No announcement yet.

Dan Didio on bringing back Barry Allen

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yaseen101
    I have to disagree with you on that one BG, Darkseid used 'Omega Sanction' not 'Omega Beams', the death which is life, apparently Batman's mind is now in a constant state experiencing failure after failure, the fate worse than death Morrison talked about. As for why his body was charred I have no idea about that, but I do know that Darkseid specifically said Omega Sanction. Also anyone get the feeling that Morrison is setting up a Kamandi esque world with the Tiger people and the Faceless Peace Corps Lord Eye was talking about. It looks like everyone is going to relocate to another earth in the wake of FC.

On another note, even IF Batman is dead, he didn't go out like a chump like most heroes tend to. In a way it brings him full circle a gun created Batman and Batman ended the greatest evil with a gun.
    I guess we're over the spoiler tags. You'll also note that I put killed in quotes for a reason, yaseen.

The point is that this is an editor who made it his personal mission to bring back Hal and Barry because he felt that they were the absolute definitive versions of Green Lantern and Flash respectively. He made it a goal. According to him, if he accomplished two things as editor, those would be the two things he would have picked, because those guys simply ARE Green Lantern and Flash.

Yet, at the same time, what does he do? He takes Superman out of Action Comics, Bruce Wayne out of Batman, Diana's fate in Wonder Woman is still anyone's guess, and launches a weekly series that basically has the sub-title: A year without Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

So, this editor, who thinks the most important thing he can do in his job is to make sure that when people turn to the comics, they see the definitive versions of the characters they know and love represented brings back Hal and Barry... but look at what he's doing to the big three. Anyone else see any contradictions there?

And as far as the whole "full circle" thing is concerned... Maybe, MAYBE, I just don't like Grant Morrison... I fully admit that... BUT... even the slightest hint that Bruce Wayne's final act as Batman is firing a gun (even though we all know damn well it won't be), to me, is borderline sacriligeous. To me, it's as out of place as if he had yelled out "Yippe kye-yay motherf***er" just before he shot him... or if it was Superman instead and he had said something like, "I usually don't kill, but with you I'm making an exception" and then punched a hole through Darkseid's face. There are things these players don't do, and Batman doesn't fire guns... it's a major taint right now on his legacy in my opinion. Luckily, I know full well that he'll be back soon enough, and it's probably more just launching him into a new chapter of his life, rather than ending it entirely.
    Last edited by Backward Galaxy; 01-18-2009, 09:17 AM.

Comment

I understand how you feel and a big 'oops' for forgetting about the spoiler tags, heh heh. I think what Didio is trying to do here is to bring back the people he thinks are definitive versions of the characters like Barry= Flash and Hal = Green Lantern at the same times he is trying to further the legacy aspect of the DC Universe essentially have people like Kara, Guradian, Mon-El, (new) Nightwing & Flamebird, Dick Grayson, Damien, Donna Troy and Cassie replace the big three. Which in itself creates a bigger problem since he is trying knock two birds with one stone with bad aim.

Moreover, another point is that now all of the big three has blood on their hands, Wonder woman killed Maxwell Lord and Batman killed/wounded Darkseid (which took sometime for me to stomach) and Superman killed those Alternate Universe Zod and Ursa years ago. Three of them has done killings and even pledged to kill at times like Batman during Infinite Crisis and Superman has numerous times lost his cool and shouted 'I'll kill you!'. Yet when Wonder woman killed Maxwell Lord it essentially stuck to the character like glue and she did what she had to do given the situation and yet despite the fact that Batman and Superman both have been in similar situation they fail to understand. Just pointing that out.

Anyway here is the love letter... I mean solicit for Flash: Rebirth #1:

THE FLASH: REBIRTH #1
      Written by Geoff Johns
      Art and covers by Ethan Van Sciver
      Through the decades, many heroes have taken the mantle of The Flash, but they all ride the lightning that crackles in the wake of the greatest hero the DC Universe has ever known, the man who sacrificed himself to save the Multiverse: Barry Allen!
      Following the events of FINAL CRISIS, Barry has beaten death and returned to a fast-paced world that a man out of time wouldn’t recognize. Or is it a world that is only just now catching up? All the running he’s done before was just a warmup for the high-speed race that he and every other Flash must now run, because even though one speedster might have beaten death, another has just turned up dead! From Geoff Johns and Ethan Van Sciver, the visionaries responsible for the blockbuster GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH and THE SINESTRO CORPS WAR, comes the start of an explosive and jaw-dropping epic that will reintroduce to the modern age the hero who single-handedly birthed the Silver Age of comics! DC history will be made, and the Flash legacy will be redefined!
      On sale April 1 • 1 of 5 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Comment

Through the decades, many heroes have taken the mantle of The Flash, but they all ride the lightning that crackles in the wake of the greatest hero the DC Universe has ever known, the man who sacrificed himself to save the Multiverse: Barry Allen!
        After seeing this quote, I'm going to have to refuse to buy this comic. Barry's cool and all, but "they all ride the lightning that crackles in the wake of the greatest hero the dc universe has ever known"? Come on! I guess once you become editor you get to push your favorites to the forefront, but I find it ridiculous. It's a good point that BG made when he said that he's so damn excited to get the definitive versions of Green Lantern and Flash back in comics, but at the same time he's pushing the definitive versions of other characters right down the crapper. Man, I used to like this guy, but now I can't wait until he's either out the door, or shuts up.

Comment

Yeah, what about Jay Garrick? Max Mercury? or even Johnny Quick, after all Jay is Barry's big inspiration and him becoming Flash was essentially carrying on the Flash legacy.

Comment

DC keeps getting worse and worse, hopefully Darkest night will be awsome, that Im reading, staying away from Flash, not cause I dont like Barry but out of respect for Wally and Bart (who was awsome in his fast run (pun intended) through the Flash legacy). I feel like Id be cheating them

Comment

I'm with you on that. Oh and it's Blackest Night.

Comment

True, Blackest Night, dont know what I was thinkin, I hope they pick up where they left, I believe it was the anti-monitor screaming in pain and a light apearing, I was kind of intrigued by that, lets hope its awsome. Im also glad I get to see more Kyle, miss him since ION finished.
                Last edited by Kal-ed; 01-24-2009, 03:53 AM.

Comment

You could catch Kyle & Guy in Green Lantern Corps, it focuses specifically on them, setting up the other Corps and fleshing them out AND setting up the status of the GLC for Blackest Night. It's written by Peter Tomasi so it's pretty much a must read.

Comment

You could catch Kyle & Guy in Green Lantern Corps, it focuses specifically on them, setting up the other Corps and fleshing them out AND setting up the status of the GLC for Blackest Night. It's written by Peter Tomasi so it's pretty much a must read.
                    Quick question, since you're reading GLC... How come Fatality is white now?

Comment

I have to be honest, I just started reading it, starting from the 'baby kidnapping' arc with Kyle and the Purple Lanterns teaming up and I loved it (especially the last scene with a shitload of GL's quitting the Corps because of the new rule). I have no idea who Fatality is, since I'm just starting to get into the GL world.

Comment

I have to be honest, I just started reading it, starting from the 'baby kidnapping' arc with Kyle and the Purple Lanterns teaming up and I loved it (especially the last scene with a shitload of GL's quitting the Corps because of the new rule). I have no idea who Fatality is, since I'm just starting to get into the GL world.
                        Ah.

Yes, the GL's quitting the Corp because of the new law was excellent.

Fatality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatality_(comics)

Notice how the character is black. Also notice that Fatality as a member of the Star Sapphires is depicted as white. I find that odd, unless I am missing something... which is entirely possible.

Comment

It could have been a side-effect of the Purple Lanterns 'rehabilitating' her. We'll just have to see I guess. Like I said I'm only starting to get into the GL world.

Comment

Originally posted by Backward Galaxy
                            Ah.

Yes, the GL's quitting the Corp because of the new law was excellent.

Fatality: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatality_(comics)

Notice how the character is black. Also notice that Fatality as a member of the Star Sapphires is depicted as white. I find that odd, unless I am missing something... which is entirely possible.
                            Since I'm not keeping up with much lately, what's the new law causing people to quit the Corps?

Comment

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
                              Since I'm not keeping up with much lately, what's the new law causing people to quit the Corps?
                              The Previous Ten Laws of the Book of Oa:

1. Protect life and liberty within the assigned sector.
                              2. Follow the orders of the Guardians without question.
                              3. Do not interfere with a planet's culture, political structure, or its population's collective will.
                              4. Act within local laws and obey the local authority within reason.
                              5. Take no action against anyone or anything until they are proven to be a threat against life and liberty.
                              6. Refuse to use the equipment, resources or authority of The Corps for personal gain.
                              7. Show respect for and cooperate with other members of the Corps and the Guardians.
                              8. Show respect for life which includes restraint of force unless there is no reasonable alternative.
                              9. Give top priority to the greatest danger in the assigned sector.
                              10. Uphold the honor of the Corps.

The New Laws: (Only 3 of the 10 are known at this time)

1. Lethal force is authorized to be used against members of the Sinestro Corps.
                              2. Lethal force is authorized to be used against all enemies of the Green Lantern Corps. (a little redundant if you ask me)
                              3. Physical relationships and love between members of the Green Lantern Corp are/is forbidden.

In GL Corp #32, the implementation of this third law resulted in MANY Green Lanterns resigning from their position. Not surprisingly, the rings seemed to return to Oa in pairs. In the same issue, a member of the Star Sapphire Corp warned Green Lanterns Soranik and Kyle Rayner that they needed to allow love into their hearts. Kyle and Soranik peered into the Sapphire's crystal and saw each other, hinting that Kyle and Soranik may fall in love in the future... and possibly even become members of the Sapphire Corp, but that's speculation on my part.

Comment

Due to the fact that a Sinestro Corps member Kryb was kidnapping the children of various Green Lanterns, the guardians decreed that 'Love and Physical relationships between members of the Green Lantern Corps is forbidden from this day forth.' As usual that ended up blowing up in their faces and will probably play into Blackest Night.

Other developments for Blackest Night occurred in 'Nightwing' when Talia stole DNA samples from various dead heroes to build an army but Nightwing stopped her and all the corpses of dead superheroes were placed inside a vault built by John Henry Irons.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎