Clear All

• Well

Title: Well
    Author: daxam77
    Pairing: Lois/Clark
    Rating: G
    Warnings: none
    Spoilers: none
    Short summary: Clark and Lois find themselves trapped in a well. Takes place after Requiem and obviously a few weeks after Clark figures out that flying thing.
    Disclaimers: DC owns almost every character I care about, well, except one (Zorro). We should all remember the debt we owe to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster because they began it all. But this take on Clark/Lois is all Welling/Durance.

Author’s note: This is a little one-shot* idea that struck me tonight and had to make it to a page. It’s my first actual completed Smallville story, if you can even call it that. It’s more like just a scene really. But I had to get myself started in the world of Smallville fiction to see if anyone likes my way with words.

*Second Author's note: The one-shot turned into a multi-chapter story thanks to a little prodding!

The Kent farmhouse

Kneeling before his mother in his simple jeans and tee-shirt, Clark barely heard the words, “Lex took her, son,” before he was on his way after them. He had found her on the floor of the kitchen, massaging the big bump on the back of her head. His mom probably needed some medical attention but she was all right for now. Lois needed him more.

He was in the air within seconds and scanning the ground, looking for the woman that had become so important to him. He knew a part of him would die if anything happened to her.

Five miles away, he spotted the Porsche. Its engine was running, but the car was deserted. He landed beside it, turned off the motor, and listened. They were running. He took to the air again and saw them emerge from a line of trees and onto Shuster’s Field. Lois was running with Lex almost on her heels.

Clark landed with perfect timing and grabbed Lex by the back of his shirt, bringing him to a stop. Lois kept running, oblivious to his arrival.

“Clark? Where—” Lex was stunned at the sudden appearance of his former friend. He didn’t have time for any further words before Clark reached forward and tapped him on the forehead with a finger. Lex sank like a stone to the grass.

Looking up quickly, Clark saw Lois suddenly disappear mid-stride into the earth itself. The world stood still around him as he took off once more, moving faster than any eye could see.

The abandoned well was about six feet in diameter and forty feet deep. Clark reached the bottom before Lois and caught her in his arms, being careful to give way to the impact just enough to cushion her fall. He saw the surprise on her face only a second before his own face flashed the same emotion.

All at once, the pain registered in every cell of his body and his legs collapsed beneath him. The familiar paralyzing effects of Kryptonite were evident in his writhing veins as he felt Lois fall clumsily right on top of him.

“Clark!” Lois couldn’t even register what had happened, where they were, or how in the world Clark had come to be there at all. She scrambled to her feet, trying to grasp the situation. In seconds, she was back on the ground, kneeling beside Clark

“Oh-god-oh-god-oh-god…” Her hands were all over him, feeling for broken bones, and she was so afraid she was going to find them. “Clark, stay with me here, okay?”

Clark only groaned and said a very weak, “Lois?”

“No, don’t move, you might have a broken back or a broken —” She gulped. The panic rose in her throat like bile. “Don’t even go there, Lois,” she whispered half to herself. “Okay, Clark, where does it hurt, babe?” she asked soothingly. When he gave no response, she switched to full out yelling. “Come on, Smallville, you stay with me!” At last she saw his eyelids flutter open. “Yeah, that’s it. That’s it. Now, just tell me where it hurts and don’t you dare say—”

“Lois… listen to me,” Clark breathed the words, rather than said them. “You’ve got …to…”

“I am, Smallville, I am. I’m listening.” She felt the tears welling up in her eyes but wiped at them furiously, refusing to let them fall. Now was no time to lose it. “Just tell me what to do!”

“Lois… look around.” She could see he was having trouble breathing and her thoughts went at once to broken ribs. Her hands began probing his sides.

“Yes, Clark, anything, just —”

“Do you see any… green… rocks?”

Lois bit her lip. Oh, God! It’s his head. He must have hit his head. Please, God, don’t let him have any —

"Lois?" Clark said weakly.

Her eyes went wide and she shook her head furiously, repeating over and over to herself, “No, no, no, no, no, no—”

“Lois!” This time his voice rang out loudly and clearly and echoed off the walls above them. The sound of it calmed her. “Lois, they’ll be …glowing.”

“Green rocks, right! Clark…”

“Lois, humor me… for once.” Did she actually see him grin at her? Then he groaned in obvious pain and it sent her into action. She jumped up and looked around wildly.

“Okay, okay, green rocks.” She set her teeth into a tight grin herself. “Yes, Clark, there are green rocks. Happy? We’re in a fix here. You’re hurt, talking out of your head, we’ve got a hell of a climb ahead of us, and no one but a bald-headed fiend knows we’re anywhere near here.”

“Just…can you …gather the rocks … and get them away from me…as far as you can?”

“Oh sure, sure.” She didn’t even hide the sarcasm in her voice. She was scared half out of her mind and here Clark was clearly wholly out of his, but sure, she’d get rid of the stupid green rocks, if that’s what it took to humor him. “I know green has never been one of your colors, Smallville, but don’t you think this is being a trifle, shall we say, oh, I don’t know… picky?”

She angrily scooped up a green rock and heaved it with all her might up to the mouth of the well. At least she was doing something, anything, to take her mind off of all the possible injuries that Clark must have. “I swear, Clark,” she threw the words at him over her shoulder as she picked up and threw rock after rock toward the distant opening in the ground above them, “we’d better get out of this and you’d better get over whatever hurts you’ve got quickly, because I’m going to kill you once…”

“Is this quickly enough for you?”

She turned at the sound of Clark’s normal tone and saw him rise to his feet, a little unsteadily, but with spinal column intact and all limbs functioning. Then she saw the beautiful, maddening… lovely smile on his face that drove all thoughts of murder from her mind.

“Clark!”

Then she rushed to him and threw her arms around his neck. Before her lips touched his, he lifted her in his arms and flew with her up to the light, quickly past the torturous green stones, now scattered on the ground around the well. He landed gently with his precious cargo a few yards from the spot in the open field where a still unconscious Lex Luthor lay.

Lois only had eyes for Clark as she watched him lift the man by his Italian leather belt, fly with the distasteful load to the grey sports car, and deposit him unceremoniously in the front seat.

Brushing his hands together as if he’d just taken care of the trash, he said, “He should be out at least until I can get you back home and we can get the police out here.” He smiled a little sheepishly at Lois. He could only imagine all the questions he was going to be hammered with once she found her voice again. Well, it was about time she knew the truth. And no matter how she took it, it would be a relief for her to know so they could get on with their lives, hopefully together.

But then his face darkened, and his tone changed. “You know, you asked for this. After what you printed in your article, I’m not surprised he came after you himself, instead of hiring someone else for the job. You just can’t do that, Lois. You have to have a little common sense and not be so reckless. And if you ever – EVER – put anything like that in a story again, I’ll—”

“You’ll what? Be there for me?”

“Definitely.”

She opened her mouth and he knew the questions were about to begin. He closed the distance between them, put a finger on her lips to stem the flow, and lifted her once more in the air. Before she could get over the sudden change in altitude, he asked, “Did you call me ‘babe?”

The End

(Okay, so maybe not...I've added much more late on in the thread)
    Last edited by daxam77; 04-12-2009, 11:23 PM. Reason: You're right, devilneedsaride, no one is reading these...

oh make this a muplitely chapter story because this was awesome very good!

Comment

wow this was really good!

I love the quick reading and the pace of the story!

Clark handled Lex beautifully! I don't know where this was placed or at what time spoilers speaking but it was magnificent!

Really cool and i loved the frantic way Lois was searching for injuries the dialogue was excellent too!

Please keep writing! i demand it!

Comment

sweet!

Comment

Great story, you should consider doing more to this story.

Comment

"Did you call me 'babe' ?" HAHAHAHAHAHA LMFAO!!!!

Awesome story, thank you for posting it!

Comment

Aw...really enjoyed this quick one. So missing the Clois

Comment

Great story. Loved it. Is it possible for us to have another chapter where Clark tells her about himself?

Comment

Love it

Comment

that was pretty darn interesting! cute as well!

~K

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I just edited a few lines. (Thanks Devilneedsaride for the suggestions!) I'll work on a part two. Some new ideas have come to me.

Comment

goody more on it's way

Comment

Chapter 2

Lois looked down at the ground speeding by underneath them.

“Smallville, you’re not going to forget how to do this all of a sudden, are you? Or …drop me?”

“I doubt it.” He looked at her. “I promise I will not drop you. This is scaring you, isn’t it?”

“No, no,” she said a little too nervously. “Farm Boy is flying through the air without an airplane as if it’s the most natural thing in the world. What’s there to be afraid of in that?”

“I think I like ‘Smallville’ or even ‘babe’ better than Farm Boy.”

“Sure thing, Smallville. I’m probably in no position to negotiate right now.” She looked down again and saw the Kent farm looming into sight. “Does your mom know?”

“What?”

“Does your mom know…” she hesitated, “you know, does she know you can…fly?”

“Actually, no. I … well, it’s only been a few days since I —”

“A few days?” Lois held onto his neck a bit tighter and was relieved when she felt him touch the ground again just outside the barn. She noted they were just outside the view from the kitchen window. Then she looked back at Clark standing there in simple jeans and a tee shirt and the enormity of what he had just done struck her.

Clark could fly!

“Lois?” Clark started toward the house but turned back to her when she didn’t move. “Are you coming? I want to make sure mom’s okay.”

“Right, right.” Lois stuffed her hands in the pockets of her jeans and followed him.

Lois sat in the passenger seat of Clark’s truck, nibbling at her nails.

Clark looked over frequently to search her face for any clue as to how her mind was working. She hadn’t said a word since they’d left the farm.

The scene in the kitchen had been strange. After making sure his mom was truly okay and being assured there was no way she was going to go see a doctor about a little thing like a lump on the back of her head, the talk had turned to what had happened to Lois.

“She managed to get away from him, mom.” His voice was tinged with just a hint of pride.

“But how?” Martha Kent asked as she winced and took the ice bag from her son. He was applying a bit too much pressure and was not helping as much as he thought he was.

“Well, guys do have soft spots, you know.” Lois said absently.

“Ouch.” Clark covered his eyes. “You did that while he was driving? Are you nuts? He could have wrecked the car with you in it!”

“Would you rather that I had let him take me to wherever he planned to dump my lifeless body?” She shrugged. “I got away.”

“I would have been there in a few more moments. I was coming after you as fast as I could —”

“Clark!” Martha and Lois cried out his name a little too loudly at the same time and with the same warning tone.

“Shouldn’t you be getting Lois down to the Sheriff’s office?” Martha spoke at the same time as Lois said, “We should be going now.”

Clark looked back and forth between the women with a confused expression. They were looking at him and at each other with tightened smiles. What was he missing here?

“Mom, I think I need to tell—”

“Come on, Clark. I’m sure he’s waiting.” Lois was practically pulling him from the room as he grabbed for the keys to the truck.

“Yes, sweetheart, maybe you should go.”

As he turned back at the door, he saw his mother mouth “Be careful,” at him with a pointed glance in Lois’ direction.

And now she was sitting in his truck, totally, completely silent. This couldn’t be good. They were within a few blocks of the Sheriff’s office when Clark suddenly pulled the car over and parked on the side of the street. Even that didn’t dent Lois’ concentration on her own thoughts. He turned in the seat and grabbed one of her hands in his.

“Lois, I thought you’d stopped biting your nails.”

“Huh? Oh, Clark. Are we here? Let’s get this over with then.”

“We have a few minutes. What was with all those strange looks back there at the house? You’re not okay with any of this, are you?” He had been ready to tell her everything and now his heart was tearing apart, thinking she was not going to be able to handle it all.

“Clark. Listen. I don’t think you should tell your mom. It’s only going to worry her right now. She doesn’t need this. We can figure this out together. With Chloe’s help, we can find the right kind of doctors that you’re going to need and —”

“Doctors? Why would—”

“Look, I know this flying thing is kind of neat. Fun even. But you know what those meteor rocks can do to people. You’ve seen Chloe’s Wall of Weird. The people affected by those things all start out the same way. And it can’t end well, Clark. You know that. Even though it’s okay for now and I know you’d like to be able to keep doing it, but you can’t. You just can’t. You’ve got to stay away from those rocks. Promise me you will?”

“Lois, I promise you I don’t go around meteor rocks voluntarily.” He shook his head and tried not to laugh. She was being so earnest; it was very endearing.

“Good. That’s a relief. At least they haven’t started affecting your mind yet. But we need to be careful. There are pockets of those rocks all over Smallville and there might be some level of infection you have to cross before it starts doing things to you, like a drug, you know?” For someone that had remained quiet for the past half hour, it seemed now she was spilling out every thought that tumbled into her head. There’s got to be some way to —”

“Lois?” Clark tried to stem the flow of words.

“But you said only a few days. So maybe it hasn’t, you know, gotten too big a hold on you yet. Maybe—”

“Lois, the meteor rocks affect me, but they—”

“I know, Clark. I know. You think you’re different. You think you can handle it. But really, with your history with my cousin, you really should know by now that you can’t—”

“They aren’t the reason I can fly. I’m also strong—”

“Well, of course, you’re strong, Clark. I’ve seen how strong you are. You picked me up and moved me out of a doorway stiff-arm style that first night I met you. Why wouldn’t you be strong after all that bailing hay and wrangling cows and—”

“I don’t ‘wrangle cows’!” He couldn’t help it. He had to laugh.

“Just don’t think that being strong can keep this kind of thing from affecting you just like all those other people. I’m sure they thought the same way at first. It’s good we’re catching this so early. We can get help.”

“We?” He liked the sound of that, but this was getting out of hand.

“There’s got to be something we can do about this.” She went back to chewing her nails. “There’s got to be.”

Clark heaved a big sigh and looked at his watch. They needed to go now. This wasn’t going to be a good time to explain. He only hoped Lois’ state of mind wasn’t going to prevent her from giving a good statement about Lex.

“Lois, we need to go. We’re going to talk about this later, okay?”

“Sure, sure. But you’re not telling your mom about the meteor rocks, you hear me?”

“Mom knows about the meteor rocks, Lois.”

“But you said—”

“I know what I said. I also know what you heard and they are two completely different things. Just…Lois, just…stop worrying. It’s going to be fine. I promise. Now let’s go make sure Lex stays where he belongs, behind bars.”

Comments are welcome.
                          Last edited by daxam77; 03-28-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

hahah i loved Lois in panic mode!
                            Great addition.

Comment

tell me there's more on the way

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎