caught up.

Lana looked at him. “Clark, could you calm Lois down, she is having one hell of a strop over some tacky piece of rubbish. We need to talk about us getting back together. You made a mistake”

“Lana, would you mind leaving please.” Clark asked.

“What....why?”

“Just leave Lana. I meant what I said the other night. Let’s just be friends.”

Lana looked at Clark in disbelief and walked off.

Lois ran over to the Jukebox and picked up the pieces that Lana had removed. She was hysterical.

“Lois, I’ll fix it. I promise.” Clark pulled her up so she was within inches of his face.

“It’s no use. She’s broken it. How could you ever go out with that *****.” Lois was angry now.

“I sometimes wonder. “ Clark thought out loud.

Lois realised she was being unfair to Clark. “I’m sorry Clark. I know you love her, but she just annoys me sometimes.”

Clark bent down and kissed Lois on the forehead and wiped the tears off her cheeks with his thumbs. Then he tenderly kissed the end of her nose, and was just about to move down to her lips when......

“Clark, Lois. Is everything ok?” Chloe had arrived. “Lana has just ran past in hysterics.”

“It’s nothing Chloe.” Clark was annoyed by the interruption. It had broken ‘that moment’ between Lois and him.

Clark went into the house to talk to his mom while Lois filled in Chloe with the events of the last few hours.

“Clark, are you ok?” Martha asked.

“Yeah, mom. Just a bit confused by what has just happened......I asked Lana to leave and almost kissed Lois. What is going on in my head?”

Martha smiled. “maybe some of the feelings that have been hidden in the depth of your mind have started to surface.”

“Mom, what are you saying?”

“I am saying. Maybe you have been looking for love in the wrong place when it has been under the same roof as you for the past year.”

Clark stared at his mom. “You’re saying I am in love with Lois.”

“That’s for you to work out for yourself.” Martha smiled.

For the next few days Clark could not get out the words of his mom out of his head. Things were now back to normal with Lois. She was winding him up again on an hourly basis. He had ordered a part for the Jukebox from Ebay and was expecting it today. He wanted to surprise Lois who was spending the day with Chloe.

He could actually see what attracted Lois to the Jukebox. She had not verbalised her feelings about Bob much in the last few days. In fact since their ‘moment’ in the barn, she had put her emotional barriers up to protect herself from hurt.

Clark took a few hours to fix Wilma. It was not one of those jobs which could be done using superspeed or superstrength. It needed to be done carefully. Finally he had it fixed and was just about to put on a tune when he heard someone entering the barn.

It was Lana. “Clark, can we talk?”

“Lana, would you mind making this quick.” Clark asked.

Lois entered the barn without being noticed and was going to leave to give the ex-lovebirds space but something told her to stay.

“Clark, what’s going on with us at the moment. Something is tearing us apart.” Lana suggested.

“I have spent a lot of time thinking about this. I don’t think recent events have torn us apart rather just exposed the cracks that were always there.”

Lana started to look desperate. “I know that we have had our ups and downs but we love each other don’t we?”

That was a pivotal moment for Clark. It finally made him realise that he was no longer in love with Lana, in fact he wondered if he ever was.

“I’m sorry Lana. I am not in love with you anymore. Too much has happened.”

“Clark, please......”

“Lana, neither of us is to blame. It was just not meant to be. You will meet someone else who will sweep you off your feet.”

“Like you already have.” Lana snapped.

“What are you talking about?” Clark asked puzzled.

“You and Lois. I have seen the way you look at her. How long has it been going on?” Lana was shouting.

“Nothing is going on...”

“Well, you would like it to, wouldn’t you?” Lana would not give up.

Clark looked at her. “you know, you’re right. I would love it if Lois would give us a shot.”

Lana ran off. Lois hid in the corner of the barn until the coast was clear. Her heart was pounding. Did he mean it? Did she feel the same? One thing was clear all of a sudden – she wanted to give it a go.

Clark heard Lois’s heart pounding. “The coast is clear, Lo. You can come up....”

Lois stood on the stairs looking across at Clark who was looking up at the stars. He turned around and gave her the most adoring smile.

“So, Lois. How much did you hear?” Clark asked.

“The important parts......” Lois smiled. “I understand you said all that about me to get rid of her.”

His face turned serious. “Lois, I meant every word. The loss of my father has made me see things differently. It made me realise if something feels right, you just need to take a chance and go for it.”

“What are you saying?”

“I’m falling for you and if you’re willing I would like to explore our feelings and see where it takes us.”

“Our... feelings, Clark?”

“Oh, Lois. I just assumed. Sorry I shouldn’t have......”

Before he could finish she grabbed him. “You mean these feelings.” She pressed her lips onto his and kissed him as though her life depended on it.

Within seconds he was kissing her back harder.

He pulled apart and looked at a confused Lois. He smiled and walked over to the Jukebox and pressed a button.

Is this love that I’m feeling,
    Is this the love, that I’ve been searching for
    Is this love or am I dreaming,
    This must be love,
    ’cos it’s really got a hold on me,
    A hold on me...

He walked back over to Lois and started where they left off. Minutes later they broke apart. Lois looked down – all colour drained from her face. She looked into his eyes.

“Clark, while we are exploring our feelings, could we also explore reasons why we are floating a foot off the ground.”

Clark smiled. “later........” he started to kiss her again...........

THE END
    Last edited by jules1973; 06-06-2010, 11:10 AM.

I'm curious!!! Really curious!!! Waiting for more!!

Comment

I really liked it
      I have a feeling that i'll have so much fun reading this challenge he..he..
      How sad, she'll know about Bob because she inherited Wilma. Poor girl, loosing two father figures at once...

Comment

ppms

Comment

Last edited by jules1973; 06-06-2010, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Ahh this is sad...poor lois I hope clark can find a way to make her a little bit happier
            Great update I will be waiting for your next chapter

Comment

The way Clark was there for Lois was very touching.
              hope you pms

Comment

have now posted it as a one shot above

Comment

That was a beautiful ending for this story. Love it¡¡¡¡
                  Great Work¡¡

Comment

Oh, just lovely
                    See i only asked for more because when i read the chapter it ended with Clark and Lois hugging on his room. Guess you hadn't post the whole thing yet. he..he..
                    And Lana... argh.. how dare she play with Wilma??? And ruin the poor thing

Comment

loved it

Comment

loved it

Comment

great

Comment

Loved it.

Comment

Lovely, love it, great.

Comment

Working...