Global Football Corner

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah I agree with that, Costas - despite being among the favourites I never fancied them to win it. It seemed strange that most of their strengths lay in defence for once: Lucio, Cesar and Alves are world class players. Nilmar, Robinho and Luis Fabiano? Not in the same league as Messi, Tevez, Higuain, and Milito. Ironically it could be Argentina's defence which is their undoing. I think tomorrow's match against Germany is fascinating. The Germans will have so much belief after totally outclassing England - what I hope happens is that they score first; then we'll know just how good the Argies really are.

By the way, Costas - have you heard Benayoun has moved to Chelsea? What do you make of that? The BBC article talked about replacing Ballack and Cole. If that's the case, I'm not sure doing it with a 30-year old is the way.....

I know that all the England jokes have been doing the rounds, but I heard this one from an 11-year old pupil in my class:
    Apparently Fabio's tried to cheer the England squad up by organising a friendly against Iceland. If they win that they'll get the chance to play Morrisons and Asda ......
    (Do you get Iceland in other parts of the world?)

EDIT: What drama in the Ghana game!!! I've always liked Uruguay, but that is really harsh on the Ghanaians.
    Last edited by Lex Dance; 07-03-2010, 06:53 AM.

Comment

• Hi Lex Dance. Don't know what to make of the Benayoun signing. Seems like the team were after a cheap solution to replace Joe Cole. But I don't rate Benayoun as high as I do Cole. I think it's evident of Roman's intentions not to spend a lot this summer. He is not the only one though. Look at Liverpool, Arsenal and United. It's a very quiet summer. United's net spend is around -2 million pounds. And last summer it was +69 million. You can tell that clubs are really starting to cut down on their spending.

It was tough on Ghana, but they blew a glorious chance. I have to say that I am happy for Diego Forlan. What a player.

Comment

• lol we lost

Comment

• I am sure that our Brazilian friends here would have enjoyed the Argentina result today.

Germany are in devastating form. Heard that Mueller will miss the semi final. That could be a blow.

Comment

• I feel slightly better lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Lex Dance
              ^^^ Brazil in their own backyard...... frightening.
              They'll have to improve though - out in the quarters at the last 2 World Cups. That's only slightly better than England.
              I hope so! And you are right. The worst is that I know we have great players. We'll see in 4 years!

Originally posted by costas22
              I am sure that our Brazilian friends here would have enjoyed the Argentina result today.
              You are right! The screams were so loud here, that for a moment I thought Brazil was playing!

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Lois
                I feel slightly better lol
                Originally posted by LadyH
                You are right! The screams were so loud here, that for a moment I thought Brazil was playing!
                Ah, the magic of football!

Comment

• As an England fan it was very hard to decide who I most wanted to lose........
                  However as a football fan I was so in awe of Germany's attitude and approach - they are a team in every sense of the word. What a shame Mueller won't be there to face Spain! I thought Argentina's team spirit was pretty strong up until this game, but it looks like they were just riding the crest of a winning wave. The first bit of any real pressure and they crumbled - all those defensive deficiencies came to the surface (although it didn't help that Samuel wasn't fit). I always thought not taking Champion's League winners Zanetti and Cambiasso would come back to bite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Lois
                    lol we lost
                    you lost and I won

Comment

• A french point of view
                      for brazil i feel sorry but as a Lyon fan i still don't understand why dunga didn't change bastos and alves, with Michel as midfield ( his best place) and alves in defense
                      they should lead 2 or 3-0 at half-Time but they didn't, and when you miss so Many chances, you pay it at the end

germany-argentina
                      it was for me the best game in this world' cup
                      great Job of low who knew perfectly how to play diego's team.
                      They were so strong in the midfield and a good game on the sides
                      lahm-müller and boateng-podolski on the other side were argentina nightmare last saturday
                      but the best player was bastian schwinstiger , he touch many balls, had two assists and he helped on in défense when Messi had the ball
                      but bad news for germany, Muller won't be present against Spain for the Euro 2008 final revench

Spain where David villa is playing very well
                      just a stat
                      Spain 6 goals,
                      villa 5 goal-1assist!

So now just waiting for Spain-germany to know who Will play Hollande in finale

Comment

• Although Spain, at their best, are devastating i just can't see them beating Germany. The Germans are performing so consistently.

Comment

• I just hope it's not a step too far for this young Germany team. They have already exceeded expectations. Their main problem tomorrow may well be not getting enough of the ball. However, I want them to win and I think they've got a good chance based on their last 2 performances. I'd then love to see a Holland Germany final - remember Frank Rikjard and Rudi Voller?

Comment

• I am kind of pulling for Uruguay tonight. Would lose to see Diego Forlan play in a World Cup final. As for tomorrow, remember that what has worked fir Germany in recent ties is the fact that they score early. If Spain avoid any early surprised, I see them taking control of the game. But this one could go all the way. Tough to predict a winner. Paul the octopus sided with Spain.

Comment

• Forgive my ignorance, Costas - but what is all this Paul the octopus stuff? Have I missed something on YouTube?!
                              Holland deserved it tonight but Uruguay did themselves proud. I wanted them to win (random 2nd team and all that), but then I'd like to see Holland win the whole thing.
                              Jurgen Klinsman gave a really interesting interview on the BBC website about how he worked very hard to make BIG changes (with Joachim Low) after they went out of the 2004 Euros in Portugal without winning a game. They might get knocked out tomorrow, but they've got in places exactly the right resources to have a great chance at the next Euros and World Cup. Schweinsteiger to Chelsea?........

Comment

• It's no big deal Lex Dance. It's just a real life octopus that they are using in Germany to predict the outcome of their national side. Don't know plenty of details, but they drop 2 boxes in its tank, each one of them has a country's flag. And the country that Paul chooses, will win the match. So far in this WC, Paaul has got everything right. Even Serbia's win against Germany.

Something that was confirmed today, is that the WC will remain in Europe. This hasn't happened in 72 years since Italy won it two times in a row. And Europe take the lead ahead of South America 10-9 in terms of World Cup wins.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎