Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Flies

Title: He Flies!
    Author: daxam77
    Short summary: Superman takes to the skies for the first time in public, Lois is chosen to get the first interview and she’s still not satisfied.
    Pairing: Lois/Clark
    Rating: PG-13
    Warnings: innuendo and sexual references
    Spoilers: none
    Timeline: Obviously way after Hex…veering off into AU because it’s flights and tights!
    Disclaimers: DC owns almost every character I care about, well, except one (Zorro). We should all remember the debt we owe to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster because they began it all. But this take on Clark/Lois is based on the Welling/Durance interpretation.

Chapter 1

The Daily Planet’s headlines screamed only two words above the fold in the largest, boldest print Martha Kent had ever seen:

HE FLIES!

The various stories obtained from victims, rescue workers and witnesses filled the first four pages with the regular news of the day relegated to the second section behind all the usual ads. “Well,” she said aloud, “who needs advertising revenue when you’ve got the biggest thing to hit a news stand in the history of the press?”

“Yeah,” Clark said rather glumly, picking at his breakfast.

His mother folded the paper and placed it carefully on the table beside her. “Sweetheart, your dad would be so proud of you. I can’t begin to tell you—”

“I know, mom, I know.” He sighed. “It’s just…I don’t know…it’s not like I expected it to be.”

“What did you expect?” He just hunched his shoulders. “Clark, people are going to be surprised, stunned even. They didn’t know about you at all and then suddenly there you are saving people right and left. It was an incredible thing to happen to all of them. Son, you saved every person on that plane, and I don’t even want to think about the people that would have been killed on the ground. If that plane had hit those buildings in downtown Metropolis…” She shook her head at the thought.

“Lois would be dead,” Clark said simply. “It just wasn’t the entrance I was planning. It was so …big. Everyone was looking, taking pictures, yelling, and shouting. I couldn’t even get to Lois to see if she was all right. There must have been a hundred cameras pointing at me and cell phones, and yes, I did keep my head moving just enough so the pictures would blur, but …I kept thinking how ridiculous I must look …and that cape, I’m still not sure about that at all.”

“I think it looked marvelous.” She smiled, but she was surprised. The last thing she expected from her son was vanity. “But we can redo the whole outfit if you like.”

“But they’ve seen it now. I’m sure those pictures are …oh, god…why did I let you talk me into this? A costume with a cape. I’m never going to be able to go out in public again.”

“Oh, yes you will!” She picked up the paper once more and began reading out loud, “A majestic figure in red and blue …the impressive figure of a man in a red flowing cape…resplendently patriotic—”

“Mom!” Clark covered his ears. “That’s all well, fine, and good, but, like you said, I was saving people’s lives. They were all surprised. But when they start to tear me down, as they will, it’s going to be brutal. I can just hear Lois now…”

“You think she’s going to make fun of the man who saved her life and the lives of over 200 people because of what he was wearing?”

He opened his mouth to reply and then closed it quickly and sighed. “I don’t know. I guess I’ll find out in ten minutes, won’t I?” He gave his mom a crooked half smile and got up to leave. “Thanks for breakfast, mom. It’s great having you home.” After a quick hug, she felt her hair blow back from her face as her son sped out the door.

The Planet was already alive with people. Perry White had only been the editor for six weeks but when he called a meeting for 8:10 AM, he expected all people in attendance and ready to take orders.

Clark arrived with time to spare. He was straightening his tie as he approached Lois, who was seated at her desk and already typing. Taking a deep breath, he stepped forward, hoping he was ready for any reaction she could throw at him. Did she know? Was she going to be angry? Or worse, was she going to make fun of him?

“Hey, Lois,” he said oh-so-casually, ready to flinch at her first punch.

“Hey, Smallville,” she said automatically, never even looking up at him.

His mouth dropped. Being ignored had not been on his list. “Uh, Lois, the meeting. Um, don’t you think we should go upstairs?”

“Almost ready, Smallville. Just putting the finishing touches on…There! Perfect! Now print and …” She grabbed the page from the printer, stood up, looked at him, and smiled. “Well, let’s go.” She passed him by and turned back when he didn’t move, “What are you waiting for, Clark?”

“Uh, nothing. Apparently nothing,” Clark said, confusion and just a little irritation written on his face. “Are you okay?”

“Of course. What on earth could be wrong on a day like today?” Lois was already three steps ahead of him.

“I just wondered…you know…after yesterday and all.”

“Yeah! Pretty incredible, wasn’t it?”

“Lois, you could have died,” he said seriously as she turned to face him, having let him catch up with her.

“Oh, gee, Smallville, that’s so sweet.” Then she turned abruptly and walked on ahead again.

The meeting room was stuffed to overflowing with reporters that Clark had never even seen around the building before now. Here and there were a few who had made big names for themselves, and he knew they’d be in line to write the big stories being assigned this morning.

His eyebrows shot up when he saw a very confident Lois approaching Perry White as he entered the room. After taking one quick look at the story she’d presented to him, he handed it back to her with, “You can do better than that, Lane.” Clark bit his top lip to keep from smiling, but he was impressed that the boss knew her name already.

“Good morning, everybody!” Perry’s raised voice immediately silenced all the muttering. “People, we have a problem.” He held up the morning’s edition. “This was great.” He paused before continuing, “But what are we going to have for a follow-up? Hm? I want answers, I want background, and, most of all, I want the first interview with the flying man.”

Clark blinked when Perry’s eyes lighted on him. The past history of his meeting with Perry in Smallville washed over him in that instant, but then the gaze moved on about the room. Clark breathed again.

“Chief?” Lois actually raised her hand. “Don’t you think we need to come up with a better name than ‘the flying man?’”

“Good point, Lane? And what do you suggest?” Clark could swear Perry’s eyes had flicked over in his direction once again.

“Well, he’s pretty powerful. How about Power…Powerman?” She winced even as she said it, knowing it was just all wrong.

“Yeah….you work on that, Lane. Anyone else with any ideas?” There was general mumbling, but no one ventured any real comments. “Great. People, we’re only as good as our next edition, so I want every single one of you on this.”

“Chief? What about the Senate scandal?”

“Mr. White? The arms negotiations in Switzerland?”

“The Discovery launch tomorrow?”

“Forget them all. People, the world stood still yesterday. The world watched it on live feeds. We, the newspaper industry, can’t exactly present that, so we have to do our best with presenting the rest of the story. And that means go out there, kill it, and drag it home.” Perry looked around the room. “Do I make myself clear?” There were a lot of “Yes, sir’s” and “Of course’s” and even more head nods. “Good. Lane, Kent, my office in five.” Perry White swept from the room.

Lois looked at Clark in surprise. “What on earth…?”

“Only one way to find out… Lane.”

“Oh, stop that.”

“He knows your name. That’s good for someone whose office is still in the basement,” Clark said reasonably.

“And just how is it he knows yours…Kent?”

“Well,” Clark began, but they had arrived at Perry’s office door. He pushed it open for her and was saved from answering.

“Ah, there you are. Now, Lane, make that name thing your top priority. And, you did notice that there was an “S” on his chest? And Kent,” he turned a sharp eye to Clark, “I want you to find him.” He placed a hand on Clark’s shoulder. “I just have this gut feeling that—.”

“Are you asking us to work together on this, Mr. White?” Lois asked uncomfortably.

“That’s usually what a reporting team does.”

“Team?” They both echoed the word in unison.

“Team. Kent and Lane, Lane and Kent. Better start thinking of the billing for the bylines. Personally, I think Lane and Kent sounds a bit more euphonic, but then —”

“But, chief!”

“Lane, when I woke up this morning, I was under the impression I was the boss of the Daily Planet. Was I wrong?”

Lois visibly deflated. “No.”

“I didn’t think so.” He sat down at his desk and looked up with a puzzled look. “Didn’t I just give you two an assignment? Well?”

Before Lois could attempt another protest, Clark firmly guided her from the office while fighting a strong impulse to look back at Perry White. A nagging thought tugged at his mind. He still suspects.

Lois threw her notepad on her desk in disgust before sitting down, mimicking her boss, “There’s an ‘S’ on his chest.’”

Clark coughed to cover up a chuckle.

“And you!” Lois looked up, knowing full well what Clark had just done. “Just how are you going to go about finding this guy? Does Perry know something I don’t know?”

“Why don’t you let me worry about that one, Lois? By the way, what did you think of him?” He asked it as lightly as he could and tried not to look up for her reaction, but it was useless. He had to know.

“Well, I’m probably not a good impartial judge at this point; he did save my life yesterday. But all in all…I’d have to say…”

She took a long pause and Clark held his breath. Then she raised her head and looked straight at Clark.

“…He was amazing.” She heaved a huge sigh. “Can you believe that cape!” Another sigh.

Clark was shocked. “You liked it?”

“It was the most awesome …touch.” She drew out the word as if she were speaking of something sensual. “Hey, not even Green Arrow came up with a cape! And when he flew, the way it flowed out behind him…” She gestured with her hands, remembering the cape whipping about in the wind, then she gave yet another sigh… and a dreamy smile. “But a name…a name…something with an “S”…Smallville, I’m not thinking of anything here.” She tapped her chin with her pencil.

Clark smiled. When he had told his mom to weave an “S” in the design on the shield, he’d told her it was for Smallville, thinking of the pet name Lois had for him more than the town’s name. They both thought the “8” symbol inside the shield was too foreign, too Kryptonian, and it could be traced back to the cave symbols. The “S” within the shield that had been Jor-El’s symbol seemed far more appropriate, and it could stand for Smallville as well.

Lois was reciting words scanned from her thesaurus and tacking on ‘man’ after each one she found. “…splendid-man, stunning-man, stupendous …that’s it!”

Clark groaned and Lois jumped up excitedly to run and tell Perry her idea.

Stupendous Man? And he thought the cape was a bad idea.

Please review!
    Last edited by daxam77; 04-13-2009, 12:44 AM.

WOW!! LOL that was funny!! You should continue

Comment

ppms

Comment

at Lois

ppms

Comment

Oh my gosh! I thought I left a comment last night! I love it! Please up date soon. I love Lois

Comment

Chapter 2

“Superman?” Martha read the headline and looked at her son fearfully. “How do you feel about that?”

“Let’s just say it’s a better name than the one I thought she was going to suggest. You don’t think it’s a bit…pretentious?”

“How can it be? She makes it very clear that she thought it up; you didn’t. I think it’s catchy, and it describes your powers to a “T.”

“I suppose so. But the bigger problem is how am I going to interview me with Lois?” Perry isn’t exactly making this easy for me,” he grumbled.

“Then maybe he doesn’t know,” his mom said reasonably.

“He’s got to, mom. You should have heard the hints he dropped to me yesterday. I’ve never seen him even walk into the basement offices before, and he was there practically all day hovering around our desks.”

“Maybe he is just really impressed with the two of you as a team and wanted to observe—”

“Mom, this is a-tractor-fell-out-of-the-sky Perry White we’re talking about here. I don’t think he’s really forgotten any of that.”

“But you said he saw your hands bleeding that day. That would have to convince him you were normal. I’m sure you will think of something, dear.”

Clark picked up his briefcase and headed for the door. “Don’t wait dinner on me tonight, mom. I have a feeling I’ll be busy.

“And you’re sure he’s going to be there?” Lois asked for at least the tenth time that afternoon.

“Yes, I’m sure,” Clark said patiently, pushing up his glasses again. “He’ll be there.”

Lois checked her lipstick in her compact and touched up her bangs. Clark watched out of the corner of his eye and fought off a slight stab of jealousy. Jealousy? Impossible! You can’t be jealous of yourself.

But as he watched her take out a comb and mirror from her desk drawer, he knew he was. Lois was never one to primp, and there she was — primping.

“Maybe I should go home and change…” she mumbled under her breath.

“Lois, you’re fine. I’m sure he’s not going to notice—”

“Oh, that’s harsh, Smallville. He’s not going to notice if I look good or not? Well, I’ll thank you to keep your opinions to yourself. You aren’t even going to be there. Some help you are! How do you know he’s not going to notice—” Lois turned in her chair to look directly at Clark. “Oh, I see what you’re doing.”

“What am I doing?” Clark was lost.

“You’re psyching me out, so you can swoop in at the last minute and—”

“Steal your interview? Lois, do you really believe I’d do that?”

She was a little ashamed that she’d even let the thought enter her mind. “No, no, of course not. I’m sorry, Smallville, but this is just about the biggest story any reporter could ever have. I can’t blow it.”

“You’re not going to. You’ll do fine. I’m sure he’ll be the one to be blown away.” He turned back to his monitor and couldn’t help but add, “Especially if you leave that third button down undone.”

“Hm. You noticed?” Lois smiled. “Well, dress for a successful story.”

“Rule Number 387?”

“Cute. No, just a variation of Rule Number Three.” She took a small camera from her purse and checked the battery.

“Lois, I thought he specified no pictures.”

“He did, but…” She looked guiltily up at Clark, who had gotten up to take the camera out of her hands. “Oh, Clark, I’m sure he’d expect it. I mean, I have to have a picture if I’m going to write—”

“No, you don’t. He may have a reason he doesn’t want any pictures.”

“Like what? Plenty of people were snapping away like mad the other day. There are plenty of pictures all over the internet.”

“And not a one of them were very good shots of his face.”

“Yeah…that’s odd, isn’t it? How do you suppose they were all out of focus when it came to his face?”

“Who knows?” Clark took the camera back to his own desk. “But if you promised not to take pictures, then you shouldn’t—”

“I didn’t promise. You did. There’s a difference.” She marched right over and took the camera back from him.

“You’re right, there is, and that is, you’re not taking any.” He snatched the camera from her again and held it up and out of her reach.

“Clark! You—” She stopped, suddenly aware that their boss was standing right beside her. “Oh, hi, Mr. White. Clark here is just being a little...”

“Unreasonable? Or wise?” Perry White cleared his throat. “If the man said ‘no pictures’ then we have to honor that. I’m not going to get in bad with the single most sensational maker of news in this century. No, Lois, we can wait on that perfect picture until the man is ready. Right, Clark?”

There was that knowing look again. “Right, Mr. White.”

“Hadn’t you better get going, Lois? You don’t want to keep him waiting.”

“Sure thing, chief, I was just about to leave.” She gathered her things, eyeing the camera in Clark’s hand. There was just no way she was going to be able to get it from him again. She sighed in resignation as she scurried out the door.

“Do you know where he’s meeting her, Clark?”

“The roof of the Metro building.”

“Hm. Well, why don’t you take the rest of the afternoon off, son. I’m sure you’ve got something else you could be doing.”

“It’s only three, sir.” Clark was surprised. It was not often he got off on time, let alone early.

“Yes, but I made only two assignments of both of you. You certainly accomplished yours in a hurry. Just be sure to keep that line of contact open, will you?”

Clark started to reply but realized there were very few things he could say that would not be a blatant lie. He settled for a simple “Yes, sir.”

“And, Clark,” Perry turned back to him at the doorway, “be careful.” He went out the door leaving Clark with only one thought. He knows.

Comment

Made of awesome! And disregard the part in my PM about the roof scene...I confused this story with one I read on FF.net...*facepalm*

I love the Clark/Lois...And how you incorporated the rules.

Perry knows! Like knows knows

AWESOME!

Comment

great!

Comment

SO NICE ppms

Comment

Originally posted by daxam77
                    “Lane, when I woke up this morning, I was under the impression I was the boss of the Daily Planet. Was I wrong?”
                    He is SO Perry White. I love this! The story is obviously very good and humorous, Lois and Clark are well-written, but PERRY WHITE IS SIMPLY BRILLIANT! Keep going!

Comment

So cool, post more

Comment

Another great story you got going Karen.

Looking forward to reading your next update.

Post soon.

Comment

Love Perry!

Comment

ooooooooooooo GO PERRY GO PERRY GO GO GO PERRY!!!

Comment

Thanks so much for the reviews, everybody!

Chapter 3

He watched her from two buildings away to the south, trying to get up the nerve to fly to her. Would she recognize him? Would she let on if she did? This was totally unknown territory and the best test he could face for this dual identity thing. Had he laid enough groundwork? Was his disguise as thin as he suspected it to be? The semi-darkness would help, but then there was his voice. Could he lower it enough and be consistent while having a conversation with someone as nosey, as worrisome as Lois? He had already decided to try for the accent he’d heard from Jor-El. Maybe that would help give him the distance he needed from his own identity. He’d be playing a role, nothing more.

When she started to shiver, he knew he had to make the decision to do this or not. With one last look of trepidation, he launched himself into the air.

Dusk was falling when Lois arrived on the rooftop. There was a slight chill in the April air but only, thankfully, an even slighter breeze. Her thin blouse surely would be enough. She fiddled with her third button. The nerve of Clark Kent! She unbuttoned a forth as she paced back and forth, her nervousness growing by the minute.

The minutes passed slowly, and she looked to the skies for a caped figure. Her frustration grew as she tapped one foot on the rough concrete. “Oh, crap!” She lowered her head, reached up, and quickly buttoned again not one, but two buttons.

She waited

Miss Lane?”

She spun around in place toward the voice, startled even though she had expected him to make an entrance just like this. He stood on the ledge, a drop-off of forty stories just inches from his heels. For a man who could fly, she guessed it wasn’t a problem. The lights of the city below framed him against a darkening sky. His features were all but hidden in the twilight. She wondered briefly if he’d planned it this way.

“Hi…uh…”

“I believe you named me Superman.”

She made a mental note of the huskiness of his voice. “How do you feel about that?” She winced in preparation for his possible objection to the name and took a step toward him.

“It’s …fine, Miss Lane. I hope I can live up to it.”

“You already have. Thank you for saving my life, by the way.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Do you mind?” She took out her note pad and casually took another step toward the ledge.

“Not at all.”

“Well, here’s the drill. Who, what, when, where, and why …just let me have it.”

He smiled in spite of himself. “The five W’s. A reporter through and through, are you not, Miss Lane?”

“You got it. Now the ‘who’ is obviously … well, you. The ‘what’ I’m not so sure about, but I think that goes with the ‘how.’ Jump in here any time, big guy. I’m ready and waiting.” And nervous as hell, she added in her mind, but despite that, she bravely inched her way once again toward where he stood.

“Well, since all of those tie in with the ‘where,’” he saw her smile, “I will start by telling you that I am from another planet, a planet called Krypton.”

“Krypton? Like the element?” She smirked, spread her arms wide and took another step. “Couldn’t you come up with a more original name than that?”

“I did not name it. That it shared a name with one of your elements is merely a coincidence.”

“Shared? Past tense?”

“You’re very observant, Miss Lane. Yes, shared. Krypton no longer exists. I was sent here years ago.”

“Then there’s the ‘why.’ But why here?”

“There are only so many…” He had started his answer with a full thought, but she seemed to be only a few feet away from him all of a sudden. Since when did she get this close to him? Was she trying to get a better look at his face? The light was much better from this angle. He cleared his throat and struggled to continue his sentence, “uh…only so many…uh…class M planets in the 28 known inhabited galaxies.” As soon as she looked down at her pad to make a notation, he jumped down from the ledge and again realigned himself against the light so his face would be in shadow once more.

“Do all the …sorry, did all the people of Krypton have your amazing powers?”

“I …no. The yellow sun gives me my powers on Earth.”

“Hmm…We all saw your incredible strength. I’m assuming you’re pretty invincible or you’d have been crushed under the weight of the plane. Then there’s the …awesome ability to fly, but anything else?”

“All of my senses are…” He searched for a word.

“Super?” she supplied, and she saw him nod. Scratching something down on her pad again, she began to slowly circle him. “And just how good is your vision?”

Before he realized what she was up to, he turned with her until he felt the light once more on his face. Did the girl never give up? He stepped to his right to avoid letting her get between him and the brightest area of light. “I can see through just about everything, Miss Lane.”

“Oh my!” Her mind raced through all the implications the word ‘everything’ might mean and her face showed some alarm.

Miss Lane, I never misuse my powers.”

“Good to know.” She swallowed. “So you’re here to do what? Save people? Patrol the skies? Fight for truth, justice and the American Way?”

“That sounds about right. Mainly, I want to give people hope.”

“Hope?” She looked at him suspiciously, then she looked down at her pad once more. “You know, last week, I would have laughed at that line. But today, having been aboard the plane that you stopped from plummeting into downtown Metropolis, I must say the sight of you and that symbol on your chest gives me just that. I haven’t been able to put my finger on it until now, but that’s it. Hope. Everyone on that plane knew they were dead. Time did that funny thing it does in moments like that and slowed to a crawl, giving us all plenty of time to think about it too. We all knew it was the end. Today we’re all alive and well, thanks to you.”

“My pleasure.”

After an awkward moment, the interview continued. She asked many probing questions, general and specific. He marveled at her preparation, knowing how little time she’d had. More than once he caught himself thinking with pride, “she really is good at this.” Then his mind would have to snap back to the present to answer yet another question.

After almost two hours, she saw him turn his head as if listening to something far away, and flex his hands into fists. He was itching to get away from her. “Is that enough for your article?” he asked politely.

“That depends. Will I be able to talk with you again if I have any more questions?”

“Of course.”

“How do I get in touch with you?” She looked down at her pad again ready to write.

“I’ll be…around. I’ll contact Clark Kent periodically. You can tell him if you need to talk to me.”

“And just how do you know—” but she looked up again and he was gone, “Clark?”
                              Last edited by daxam77; 05-06-2009, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎