Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mrs. Superman
    Wasn't it a blowout? I'm sure there's some who will watch it but in terms of ratings, friday night, bad teams, blowout game...doesn't seem like much of a ratings bringer even with the loyal fans who'll watch it. I guess we'll see shortly.

When do the finals get released?
    The Mets won 7-1, but it was a tight game until the 8th inning. It's certainly possible that there weren't a lot of people who watched, but I can also see it being a night where there was nothing on and maybe more Mets fans decided to watch since it was the last series of the year. I guess the finals get released today.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReevesSuperman
      The show is pretty much over. Its behind Supernatural in ratings and they are already grumblings that show is on the chopping block or pushing the creators to wrap it up. I do hope we get a full season just for the JSA episode. Dollhouse is going to get canned that is for sure.

Could you please supply a link showing these "grumblings".

Thanx
      Last edited by hexzek; 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ReevesSuperman
        The show is pretty much over. Its behind Supernatural in ratings and they are already grumblings that show is on the chopping block or pushing the creators to wrap it up. I do hope we get a full season just for the JSA episode. Dollhouse is going to get canned that is for sure.

Speaking of X-Files, I have been rewatching Lone Gunmen and they had a 5.4 rating on Friday nights, yet they still got canned. Fox would kill for those ratings now, but that is what you get for having a show predict 9/11 then can it for some misguided sense of patriotism and to tow the GOP line. Also X-Files got moved to Sundays to get better ratings which they did.
        Um... Smallville is getting better ratings than One Tree Hill, 90210, Melrose Place AND Gossip Girl... I refuse to believe it'll get canceled if those shows are still on air next year. I will write a very strong editorial about it if I have to.

Comment

• cw can't cancel SV 2.4 million on friday it's the best rating for this channel on friday so for sure SV will air until s9 finish
          After for a season 10 we'll see

Comment

• Originally posted by guy
            cw can't cancel SV 2.4 million on friday it's the best rating for this channel on friday so for sure SV will air until s9 finish
            After for a season 10 we'll see
            Right On! Once again the TPTB said they would be please with 2 mil viewership for this time slot. Smallville maintain this rating and increase a little could be good for season 10.
            I believe if ratings 2.5 to 3.0 is the avg, we will see season 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lilah
              Um... Smallville is getting better ratings than One Tree Hill, 90210, Melrose Place AND Gossip Girl... I refuse to believe it'll get canceled if those shows are still on air next year. I will write a very strong editorial about it if I have to.
              Exactly, I'm not going to worry about "grumblings" from a poster who claimed last week that Smallville was now the lowest rated show on the CW.

Comment

• Um... Smallville is getting better ratings than One Tree Hill, 90210, Melrose Place AND Gossip Girl...
                No, it actually isn't. Not where it counts, which is the W18-34 demo. Thats the only number the CW really cares about, and SV is at the bottom of that particular demo. GG actually kicks SV's butt in this demo, as does OTH and 90210. Not sure about MP. SV used to be able to offset their lack of pull in that demo with their larger general audience numbers. Now, those numbers are also gone.

SV is probably doing better then any other CW show would do on friday. And I'm sure expectations were low. But, that doesn't mean its doing particularly well either. I'm sure it will survive the season. I think the worry will really be for those that want a S10, and whether these numbers will be able to justify it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BadToad
                  No, it actually isn't. Not where it counts, which is the W18-34 demo. Thats the only number the CW really cares about, and SV is at the bottom of that particular demo. GG actually kicks SV's butt in this demo, as does OTH and 90210. Not sure about MP. SV used to be able to offset their lack of pull in that demo with their larger general audience numbers. Now, those numbers are also gone.

SV is probably doing better then any other CW show would do on friday. And I'm sure expectations were low. But, that doesn't mean its doing particularly well either. I'm sure it will survive the season. I think the worry will really be for those that want a S10, and whether these numbers will be able to justify it.

The CW likes the W18-34 demo but that isn't the only demo that counts. Smallville is pulling in decent A18-34, and Dawn and crew aren't just going to dismiss those ratings due to their infatuation for the W18-34 demo. They may be shortsighted but they aren't blind.

So far the CW is averaging a 1.0 in the A18-34 demo. Smallville is above that and it's also on Friday. So sure it's not pulling the women demo, but it never really has and the CW knows this.

Comment

• Originally posted by hexzek
                    The CW likes the W18-34 demo but that isn't the only demo that counts. Smallville is pulling in decent A18-34, and Dawn and crew aren't just going to dismiss those ratings due to their infatuation for the W18-34 demo. They may be shortsighted but they aren't blind.

So far the CW is averaging a 1.0 in the A18-34 demo. Smallville is above that and it's also on Friday. So sure it's not pulling the women demo, but it never really has and the CW knows this.
                    Not to mention the money it makes for the WB. I'm pretty certain it makes more money in dvd sales, outside revenue etc than those other shows--with the possible exception of Supernatural. Of course, who knows if that matters for CW.

Btw, Metallo is still in the top ten. Currently #7. I dont expect that to last the whole week, but it's been up there higher and longer than Savior. Thats always a good sign.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mrs. Superman
                      Not to mention the money it makes for the WB. I'm pretty certain it makes more money in dvd sales, outside revenue etc than those other shows--with the possible exception of Supernatural. Of course, who knows if that matters for CW.
                      It matters to the CW because Warner Bros. is half owner of the CW.
                      Warner Bros. makes Smallville.

Comment

• It's certainly doing ok for being in the Friday night slot, it's just unfortunate to see it's ratings dip down so much from last year. Especially when we're seeing such a strong start to the season. Many of those 2 million+ that watched last year on Thursday and aren't watching now on Friday would likely be enjoying it as much as we diehards are.

Comment

• Originally posted by hexzek

Which is why I think that Smallville was moved to Friday. I think that the CW wants that women demo for the other nights. The problem is that Smallville is not pulling in the same numbers, overall, on Friday as it did on Thursday. Maybe the CW doesn't care about this and they'll just keep picking up Smallville, but there might come a point where the cost of Smallville becomes too much and it will be replaced by another, less expensive show. I think that if Smallville can remain above 2 million viewers for the rest of the season, it might be back but if it falls to below 2 million, that might be the final nail in the coffin.

The way I see it, if Smallville was still regarded as a successful show on Thursdays for the CW, it would never have been moved to Friday. I think that they moved it because they felt that another show could step in, give similar overall numbers that Smallville had while increasing the all important female demographic. That's what Vampire Diaries is being used for. We'll see if it can perform well over the course of the entire season.
                          Last edited by myankskent; 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by myankskent
                            Which is why I think that Smallville was moved to Friday. I think that the CW wants that women demo for the other nights. The problem is that Smallville is not pulling in the same numbers, overall, on Friday as it did on Thursday. Maybe the CW doesn't care about this and they'll just keep picking up Smallville, but there might come a point where the cost of Smallville becomes too much and it will be replaced by another, less expensive show. I think that if Smallville can remain above 2 million viewers for the rest of the season, it might be back but if it falls to below 2 million, that might be the final nail in the coffin.
                            Completely agree, the problem is that if ratings are at 2.4-2.5 now, what will they be in spring when they generally go down for Smallville anyway. It possible, pretty much likely that ratings will go below that 2.0 mark by mid spring. In terms of w 18-34 ratings, it makes more sense for Smallville on friday since shows like OTH, GG & VD among others do so much higher 18-34 women. Smallville is last in that department, so its not a priority of the channel anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by myankskent

The way I see it, if Smallville was still regarded as a successful show on Thursdays for the CW, it would never have been moved to Friday. I think that they moved it because they felt that another show could step in, give similar overall numbers that Smallville had while increasing the all important female demographic. That's what Vampire Diaries is being used for. We'll see if it can perform well over the course of the entire season.
                              i think we will definitely see that fall below 2 million viewers, baseball playoffs are starting which will definitetly get huge ratings, and plus smallville's ratings usually dip a lot by february/march.

Comment

• Originally posted by dollarman82
                                Completely agree, the problem is that if ratings are at 2.4-2.5 now, what will they be in spring when they generally go down for Smallville anyway. It possible, pretty much likely that ratings will go below that 2.0 mark by mid spring.
                                Well then lets hope it will get early renewal, just like this year, before ratings will fall, didnt SV get renewal even before Infamous aired?

Anyway, just like others pointed out, SV is doing damn well on iTunes and DVD sales, WB definitely will have big influence in renewing the season, thats why I remain pretty optimistic about s10, overall ratings are about the same as other shows, with exception of TVD and it is on friday night after all. No show will do there even close as good as SV does. But, IMHO, they should put TVD repeats after SV, its way better follow up than what is now and, IMO, it would help not only SV ratings, but also whole night ratings.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎