Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odyssey: The Complete "All The While."

Genre: Romance/Angst
    Pairing: Clark and Lois
    Rating: G(I think. There are two mild 'a$$es'. 8D)
    Summary: I was asked to gather some of my stories scattered around the forum into one thread, so I'm reposting here. This is the 'All The While' trilogy, with inter- and afterlude. In fact, there's scope for more stories in Clark and Lois's gap year. Hmm. Jeez, I'm making a rod for my own back with this story.

N.B: It's far too long, and I don't know how to break it up into separate postings, so if someone could do me a favor and just post 'spacers' so I can break up the chapters? That would be cool.

EDIT: If anyone's curious about the soundtrack to this fic, courtesy of Elfman101...

Part I: All the while

Kate Rusby - “You Belong To Me.”

“See the pyramids along the Nile,
    See the sunrise from a tropic isle,
    Just remember, darling, all the while,…”

They got so loud sometimes, people at the other tables couldn’t help but overhear. Some frowned at them over paperbacks, trying to make them feel their displeasure, but the wiser ones smiled, as if they’d been let in on a secret.

“I never thought you were that jaded,” Clark said. He sipped at his coffee and grimaced. They had been arguing so long, it had gone stone cold.

“I never thought you were that naďve,” Lois shot back. “I’m telling you, that song is about a possessive lover.”

“Are you puttin' me on?”

“Oh, come on,” Lois grinned, knowing how easy he was to bait. “It’s someone saying that no matter where you go in the world, I own you. Wilma, property of Fred.” She lifted her leg and mimed a stamp on her butt to illustrate her point, smirking as Clark raised an eyebrow.

“No, no, no,” he shook his head, incensed and loving every minute. “It’s about a lover’s promise. It’s saying, no matter where you go in the world, don’t forget me, and come home to me.”

“Granted, first listen, it sounds all sappy and romantic, but listen to it closer. It’s saying, no matter where you go in the world, I can get to you. Might as well be a stalker’s anthem.”

Clark choked back a laugh, almost spitting his coffee across the table.

“Jeez, Smallville, say it, don’t spray it.”

He was silent for a moment, remembering how he came by the nickname. After Lois found him, amnesiac and naked in a cornfield, she drove him to hospital. Since he couldn’t remember his name, and since she hated uncomfortable silences, she started calling him things like ‘Johnny Smallville’ or ‘Smallville Joe.’ The ‘Smallville’ part sort of stuck. Most of the time, he only pretended to hate it. That was their game.

“I always thought that was what love was supposed to be, you know? You leave a part of yourself with someone, and they give you a part of themselves back?”

Lois sat back and crossed her legs, thinking it over. “I don’t know about that. I figure if you love someone, you don’t ask them to give up ANY part of themselves.”

“It’s not giving up, it’s sharing a little. And if you love someone, maybe you don’t even have to ask.”

Lois shook her head. “I’m not sure I could do that.”

Clark’s eyebrows shot up. “You're kidding. You’d fight dragons with your bare hands for the people you love. Remember when you thought Chloe was dead, you came charging to Smallville? When your sister needed you, you went all over Europe looking for her. You even ran through a meteor storm, a METEOR STORM…to save my family.”

She blushed slightly. “That’s different.”

Clark smiled at her warmly. “Not the way I see it.”

He had a way of doing that, making her feel ten feet tall as easily as shooting the breeze. Lois reached over, plucked his glasses from his face and pulled her sleeve over her hand. “Surprised you can see anything through all that road dust, Smallville.”

He grinned, warming their coffees discreetly with his heat vision, while Lois polished his lenses with the soft sleeve of her sweater. She was always fussing at him lately, straightening his tie, squaring his shoulders, brushing down his coat.

“How did we get onto this, anyway?” Lois asked.

He shrugged his shoulders. “Who knows where ANY of our little chats end up lately?”

It was true. Some time ago, they’d found their conversations taking unexpected turns; they might start talking about dinner, and two hours later find themselves telling each other what they got for their eleventh birthday. They’d drawn some odd looks, particularly from their families. Even though it was never spoken of, they knew what everyone thought, but it wasn’t like that. They just moved past pretending to hate each other and actually became friends. Lois gave Clark a kick in the rear (metaphorically speaking) when he started brooding, and Clark could soothe Lois when she got angry or upset. It was a system and it worked for them.

She looked over at him, staring deep into his coffee cup. Even when he was quiet like this, she’d grown used to his company. There was something calming about his presence, like a warm blanket after a storm. He listened when she said she wanted to quit her journalism studies, and then just asked her the last time she quit on anything. He seemed to get her, even on mundane things like when he guessed her natural hair was chestnut brown. Not only brown, but chestnut brown. She’d grown it out again recently; not for him, she thought it’d make her look more scholarly. In fact, she’d felt the need to change her whole style. She was tired of being seen in that way. Of course, she told this to Clark and he’d just nodded; he understood. It often amazed her that even when he was a perfect stranger to her, she found herself telling all her secrets, things not even her beloved cousin knew.

‘Maybe it’s because he’s good at keeping secrets,’ she thought. ‘Or maybe it’s just because I trust him.’

The last thought surprised her, but she knew it was so. And then another thought occurred to her that made her smile.

‘Or maybe it’s because he keeps getting amnesia, the big tree.’

“Look at me.”

Clark looked up, his clear green eyes briefly meeting Lois’ rich hazel ones as she leaned across the table and set his glasses gently back on his face. He’d started wearing them after a few close calls last year, trying to throw off suspicion with an appearance of vulnerability.

“You ever think about getting contacts?”

She almost laughed as Clark scrunched his nose like a child.

“I don’t like wearing them. They make my eyes itch.” He raised a mock suave eyebrow, pushing the stylish tortoiseshell frames askew on his nose, and in his best Sean Connery, (which wasn’t very good) “Beshides, glashes sheem to make me look shex-shay.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Better than those Godawful plaid shirts, anyway. You looked like a giant bar chart.”

Clark laughed deep in his chest, as he often did around Lois. It was true he’d phased the plaid out of his wardrobe eventually, along with the loud jackets, gotten his hair cut into a neater style, still with some length in it; he had a habit of running his hands through his hair when he was frustrated. There had been a change in him; he wasn’t sure exactly when it happened, but he suspected it had more than a little to do with Lois. She’d come barrelling through his small world like a twister, turned everything upside down, and it wasn’t until later he realized that was what he needed. She stiffened his spine, told him what he needed to hear even if he didn’t want to hear it. She never let him alone, but never let him feel alone. She was still obnoxious and pushy and loud. And challenging and compassionate and fiercely loyal. She was never dull, at least. He smiled as he straightened his glasses. He realized he’d developed a tolerance for Lois. Like measles.

“So, have you found a place yet?” Clark asked.

Lois had moved out of the Talon apartment a few weeks ago; she was working in Metropolis now as well as studying there, and the commute had been a pain, so it was easier to leave Smallville and move into the city.

“Yeah, but I can’t move in until the end of the month. I’m still crashing on Chloe’s couch until then. And you can wipe that smile off your face.”

Clark held his hands up, feigning innocence, but he couldn’t suppress the smirk at what seemed like karma biting Lois Lane in the a$$. Every time she visited the farm, Clark found himself back on the couch, sleeping with his knees virtually up to his chest, and Lois visited Martha (the first name was his moms idea; Lois was trying to get used to it) often. Still, he couldn’t help but notice how quiet the house was when she was away.

...“See the marketplace in old Angiers,
    Send me photographs and souvenirs,
    Just remember when a dream appears,…

“...All passengers for flight 117, departing for Venice, please proceed to Terminal 4…”

“That’s me,” he said, chugging the rest of his coffee, trying to wash down the tightness in his throat. His father, Jor-El had been encouraging him to go out into the world and Clark had to admit, he’d thought seriously about it. He could do some real good for people with his powers, perhaps learn a new language, and his need to vanish for a while seemed to seal the deal. He bought a cheap ticket over the Internet with the money from his first professional article (he wasn’t yet confident about long-distance flying), and he felt like he was finally moving towards his future, whatever that was. Still, leaving home was harder than he thought it would be. He hadn’t slept all night; he could comfortably go without sleep for weeks, but that wasn’t the point.

“Are you scared?” Lois asked, teasing to hide her concern.

“A little.” Clark answered honestly. “I’ll be fine.”

He’d long since broken his fear of heights; last year, Lois’ was on a ‘plane home after a visit with her sister, and her flight had gotten into trouble over the airport. Clark barely even thought about it, he just launched into the air and brought the ‘plane down safely; he surprised even himself with his power. Since then, however, the rumors had surfaced. No-one had gotten a close look, thankfully, and sightings of the ‘Superhuman Man’ were ridiculed as X-Styles stuff, like Bigfoot or the Mothman. Nevertheless, the near-to-home attention made Clark nervous, particularly the keen interest Lois was taking. Slowly, even reluctantly, he pulled himself to his feet, patting his pockets, checking his travel documents, boarding pass, passport, hefting his rucksack over one shoulder like it was feathers. Stalling. He just couldn’t bring himself to look at her.

When Clark stood up (God, seems like he’s gotten taller!), Lois felt a sudden pang. He was really leaving. They had known for a few weeks, of course; he and his mother had invited them to dinner at the farm and told them all together. They said their goodbyes in their own way; Martha had quietly hugged her son, and told him not to worry about her. Over Clark’s protests, Ollie gave him a gift of travellers cheques for airfare and told him if he needed anything else, don’t hesitate to pick up the phone. Ben Hubbard shook his hand warmly and promised to look after the farm. Pete patted him on the back and said he wished he was going with him, and Chloe wished her best friend luck through a tearful smile. Typical Lois, she socked him in the shoulder and warned him not to drink the water. She had already known; she went up to his loft first and found his stuff packed in boxes ready for storage, his passport and tickets out on his desk.

Lois stood up. “Walk you to the gate?” She swallowed the lump in her throat and kept her voice breezy.

“Sure.” Clark smiled, that grin that warmed her like sunshine, and she knew she wouldn’t see it again for a long time. She shrugged her jacket on as she finished the last of her coffee and they walked in silence for a while, lost in their own thoughts.

Curiously enough, Clark had trouble getting a ride to Metropolis Airport; everyone seemed to have an excuse. His mom had some meeting to attend, and Chloe said her dad needed her help with something, although Gabe had to be reminded, and no-one seemed to want to go into specifics. So, it fell to Lois. Expecting eye-rolling protests, Clark was about to say he’d call a cab, but instead, she shrugged her shoulders and said “Sure.” Which is when Martha said something weird.

“It’ll give you a chance to say goodbye.”

...“I’ll be so alone without you,
    Maybe you’ll be lonesome, too…”

Clark knew Lois hated goodbyes of any kind. The plan had been to get out at the airport and give her an excuse to leave. Still, when they got there, the thought flashed across his mind; ‘I don’t want this to end.’ Before he knew it, he’d offered to get her a thank-you coffee for giving him a lift. She came along just to keep him company, he thought. She probably knew he didn’t want to sit there alone like a doofus.

Lois was not a fan of long goodbyes. The plan had been to drop him off at the airport and get away as quickly as possible, but somehow she ended up sitting in an airport coffee lounge talking his ear off about twentieth century pop music (one day, she WOULD convert him to Whitesnake). A thought had flashed across her mind; ‘I don’t want this to end.’

“I guess this is no big deal for you, huh?”

Lois shot a puzzled frown up at him.

“I mean, you’d been all over the world twice before you were eighteen, right?”

She could feel his excitement as they approached the gate, the adventure in front of him.

“You’re gonna love it. And you’d better write, Smallville, or I’ll catch a flight myself just to kick your a$$.”

The laugh Lois loved to hear, and it was going away. ‘Everyone leaves,’ she thought bitterly, then shook it off. She refused to make this about her. This trip was what he wanted.

Clark suddenly felt like he’d never laugh again. He looked down at the floor, hiding his eyes for a second. ‘She thinks I’m betraying her,’ he thought, his heart twisting at his selfishness. He dismissed that thought quickly, knowing she’d kill him for brooding.

IdontwannagoIdontwannaleaveyouplease willyouevenmissmewillyouwritemeback.

“Will you write me back, Lois?”

“Count on it.”

It was a poor substitute, but better than nothing. Really, she wanted to ask him when he was coming back. She knew it’d make them both uncomfortable.

“Well,…” Clark said.

“Yeah,…” Lois countered. So much for long goodbyes.

StaypleasedontleaveIdontwantyoutogo stayherewithmedontforgetmeIllmissyou.

“I’ll miss you, Clark.”

He let out a sigh he didn’t even know he was holding. “I’ll miss you, too, Lois.”

They put their arms around each other. She pressed her cheek into his chest, holding him with her whole heart. He wrapped her up and gently rocked her, keeping this memory safe inside to carry with him. Neither wanted to say it, but both knew it had to be said.

“Goodbye.”

He turned at the gate to see her one last time, smiled and waved. She waved back, watching him disappear around the corner. And then, he was gone.

It wasn’t until the plane left the ground that Clark really felt it; the ache deep in his bones, the tearing grief of leaving behind all that he loved in this world, all that loved him. He’d never felt more alone in his life. He couldn’t bear to think of it, focusing instead on what lay ahead of him, the things he would learn, the man he hoped to become. When the time was right, he knew he would come home. There was too much of himself here to leave behind forever.

Lois didn’t watch his plane leave. She just got in her car and drove back to her cousin’s place. Chloe was out, the apartment was empty. She was fine. Until for some reason, while she was making coffee, she ended up sitting on the kitchen floor, sobbing until her chest ached. Then she stood up, washed her face with cold water and poured herself a coffee; no-one saw, and no-one knew. Her tears were like her secrets; she never gave them away.

“Except,” she smiled to herself “to perfect strangers.”

...“Fly the ocean in a silver plane,
    See the jungle when it’s wet with rain,
    Just remember ‘til you’re home again,
    You belong to me....

You belong to me.”

Interlude: Azabache

…It wasn’t until the plane left the ground that Clark really felt it; the ache deep in his bones, the tearing grief of leaving behind all that he loved in this world, all that loved him. He’d never felt more alone in his life…

The last time he remembered feeling like this was after the second meteor storm, when the house was demolished. The family were tearing up everything that couldn’t be saved; a lot of personal effects were lost in the impact. Most of Clark’s room was now on the ground floor, or in the garden. He searched at superspeed first, then at normal speed, then painfully slowly one more time, but amongst the wreckage and burnt debris, there was no way of telling. The bracelet that Joseph Willowbrook had given him. A Kawache bracelet, bearing the symbol of Naman’s promised one, meant for Clark’s soulmate. He usually kept it in the loft, but that night, he’d been woken by a bad dream, and felt some strange urge to have it with him, as if looking for comfort before the storm he knew was coming.

He’d taken it from the loft and slept in the house with it, cold metal warmed by his skin. Next morning, he left it in his bedside cabinet while Lois was in the shower, and that was the last he saw of it. He considered asking her if she’d seen it, but it’d raise too many questions about why he owned it, why it was so important, all sorts of things he didn’t want to answer. He tried to put a brave face on it, say that the family had lost nothing but things in the storm, but he couldn’t help but see it as a message. The bracelet was a promise of a future love that was meant to be. And now it was gone, lost or destroyed.

‘Maybe the reason I lost the bracelet,’ thought Clark, as the nose of the plane tipped up into the air, ‘is because I’m meant to be alone…’

He couldn’t bear to think of it, focusing instead on what lay ahead of him, the things he would learn, the man he hoped to become…

…In the aftermath of the meteor storm, groups of volunteers were searching for the lost, the missing, the injured, and one such group went to the Kent Farm looking for a young man by the name of Jason Teague, on Mr Kent’s suggestion. One of the rescuers lifted aside a shattered bedside cabinet, the drawers crashing forlornly to the ground, and spilling out a silver-turquoise bracelet, ringing across the floor like a bell. To anyone else, it would’ve looked like costume jewellery, but Esperanza Ramirez thought it might be a traditional azabache, a blessing bracelet made to protect loved ones from harm through those envious of their beauty. To certain collectors, it might be quite valuable; Esperanza could use the money, and they would probably assume it was lost in the meteor storm. To her constant shame, she stole the bracelet, and sold it as soon as she got back to Granville the next day. Ever since then, she had feared the consequences of her actions…

…Lois didn’t watch his plane leave. She just got in her car and drove back to her cousin’s place. Chloe was out, the apartment was empty. She was fine. Until for some reason, while she was making coffee, she ended up sitting on the kitchen floor, sobbing until her chest ached…

…The next day, Lois left college early and headed out to the Daily Planet to see her cousin. What with her best friend leaving, Chloe naturally felt a little blue; she denied it, but Lois could tell. So, she bagged a few tickets to a gig by an about-to-break band, the Hold Steady, and was twisting her cousin’s arm to hit the town with her.

“I guess it’d be OK,” Chloe said, “since I miss Clark so much.”

She pulled that infuriating know-it-all smirk again that made Lois want to strangle her blue. ‘I love ya, cuz,’ she thought, ‘but sometimes, I just wanna staple your lips shut.’

“First thing we have to do,” said Chloe, “if we’re going out, we need new clothes. And that involves…” her eyes shone almost manically, “…shopping!” Lois groaned, only on the outside; she had never called herself a girly-girl, but quietly admitted to looking forward to some time with her cousin.

A few hours and a quick lunch later, the girls walked back to the car, hooked arm-in-arm and chattering good-natured nonsense. They had finally completed their mission; to find outfits that would make grown men faint at the sight of them. Lois stopped her cousin short at the mouth of a wide alley; an odd notion had taken her.

“The Boho quarter’s down this way, isn’t it?” asked Lois.

“The Big Apricot version of Greenwich Village? Yeah.”

“Wanna check it out, try something different?”

Chloe shrugged. “Sure,” she frowned a little, thinking it was an odd request.

It was like walking into a scene-beat from “That 70’s Show.” The stores were overflowing with gypsy skirts, tie-dye and incense burners. Lois was wide-eyed and smiling. “Wow, this place rocks SWWEEET.”

It figured Lois would be comfortable here, considering her ‘old school’ taste in music. “Oh, yeah. Very ashcan-chic, ” said Chloe, far less convinced, and even a little snobbish, Lois thought.

Lois’ eye was caught by something in one of the store windows, and she dragged her cousin over.

“What do you think?”

Chloe studied the object of Lois’ sudden affection. “Not really my style,” she said. It was a little too gothic for her taste.

“I think it’s cute and a little punky. It’d go perfectly with that little black thing you just bought.”

Chloe remained unconvinced, and even less so when she tilted her head and looked at the price tag, eyes widening. “With THAT many dead presidents on it, I’d HAVE to wear black.”

Lois bit her lip; she wasn't usually big on costume jewellery, but there was something about it. She went to the door.

“Oh, I see,” said Chloe, as they entered, “so you were trying to get me to buy it so you could borrow it…?

Not much later, Lois exited the store with her new favorite thing, turning her wrist in the light to admire it. Chloe shook her head. “An azabache? That woman must have 20/20 vision, because she saw you coming.”

“I like it,” Lois shrugged simply. The cuff looked Incan, or native American. It suited her taller frame; on Chloe and her ‘chicken wrists,’ it looked clunky, and the blonde was a little pale to carry off the silver finish, which suited Lois’ slightly duskier complexion well. The diamond shaped stone setting of polished turquoise made an eye-catching centerpiece, too. Chloe had to admit, it just looked better on Lois than it had on her.

“So,” said Lois, “ready to set the roof on fire?”

Chloe smiled and linked her cousin’s arm again, happy to be by her side. “Burn, baby, burn.”

They walked towards the car, and whatever adventures lay ahead of them.
    Last edited by El Duderino; 05-25-2007, 06:09 AM.

spacer

Comment

Thanks.

Part II:Yours…

Lois had a problem. And she was handling it by vaccuuming.

She had vaccuumed the room twice in two hours. Before that, she had a shower. Before that, she sorted her laundry into whites and delicates. Then into white delicates and color delicates. Before that, she sorted the CDs; Chloe had a habit of putting the discs back in the nearest case to hand instead of the right one, which she knew drove Lois crazy. She was avoiding it. She knew that, and it was so unlike her. If she had learned nothing else from her father, it was not to waste time. She needed to assess the situation, devise a workable solution, and charge at the problem head on.

‘Alright,’ she thought. ‘I’m going in.’

She sat down at the desk, picked up the pen and began to write her first letter to Clark.

“Hey, Smallville,…”

Lousy start...

“Dear Lois,…”

Too formal. Maybe light-hearted…

“Hi, Lo,…”

No, that was her dad’s nickname for her. Maybe tongue in cheek…

“Greetings, Miss Lane,…”

GOD, no; she might misread it and think he was being stand-offish. He didn’t understand it. All his other letters home, he’d dashed off easily. Even with his speed slowed by pen and paper, he’d gotten them all finished inside fifteen minutes. When he got to Lois, he hit a wall so suddenly, he almost heard the thud. She was hard enough to peg down face-to-face sometimes; trying to write to her was worse…

…Under her breath, Lois’ curses would make a pirate blush. ‘I’m trying to be a professional writer, for cryin’ out loud,’ she thought. ‘It shouldn’t be this hard.’

She was on her feet again. She’d made a decision; she was going to make some coffee. Once in the kitchen, she caught herself scanning the fridge; maybe there was something nice in there. Shutting it quickly, she shook her head. She’d been getting bored and restless lately, snacking at the fridge door. It was funny; she’d lived above a coffee house for years and hardly ever touched the stuff. Now whenever she was rattling around Chloe’s place on her own, she kept hitting the muffins and cookies. There was no way she was getting into that habit when she moved out…

…Clark looked up out of the window to the right of his bed. It was dusk, the city burning orange under the sun’s fall into the horizon. It was pretty early; he’d already seen a lot of the tourist draws, like the Rialto, the Bridge of Sighs, the Piazza San Marco and he would’ve loved to explore Venice in the twilight hours, but he was exhausted for some reason. He’d slept more in the past week than he ever did at home. Under normal circumstances, although Clark liked to bag at least five or six hours shut-eye a night, he could comfortably go at least a fortnight without sleeping a wink. Still, there were some evenings here when his eyelids dropped like stones. It was probably homesickness; whatever it was, he hoped it wasn’t going to last. He smiled as the thought occurred to him that Lois would never let him live it down.

‘Trust you to sleep your way around the world, Smallville…’

…Armed with a fresh, hot cup of coffee and a macademia nut cookie(last one, promise), Lois went back to her desk. She had no excuses; she’d gotten her assignments done, Chloe was out, and she had shut off her phone. In fact, she’d set this time aside especially. If it wasn’t written by tomorrow, it wouldn’t be sent; until they got addresses sorted out, Martha had offered to take letters at the farm and forward them all to Clark, and vice versa. However, since stepping down as senator and taking a position with the Kansas State Education Board, she was away a lot(she often joked she quit politics so she could get things done), and was leaving for the state capital in two days to chase funds. Of course, Lois could’ve simply e-mailed Clark, but it just didn’t feel the same. A hard copy letter seemed more appropriate for someone on a round-the-world trip, and besides, he could end up going weeks without access to a computer. So,---what the hell WAS she going to write him?

‘I’m used to talking to him face to face,’ she thought. ‘It’s not easy to be a smarta$$ on paper.’ His voice ran through her head suddenly, making her smile.

‘But if anyone can find a way, Lois, you can…’

…Clark’s eyelids sprung open as his hearing took in a loud screeching crash. Raising a draft, he was at the window inside a fraction, scanning with keen sight. Zooming in at the far end of the street, he saw a small truck turned on its side, the driver shouting frantically at a teenage boy on a bratting little motor-scooter. He wasn’t quite fluent in Italian yet, but he didn’t have to be to know the man was NOT saying ‘drat and tarnation.’ Yawning and stretching, Clark glanced at his watch and realized an hour had passed while he ‘closed his eyes for a second.’ He switched on the lamp; the room was small and relatively bare, but scrupulously clean and comfortable. It had a bed and a bathroom, which served his needs fine. He would be moving on tomorrow anyway, after he’d finished his article on the narrowly averted rail disaster.

His freelancing was useful, not only when he was short on funds, but for keeping an eye on news, particularly about his own movements. As far as eyewitness reports, his luck had held; some passengers he’d questioned said they saw a flash of blue that had stopped the train short of the damaged track, but none of them could swear to what it was, and the mainstream press wrote it off. Clark had been inspired to take advantage of the legends around his first appearance by wearing bright blue and red T-shirts under neutral clothes. Hopefully, it was the color that caught the attention, keeping it away from his features. If he stripped off his shirt and glasses, and kept moving, people saw nothing more than a bright blur, too fast to be caught on camera. With his other friends, particularly J’onn and Bart, causing mysterious reports like ‘hero streaks’ in other parts of the world, he hoped their shenanigans would create enough noise on a wider scale to cover each other’s actions.

All of which he’d written about to Chloe, in subtext, of course; she could read between the lines. He couldn’t really tell Lois he’d flown over the collapsed part of the causeway, severed the passenger car couplings with heat beams from his eyes, then dragged the engine car to a halt with his bare hands. ‘Wrecking a brand new pair of sneakers at the same time,’ he thought ruefully and sighed. So…what COULD he tell her?…

…“What about the Superman?” Lois thought aloud. She startled herself with her own voice in the quiet, wondering if she could tell Clark the tale. She had been following the story since the first sighting over the airport, in the face of mounting cynicism and ridicule. A lesser mortal might have been swayed, but Lois Lane was no fool; she knew what she saw. The legend had many names; the Angel of Flight 140, Blue Savior, the Strange Visitor, the Man of Steel, the Superhuman; Lois preferred to call it the Superman…

…His thoughts drifted back to the day everything changed. It wasn’t the first time Lois’ life had been in danger, or even the last, but this was different somehow. Perhaps because there were no K-mutants or Phantom Zoners, just an everyday accident that could’ve taken her away. He was at home when he saw the newsflash, his constant nightmare on screen; someone he cared about was going to die, he was going to watch and there was nothing he could do. And he just started running, his heart pounding liquid fear through his veins.

ComeoncomeonfasterpleasepleasepleaseGodhelpme dontletmebetoolatefasterrrr

He wasn’t going to make it. His mind screamed at him to DO SOMETHING! He leapt, and then he was rocketing into the sky, water streaming and boiling off him as he tore holes through clouds, his blue jacket flapping and smoldering, fists clenched and white-knuckled ahead of him. Sonic booms marked his wake on the same day that Kansans reported rolling thunder from a summer sky. There was no exhilaration, just desperate panic as he moved leagues faster than he ever had before…

…‘This is it, Lane,’ thought Lois. ‘This is how you die.’

“Fasten your seatbelts, please.”

‘Yeah, THAT’LL save us all,’ thought Lois. She saw the grey faces of the other passengers, the muttering of prayers and tears, curse words and anger.

‘Do I look like that?’ she thought, absently. ‘I should.’

She should have been panicked. She should have been praying, crying, screaming obscenities at flight attendants (someone knock that jackass out), but she wasn’t. She felt nothing. Numb certainty dropped on her like a shroud. She was going to die, and all she could hope for was that it was quick, that it wouldn’t hurt. She thought of the people she loved and would never see again; her mother, father, Chloe, Ollie, Mr and Mrs Kent,---Clark. Her heart ached for them. She hoped they wouldn’t hurt either…

…The wind streamed Clark’s hair back as he banked sharply to the left and came up under the smoking engine. He quickly blew out the flames, but the wing was still dead weight, starting to pull the craft into a spinning dive. He had no idea what to do, so took the simple approach and braced his hands against the underside to support the weight. The machine shuddered above him, and his stomach knotted as metal groaned and shrieked under his fingers. He’d never done anything like this before, he was making it worse, he was going to tear the thing to pieces, they were all going to die because of him. He stopped his thinking, took a deep breath and as J’onn had taught him to, reached for his calm center; besides Lois, there were more than a hundred people on this plane. He wasn’t afraid to die. He was afraid to fail…

…Lois knew aircraft well enough to feel the movement was wrong. There was a brief sensation like falling as the plane righted itself, and she heard the struggling engine begin to level out. Suddenly, the flight was as smooth as the Fonz on ice.

“What the F*&%?!!…”

…‘It’s going to be OK,’ Clark thought, completely unaware that he was crying, laughing, giddy with relief. He kept pace, supporting the dead wing all the way down to the runway, then dropped back as he felt the brakes bite and took a second to look to his side, his vision sweeping through the skin of the plane. Aside from shock and minor injuries, the passengers all seemed fine. He sought out Lois a little quicker than the others. She seemed to be looking right at him. Startled, he shot back into the sky, soaring for cover…

…There were people screaming, cheering, the smell of burning rubber; add to that yet ANOTHER concussion(how many are you allowed?) and it would’ve been easy for Lois to dismiss it as a phantom of the mind. Still, she couldn’t shake off what she saw; a silhouette, for less than a second, far away through smoke, before it turned into blue lightning and disappeared…

…By the time Clark got home, his jacket was in tatters. He threw it in the trash and put on his father’s old brown wax raincoat for comfort. He had to get in the truck and follow everyone else to the hospital, as if it was news to him. For appearances sake, feigning ignorance and choking back the scream locked in his throat. He had his hands in his pockets most of the time, trying to stop them shaking; he’d never been more scared in his life. He hung back while they fussed over her; it seemed like she noticed…

…Lois remembered his visiting the hospital while the others stood at her bedside, smiling, hugging, kissing their relief. He hung around after they left, staring at the floor, hands jammed in his pockets. ‘Brooding again,’ she thought wryly, preparing to snap him out of it once more. She cracked some lame joke about qualifying for reserved parking in the ambulance bay. He’d smiled tightly, but still said nothing.

“OK, Smallville, what’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?”

“Lois…”

He looked up at her, his face white as milk, tears standing in his hollow eyes, and she could’ve bitten her own tongue out for her words. He was scared. For her. Petrified, even. Somehow, it was real all of a sudden, and her hands began to shake, as if she felt her own terror through his. She couldn’t stop it, not this time.

“Clark…”

She reached for him and he was there, his hands steady now, telling her softly over and over ‘alright, it’s alright now,’ letting her cry. Not just cry, she poured her tears into him, and he took them from her, giving her peace. He stayed until she fell asleep, exhausted, and into the next morning. By then, she had the brave face firmly back on, chattering about the ‘blue streak’ seen by ‘pretty much everyone’ on the plane. Clark let it go; he seemed to feel when she needed comfort, when noisy distraction and when silence. He said he had to get home and get his chores out of the way, and asked her to call when the hospital released her. She wished she could just tell him how grateful she was to him. He’d made so many of her old burdens lighter, and she felt better than she had in years…

…When he got home that morning, Chloe bounded up to him and asked the ‘resident superhero’ for the story on his latest save, all smiles and anticipation; he’d shocked both her and himself with his response, which was to tremble violently and sob his heart out, the weight collapsing and breaking on his broad shoulders all at once. He was a child again as his mother soothed him, stroking his hair and shushing in his ear, just like after his father died, but this was a different pain. This was the last of many wounds healing, and it felt like redemption. He had once been told that his purpose was to take away the pain of others; Lois had let him take hers, finally. She’d led him to his gift, and in the years to come, he would bless her for saving his life…

…Lois couldn’t write him about all that; it had been a pretty harrowing day, and she didn’t want to stir up bad memories. Besides, to tell the truth, a lot of the stories sounded highly suspect; one guy pushing a trolley full of cans claimed that he was the Superhuman, that he lived in a hollowed-out mountain and that he could solve all the world’s problems with the aid of his spaceship. If the Feds would only return it to him…

…Clark put on his glasses and shrugged on his jacket.

‘Maybe getting out of the room, getting some coffee, that’ll wake up the muse,’ he said to himself.

He knew a place he hoped was still open. They served the best coffee that had ever passed his lips, rich and dark as if it had dropped straight from the branch into the cup. He suspected Lois would crawl over broken glass and nails for the stuff, and reminded himself to send a bag each to her and Chloe. He put his hand to the door and took a look around the room, a moment to realize how far he’d come. It had been a while coming, but he was finding his place in the world. Not that he wanted to make a full-time career out of it. He grinned as he heard Lois’ voice again.

‘The pay’s lousy, it’s highly dangerous, and you have to bring your own uniform,’ it rang out. ‘But on the other hand, the hours suck. When can you start?’

Still smiling, Clark took off his jacket, walked back to the bed and began to write:

“Dear Lois,…”

…Lois crunched through the last bite of cookie, and decided to leave the Superman to her own studies. Clark wouldn’t want to hear that stuff; even her cousin had gone Scully on her. The only one who gave her theories any airspace was her favorite teacher, Perry ‘PitBull’ White. She felt they were similar animals, both having taken wrong turns somewhere, but determined to get back to the right ones. He said he respected her tenacity in chasing the grain of wheat through acres of chaff (he actually smirked at this, as if it were an especially apt metaphor). When Perry made her his research assistant, he dubbed her ‘MadDog’ Lane. Smallville would get a kick out of that, finally having a nickname to throw back at her.

It was comforting to think there might be guardian angels in the world, though. She silently wished the Superman was watching out for Clark. Really, that was all she needed to know; that he was safe and well. She wasn’t the worrying type, but she did worry about him sometimes, alone against a big world full of bad people. Clark’s voice came to her once more to make her smile.

‘Jeez, Lois,’ it said. ‘You make me sound like Macaulay Culkin.’

Lois kept smiling as she picked up the pen and wrote:

“Dear Clark,…”

Comment

El-dude...have i mentioned how i love all your stories! they are all great, i can't wait for more!

Comment

Originally posted by FULLMETALMARTA
          El-dude...have i mentioned how i love all your stories! they are all great, i can't wait for more!
          You have, but it never hurts to hear it.

Part III: Homecoming

Chloe loved airports. She’d grown used to small town living, but at heart, she was still a city girl. The controlled chaos all around her, people going places, coming back, tears and hugging, thousands of stories to be told. Real human drama stuff. And coffee, of course. Even so, her patience was beginning to wear thin around the thirty minute mark. Although he’d long been able to fly, he was still shy of being seen over cities. He took a domestic flight into Kansas from the coast, and Chloe was waiting to pick him up. She checked the note again to make sure she was at the right gate, and when she looked up, she caught sight of him at a newsstand, buying a copy of the Planet. She hung back for a moment, training her reporter’s eye on him.

She started at his shoes, sand-colored boots, scuffed and worn. The jeans he wore were clean, but almost threadbare at the knees and cuffs. On top of those, a simple white shirt and a brown corduroy blazer. Her gaze passed over his face in profile. Where before he had been a cute boy, he could now be described as a handsome man; his color had deepened just a little, and was now the faint olive tone of someone who’d spent time in the sun. Even his haircut was different, neater at the neck and ears and swept off his forehead into a less unruly style. The greatest change in him, though, was something only those who knew him might notice. His movements, his mannerisms, the set of his face, even the way he turned the page of a newspaper. No fumbling or uncertainty, he carried himself with confidence and maturity, someone who knew who he was and where he was going. This was a whole new Clark Kent.

“Clark!”

He looked up from the paper at the sound of his name, green eyes sweeping over the morass of people until they caught the small blonde they were seeking out. His face lit up with a wide grin, and all of a sudden, it was the same old Clark, marching towards her as she smiled back. Before she knew it, her feet were off the ground, and she dangled in her best friend’s warm bear hug. Observers were equally impressed by the man who could lift the (ahem, mumble)pound blonde with a sixty litre pack on his shoulder without breaking a sweat, and disappointed that he wasn’t single. Chloe looked over his shoulder at the women’s faces, to which Clark remained oblivious, and smiled inwardly. ‘Some things never change,’ Chloe thought.

Several hours away, at the Kent farm, Lois stepped down off the ladder and admired her handiwork, strung across the living room partition for all to see:

“WELCOME HOME C ARK.”

“Damn it,” Lois cursed. “Sorry, Mrs K--”

She paused on Martha’s look.

“Sorry, Martha.”

Martha just smiled and went back to her vegetables. All this time, and Lois still forgot to call her by her first name. On the one hand, it meant she wasn’t considered a kid anymore, but on the other, it meant she respected her as a ‘grown-up.’ And she was a grown-up, Martha had to admit. She looked over at Lois now, flipping back the couch cushions. She’d arrived straight from work; her long brown hair was knotted into a French braid, and she wore a neat pale-grey pinstripe jacket and matching pants with a black blouse and boots. Martha felt a small swell of pride at having watched the girl become the stylish and professional young woman before her.

‘Of course,’ she thought bemusedly, as Lois got down on her knees with her butt in the air and peered under the living room furniture, ‘some things never change.’

Lois grunted and sat up. “Have you seen an ‘L’ around here anyplace?”

“What does it look like?” Martha asked.

Lois shot a narrow, but smiling glance at the older woman, who just raised her eyebrows mock-innocently. Ever since she’d started dating her new guy, Ben Hubbard, she had been more playful. His caretaking of the farm had even allowed Clark to go back to college, submitting the final year of his coursework while he travelled. Ben was good for Martha. ‘Better than the last guy, anyway,’ Lois thought scornfully. She’d always thought there was a little almost-something between Lionel Luthor and Martha, and this seemed borne out by her upset at his vanishing. Lois remembered hating him for causing her that; since Jonathan died, she had become even more protective of Mrs Kent.

“Hardy-har. If I don’t find it, we’ll be welcoming home 'Cark.'”

“You could take the name down, just leave up the ‘Welcome Home’ part.”

“I guess,” Lois nibbled her lip. “What time is everyone getting here?”

“They’ll be here soon, honey.”

Martha gave her one of those sympathetic knowing looks which sometimes drove her crazy, but if she was antsy, it was just because she had nothing to do. She had been designated the decorating committee, and as a result, the living room was now covered with balloons, crepe paper and streamers; it looked like a crashed parade, all because she needed to have something to do with her hands.

No matter how futile it would’ve been, Chloe was on the verge of strangling Clark. For the past fifteen minutes, he’d done nothing but scan back and forth through the same stations on the car radio. Finally, she couldn’t take it anymore.

“Would you PLEASE knock it off?”

Clark switched the radio off, smiling apologetically. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright, just know that if you’ve messed up my presets, I’ll be forced to kill you. Hey, tell me stories, tell me adventures. How was---you know---the world?”

“It was good,” said Clark, the usual master of understatement; he didn't want to be a vacation bore. “Saw a lot of things, met a lot of people, took a lot of pictures.”

“Did you get those photos I sent?”

“I did,” he said, smiling warmly in the old Clark way again. “Thanks.” Chloe occasionally sent him pictures, for Christmas, birthdays, or just random things. Even shutterbug Jimmy had started swapping shots back and forth with him via e-mail. He was silent for a while, staring out of the shotgun window, his knees jogging up and down with nervous energy. He could’ve run home in seconds, but for the souvenirs in his rucksack that would’ve been reduced to rubble. Besides, he was more cautious about being spotted these days.

“You mind stopping that before you bang a hole in my floor?" Chloe chided. "And there’s no-one else I can say that to and mean it literally. What’s the matter?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know, I guess I’m just a little charged to be back, I guess.”

‘You said ‘I guess’ twice there,’ thought Chloe.

“How is everyone?”

‘And there it is,’ she thought. “Everyone is fine.”

The way she stressed the word needled Clark a little. Even after all this time, they just wouldn’t let it go.

“Remember Perry White?”

“Yeah, Lois’s teacher.”

The reporter in Chloe noted the association. “Not anymore, Pauline went to the NY Times, and Perry’s been offered the E-in-C spot at the Planet.”

“Really?” His brow creased into a frown.

“Don’t sound so surprised, Clark, it’s insulting.”

“No, it’s not that. I’m glad for him, it’s just---” he shook his head, “from what I’ve heard about Pauline Kahn, it sounded like the only way she’d leave the Planet was feet first.”

Chloe tipped her head in a shrug. “Last year, you could’ve said the same thing about me.”

“So, the new gig’s working out?” Clark grinned.

She beamed widely in reply. Chloe had found that despite the years of hard evidence she’d built up, the higher-ups at the Planet remained unconvinced by her theories about the paranormal; most of the stories she’d put forward were shot down, and others she’d had to kill to protect her friends. Frustrated, she’d jumped at the offer of a new position. Officially, she was working for Queen Industries as Oliver’s PA. Unofficially, she was codenamed Watchtower, research and ops coordinator for the League of Justice(she hadn’t picked the name, obviously).

“Y’know, technically speaking,” said Clark, “you have a secret identity now, Spychick.”

She considered this. “Yeah. Ain’t it cool?”

The move had allowed Chloe to upgrade to a larger company car, and Clark looked to all corners. “So, did Ollie kit out this baby with lasers and turbojets and stuff?”

She looked sideways at him. “No, but right now, I’m wishing it had an ejector seat.”

Lois looked at her watch and then back to the magazine; she’d read the same line four times in as many minutes. She felt slightly queasy, her stomach full of butterflies. All his friends had been invited. They were supposed to be here by now. She was starting to wish she’d waited for Jimmy when he’d offered her a lift. They’d become pretty good friends since she took up Chloe’s internship at the Planet, although it had been rough at first. Even though he and Chloe had ended as well as could be expected, Lois kept him at a sharp distance until her cousin convinced her she was fine with her choosing her own friends---

“---and you know,---everything,” she’d finished. Lois wished they’d all quit that.

She flicked on the TV. A familiar bald head appeared on the screen; Lex Luthor was breaking ground on a children’s free clinic on the outskirts of Suicide Slums, the latest LexCorp project. His father had disappeared after the last attempt on his life a few years back, and Lex had renamed the company in his absence, poor taste in Lois’ eyes. Since she’d started digging into his stash of ‘rotten little acorns,’ she’d formed a very different picture of Luthor than the one seen in public. For starters, profiteering; she’d followed the trail of several dummy companies, and she was virtually certain LexCorp was running weapons to the Ghuri and Turaaba tribes in defiance of God knows how many resolutions.

“It’s not right,” she thought. “The things that man gets away with.”

“I was sorry to hear about Kobe Asuru, Clark.”

His face clouded at Chloe’s mention of the man who came to be his good friend, and he tugged at the brotherhood bracelet on his wrist, blue strands knotted together with red and yellow; Kobe said they were his colors. “He was a good man, Chloe. All he wanted was to unite his people in peace, and they killed him for it.”

He’d heard the ticking of the car bomb from miles away and dashed after it, ripping the door off and clearing Abana, Kobe’s younger sister, seconds before the car burst into flames. He heard the shot across town too late, and was only in time to find his friend bleeding in the middle of a stampeding crowd. He pushed his way forward, picked Kobe up and carried him like china to the nearest hospital, but he knew it was too late. He heard the man’s heartbeat falter and slow, virtually saw the warmth leaving his body. He was gone. The next day, Clark had been forced to move on to avoid questions; he couldn’t even stay for the funeral.

“It’s not fair,” he said. “It’s not right that someone could just have a man murdered and get away with it.”

“Kebile’s taken his seat, he was the one with the most to gain.”

He shook his head. “No, he’s part of it, but I don’t think it ends there. I did some digging.”

Chloe’s heart skipped a little at this, part pride and part sorrow. Her friend didn’t need her anymore; he could do his own digging.

“The main contributor to Kebile’s campaign was an overseas company by the name of Rosenbaum Textiles. This outfit dropped a piece of change on Kebile to the tune of half a million US bucks.”

She low-whistled over the steering wheel. “That’s a buncha’ clams there, Jonesy.”

Clark smiled dryly at the snark. “Mock if you wish, but I went to see this place. It’s a vacant lot.”

“A dummy company,” Chloe stated the obvious.

He nodded. “Rosenbaum Textiles was in business a little over four months. They went into liquidation the day after the assassination, but,” Clark raised a finger, “I went into the land registry and tax records. It goes back through half a dozen other names, but Rosenbaum Textiles was a subsidiary of---guess who?”

Chloe’s eyes widened. “LexCorp?”

“LexCorp,” Clark confirmed. “Thing I can’t figure out is what Lex’s motives are for buying political influence in West Africa. ”

“Maybe he’s looking for sweated labor? Or maybe he’s restarting 33.1?”

“Maybe.” Clark bit his lip, pensively.

“You should get together with Lois.”

He looked up sharply.

“What does that mean?”

“It means,” said Chloe, smirking to herself, “that Lois has been looking into Luthor’s dirty little secrets. She’s compiling a dossier on gunrunning activities to the tribes with possible links to LexCorp.”

“Why didn’t you tell me this before?” Chloe wrote him updates on her cousin; Lois’ letters were mostly about other people, like what Jimmy was up to, or how Clark’s mom was doing.

Chloe rolled her eyes. “Because you’d have fretted yourself into running back here.”

“Damn right I would.”

Chloe was surprised to hear even mild cursing coming from her friend.

“Lex is dangerous,” he continued. “Look at what happened to Lana.”

After the whole thing with Lex was over, Lana had written letters to her friends and vanished. Clark had searched everywhere for her, and was not convinced she’d gone of her own free will.

“Lex has people digging into his past all the time, he usually just spins it out, covers it up or pays them off. It’s not like he’s gonna single a cub reporter out and have her clipped.”

“You don’t know him like I do,” he almost snapped, then in a softer, more concerned tone. “Sometimes, I think he might really be crazy.”

The news report made brief mention of Lex’s sabbatical after Lana’s disappearance, citing ‘work related stress.’ Lois had discovered this was a fairy tale. He’d been checked into a private clinic after having another of his ‘episodes;’ sealed medical records and doctor-patient confidentiality stopped her short, but it sounded to her like a polite euphemism for bad craziness. She flicked off the TV and stood up, trying not to let thoughts of Luthor darken her mood.

“Anything I can help with?” Lois wandered into the kitchen.

Martha stopped whipping batter, astonished. “Lord, you must be getting desperate.”

Although she’d gotten a little better, the jokes about Lois’ cooking still stood. Truth be told, she hated having to cook. Clark had written from the South of France that he was picking up a few skills, and that she should learn too. She’d shot back something about being a ‘good little wifey.’ He was in Switzerland by the time she got his reply: ‘No, it’s just useful when you get sick of pizza and Mallomars.’

“Where is everybody?” she complained. “Shouldn’t they be here by now? Didn’t you say three o’clock?”

“Lois, I told them between three and four,” Martha replied. “And it’s only quarter of two now. They won’t be here for a while yet. Just relax.”

‘I’ll relax when they get here, and I’m not rolling out the welcome wagon single-handed,’ she thought. With a house full of people, there’d be no awkwardness; she could be a face in the crowd. She had no idea what to expect from Clark when he walked through the door, how much or how little he’d changed. Maybe he’d even met someone; he never said so in his letters, but that meant very little. When it came to women, he was notoriously tight-lipped. He’d sent a photo of himself towering between the peace activist, Kobe Asuru (she’d read his book; it was insightful, if a little naďve) and a stunning African girl, with his arms around both their shoulders, goofy grin on his face. All that Clark had written about the girl was that she was Abana, Kobe’s younger sister. Lois had learnt more about her from his articles than his letters. Maybe she’d tease him about her a little, see if he still blushed like he used to.

“I’ll slice, I’ll dice, I’ll Julienne, whatever that is, anything that doesn’t include actual cooking. Deal?”

Martha chuckled. “OK, but you should probably put on an apron.”

Lois looked down at her suit, realizing what she was wearing for the first time.

“Maybe I’ll just go change first.”

She picked up her bag, thankful that she’d brought a change of clothes with her, and virtually leapt up the stairs two and three at a time. Martha winced as her maternal instinct filled her head with visions of the young woman’s clunky boots tangling up and tumbling her all the way back down with a broken leg. She hadn’t seen her move like that in a long time; usually, Lois moved quickly, but with forceful confidence, not the overwired frenzy she was almost humming with today.

In Clark’s room, Lois quickly stripped down to her underwear, and caught sight of herself in the wardrobe mirror. She pinched at her firm hips and taut stomach, quietly tutting to herself. Chloe and Martha always told her she was nuts, that she had the same figure as always, but she knew they were just being nice. What with Martha’s cooking and Lois’ habit of comfort eating, if she wasn’t careful, she’d end up on the news getting winched out of her apartment and moved to a zoo.

“Oliver says hi, by the way. He’d have come with me to the airport only he had a thing, you know. Billionaires and their things.” Chloe winced at how that sounded.

Clark looked sideways at her and smiled; when it came to lying to him, she still sucked. “What time’s the party?”

Her shoulders slumped. “You got me. At least TRY to act surprised. Ollie’s flying in with Victor and A.C. Bart’s running in,” she rolled her eyes.

“How is Ollie?”

“He’s good, doing his thing in Star City now.” She decided to stir the pot a little. “He still asks after Lois sometimes.”

“Hmm,” Clark nodded. He glanced at his watch, then flipped the sunshade down and studied his reflection, things Chloe took note of from the corner of her eye. He had a five o’clock shadow, heading towards six, and suddenly felt a little dishevelled and slightly funky. He’d showered that morning, but sat through a plane ride since then. He ran his tongue around inside his mouth, realizing he’d neglected to brush his teeth; technically, he never had to, but still, he found himself wanting a toothbrush. He turned to Chloe.

“Do you have any gum?”

“Glove box,” Chloe smiled, rubbing sleep out of one eye without taking the other one off the road.

He popped the glove box and found gum and a thick sheaf of papers.

“What’s this?”

“Oh, I was gonna show you those later,” she smiled wryly, “thought you might get a kick out of them. They’re Lois’ printouts of all the Superhuman Man theories on the web.”

Clark’s eyes widened in alarm. He knew about the Chinese whispers that were going around, but he didn’t know how far they’d spread, or how far into them Lois was.

“Relax,” she said, “there’s no solid detail in there. But there is some pretty crazy stuff.”

“Are there any photos?”

“Nothing ID-worthy,” Chloe said, “They’re all far away and lousy. Even I’m not sure it’s you; most of the time, it could be a bird or a plane. Check out the ‘fanart.’”

Clark looked at something that resembled a man, only with blue skin and fur, bright orange eyes, cloven hooves and blood-red feathered wings. Weird. “Chloe,---” he began.

“It’s alright, Clark, the League’s been tracking all this stuff and there’s nothing to worry about,” Chloe assured him. “You know, there are Superman sightings going back to the Thirties and Forties now? A lot of people think you’re an immortal being from a higher dimension, and that you were a secret weapon for the Allies in World War II.”

It was strange for Clark, knowing all these people were talking about him, but in such outlandish fashion that he didn’t even recognize himself. ‘Says the guy with the crystal palace at the North Pole,’ he thought.

“Here, take a look at this.” Just as the streetlight changed, Chloe picked out a compiled list of men’s names, dozens of them, accompanied by some rough-looking e-fit photos.

‘Bud Collyer, Kirk Alyn, George Reeves,---’

“Chloe, what is this?”

“There’s a minor theory that the Superman lives under a secret identity. Most people think it’s ridiculous, but that’s a list of possibilities.”

‘Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain, Brandon Routh, Tom Welling, Clark Ke---’

Clark was so shocked, he swallowed his gum. “Chloe, my name is on this list.”

“You and a couple of hundred other guys and counting. That list gets added to every day. Point is, someone saying Clark Kent is the Superhuman Man is tantamount to someone saying you’re the Gotham City BatBeast.”

A ghost of a smile passed over Clark’s face; Chloe reminded herself to ask him about that later.

“Look at that guy.” She pointed out a random young man at a hotdog cart, wearing a blue Met U Bulldog jacket with white sleeves. He was tall, broad, dark-haired, and bore more than a passing resemblance to one of the e-fits. “He might well be in there somewhere. There’s even a rumor that the Superman is a shapeshifter and can look like whoever he wants to; fair, dark, tall, short, fat, thin, even male or female. Some people even think he disguises himself as a black man.”

‘Thank you, J’onn,’ Clark muttered to himself. All of a sudden, though, he felt incredibly exposed. He took the tortoiseshell glasses from his blazer pocket. He’d gotten out of the habit of wearing them while he was away, except for photos as a precaution.

“Probably a good idea,” Chloe echoed his thoughts; he looked over at her and she shrugged her shoulders as she pulled away from a green light. “Every little helps.”

He slipped the glasses back on, checking his reflection. They dulled the color of his eyes a little, covered his cheekbones, altered the set of his face.

“It’s simple disinformation theory, hiding in plain sight,” Chloe rattled on. “The best way to conceal the truth is to put it amongst a pack of plausible lies.”

He shifted in his seat. She knew he wasn’t comfortable with lies. “It’s the only way, Clark. The only way you can have a normal life.”

He sighed; he knew it was true, but things had been so much simpler while he was away. Out in the open, in glorious sunshine, over desert and jungle, sea and mountain, he’d felt free to explore, and was astonished at the full potential of his powers. Once, he’d come across a suddenly active volcano threatening an entire valley community. He plunged deep into the heart of it, drilled a hole through the other side and then carved a V-shaped channel with his heat vision, letting the lava flow safely out into the sea. He felt it, like a warm bath, but there wasn’t a mark on him. Afterwards, as he spiralled into the air, whirling toxic fumes and ashes high into the clouds, whooping with elation and his clothes still aflame, the townsfolk caught sight of their savior,--- the Laughing Firebird! It was the start of another rumor; that the Superman lived in a volcano with his pet dragon.

“What did Lois think when she saw my name on that list?”

“Oh, she thought it was hysterical,” Chloe said. “For days, she was calling you Captain Plaid, Man of Flannel.”

He laughed briefly. “She’s still looking for me, though?”

“Yes. You have to understand, Clark, Flight 140 was as much a turning point for her as it was for you. She told me she knew that was the end of her, then something just dropped out of the sky and she was alive again. You saved her life.”

It was Clark’s turn to be silent.

“Look, do you trust her?”

“Of course I do,” he frowned.

“Then maybe it’s time you told her. She may not mind you keeping secrets, but you know as well as I do what it’s gotten you in the past. Just think about it.”

Again, he was silent, staring out of the car window.

“So, what are you going to do now? Back to the undercover hero stuff?” She really didn’t want to see him do that to himself.

“Well, I can’t quit,” he said. “Thing is, I got much more done when I didn’t have to watch my back so much, not worrying about giving myself away.”

“What other choice is there?”

He bit his lip again. “How’s your tailoring?”

The odd question blindsided her. “Uh,---about as good as my snakecharming. Why?”

Clark thought of the League’s uniforms. “I think I need an outfit.”

Martha was crimping the edges of an apple pie, (Clark’s favorite, of course) ready for the oven, when Lois bundled down the stairs, wearing denims and a skinnyrib white top. She liked wearing smart outfits for work, but she’d always be more of a T-shirt and bluejeans kind of girl. Now, she felt much more comfortable.

“What do I do?”

“Why don’t you start by setting the table, honey. You know where everything is, right?”

“Sure, Miiiartha.” She caught herself that time.

Martha took the chicken from the oven and replaced it with the pie. “It’ll be nice to have Clark home, won’t it?”

Lois had laid the table cloth and begun clattering round with mats, cutlery and crockery, making a little more noise than was necessary. Martha pretended not to notice.

“Lois? Aren’t you looking forward to seeing Clark?”

She shrugged noncommittally and mumbled, “Yeah, I guess.”

The older woman tasted the soup; a little more oregano. “Seems like only yesterday he left. Hard to believe more than a year’s gone by.”

‘Nineteen months,’ thought Lois, ‘give or take a week.’

“I’ve missed him,” Martha said, her voice hoarse now. “Truth to tell, the house is too quiet sometimes. Except when my girls visit. It’s so nice when you and Chloe are here.”

Lois harrumphed over the lump in her throat. “If you like,---Martha, you know, you-you could come visit with me sometime. I’m never more than a phone call away. You could use up my hot water and spare bed for a change.”

Martha turned, a sunny smile on her face now, light from the kitchen window touching a graceful halo to the flame of her hair.

“Thank you, sweetie.”

“You’re welcome,” Lois flashed the smile back, and knew she would do anything for this woman; this woman who had opened her door and her heart to her without reservation. If goodwill were currency, Martha Kent could buy the world. Lois had never had roots before, never stayed in one place long enough for them to take hold, but here she found herself, setting tables, putting up decorations, and she found there was nowhere else in the world she’d rather be.

Chloe glanced at her watch. They were slightly behind schedule. They’d stopped briefly; she understood why. He needed to be alone, approaching the marker wearily as always, the scar of grief still tugging at him faintly.

“Hi, Dad,” he said softly, kneeling at the graveside. “Sorry it’s been a while.”

Clark talked a little, ten minutes or so of catching up with his father. When he came back to the car, he was quiet, but not morose. It wasn’t long before he was in high spirits again, looking out at the blue sky, the acres of grazing pasture that flashed past his window. They weren’t far now, and he could feel his own calming thrill as they got closer, like simultaneous motion and rest. He was back where he belonged.

They pulled up in the driveway, some distance from the house, Clark thought. He unlatched his seatbelt and was about to open the door when Chloe’s hand on his arm made him pause.

“I just have to make a private call. I’ll follow you in, OK?”

“OK,” he nodded, while Chloe kept staring at him, like she was trying to remember his face. “What?” he asked, laughing.

“Nothing,” she shook her head. “It’s just really good to have you back.”

“It’s good to be back,” Clark beamed. He leant over and gave his friend a brief hug before stepping out of the car and taking his rucksack from the back seat. “Don’t stay out here too long.” He closed the car door and strode towards the house.

Lois was still in the kitchen when the doorbell rang; she breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, the first arrival. Martha was up on the stepladder; it seemed she’d found the missing ‘L’ somewhere and was finishing the ‘Welcome’ sign for Clark.

“Lois, honey, could you get that for me? I’ve got my hands full here.”

As she walked towards the door, she saw the silhouette that seemed to fill the frame, and had a peculiar stroke of deja vu. Through the lace curtain, she saw dark hair and green eyes through glasses. He was early.

His head tipped up suddenly as he caught a quickening heartbeat and a familiar step on the other side of the door. It was Lois; he didn’t even know how he knew, but it was her. On the other side of this door.

Lois’ pace quickened, and she felt the backs of her thighs tense, as if they were trying to force her to run for the door. ‘How’m I gonna do this?’ she thought. A few wisecracks ran through her head; he might not be in the mood. Maybe forego the sarcasm for a simple ‘Hello.’

Clark ran his hand quickly through his hair, ‘What am I gonna say?’ He wasn’t ready for this. Lois was advanced communications; if you weren’t on your game, she’d knock you flat. He braced himself to weather a storm of smarta$$ remarks.

The door swung open.

“Hi.”

“Hey.”

They stood a moment. Their arms came up at the same time, and it was like no time had passed as they wrapped each other up. It was nineteen months ago at the airport, neither of them wanting to say goodbye again.

“Everyone missed you.” Lois felt the pulse in her throat as she said it.

Clark smiled over her head. “I missed them right back.”

He was home. And she was, too.

Epilogue: Absence Makes…

The party was pretty subdued; they sat around the dining table demanding to hear Clark’s stories, what was Asia like, what happened in Tibet, how did he get mixed up in that internecine dispute in West Africa. Even so, he felt like he didn’t really speak much. He spent most of his time quietly watching his friends, his family, like he did on Thanksgivings; it was nice. After dinner, as they moved into the living room with coffee, Clark noticed someone was missing. Looking through the walls of the house, he found her in the loft, staring out into the darkening sky with her hands in her jeans pockets, the way she used to. He quietly slipped out the back door, hoping he wouldn’t be missed.

Lois stood watching the setting sun. She’d often found herself up in the loft. Despite the fact that it was empty now, she was drawn here where it was quiet and peaceful. She felt like she’d made the opposite journey to Clark’s; her life had always been about chaos and perpetual motion, that’s what she was used to. Lois Lane, fun-lovin’ party animal. Now, she hardly ever went out. She had a job she took seriously, a promising future, if her new editor was to be believed, and a place to come to where she was always made welcome; when she set foot on the farm, she felt her cares drop away, like shedding her skin.

“I thought I was the brooding one.” His soft voice rang from behind her in the dim. He saw her shoulders flinch, but she didn’t turn.

“Jeez, what are you, a vampire? I’m gonna get you a pair of tap shoes.”

He flashed a smile at her back; he’d circled the barn and floated quietly up the stairs, the devil in him sneaking up on her. “Are you OK?” he asked. “You’ve been quiet all evening. That’s not like you at all.” He tried to get a rise out of her, but she left the bait.

“You’d be surprised.”

“Maybe,” he said, looking around. He’d been away a long time. It was strange to see the loft so bare and dusty. As if he’d never set foot in the place, he suddenly felt his own absence. He walked up to the window, leaning his shoulder on one side. She shifted to the other and crossed her arms, feeling his broad frame fill the space between them.

“So, I heard you got bumped upstairs at the Planet,” he grinned. “Congratulations.”

She shrugged. “Thanks. It’s not civil wars and assassination plots, but it’s still news.” Chloe had collected all of Clark’s articles. He’d gained a small reputation while he was away; Jimmy nicknamed him ‘Fearless Joe.’ When Lois read them, she cringed at the brutal details. He was a good writer, but he took some crazy chances.

‘Pot paging Kettle,’ thought Lois. ‘You’re black. That is all.’

“Anything interesting happen while I was gone?” Clark kept his voice casual, despite the hollow feeling in his chest telling him to fear this conversation. She’d changed so much; maybe she’d outgrown her absent friends.

“Not much you don’t already know,” Lois answered. “Martha hooked up with Ben, Chloe and Jimmy broke up, Lex is still evil and John Boy left for college.” She mentally cursed herself for the joke. She couldn’t even look at him, feeling like a child making stupid wisecracks at a grown-up. Maybe that's how he thought of her now; hearing him talk about all his adventures, she realized how different he was.

“John Boy. Was that ‘Little House On The Prairie?’”

She sneaked a glance over at him, a small smile on his face. “John Boy was a Walton, you pop culture illiterate,” she grinned back, aware that he was teasing.

He shrugged and changed the subject. “Chloe told me you were looking into LexCorp’s involvement in the Ghuri-Turaaba gunrunning rings.”

She squared her shoulders, bracing herself for an argument. “Don’t start with me, Clark. I’m a big girl and I can look after myself.”

He laughed softly and held his hands up. “Hey, relax. I know better than to try to talk you out of anything. I was going to ask you if you wanted some help. I still have contacts in the tribes, I could see what I can dig up.” It’d also give him the opportunity to discreetly watch her back, although he kept this quiet.

“Well,---thanks,” Lois replied, over the catch in her throat. She couldn’t even start a good fight with him. It felt like they didn’t know how to talk to each other anymore.

Clark pushed his glasses back up on the bridge of his nose, a nervous habit; he didn’t think he’d changed that much, but obviously, he was a stranger to her.

“So, what are you going to do now?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” said Clark, honestly. “I’ll pitch in here, but I’m not really needed. Ben’s got the farm in hand. Try to find a job, I guess.”

She looked around. “You gonna move your stuff back into the loft?”

“Naah,” said Clark. “It’s not really me anymore. I’m done with the pity parties.”

She looked at him sharply, thinking he was being funny, but as he stared up into the sky, she knew he wasn’t kidding. Clark was finally comfortable in his own skin. She was glad for him; maybe his journey had been worthwhile.

‘Maybe,’ she thought, 'just because something changes, doesn’t mean it has to end.’

As he dropped his eyes, she raised hers.

“What are you looking for?”

“Nothing,” she lied.

“You see that Superhuman guy of yours up there?” He couldn’t resist.

She rolled her eyes. “He’s not mine. And it’s the Superman, ya big galoot. I’ve already heard all the jokes from Chloe, thank you.” She shaped her voice into a squeaky parody of her cousin. “‘Look! Up in the sky!’ Hilarious.”

He laughed quietly and looked back up at the evening sky, stubborn stars just beginning to pierce the darkening blue.

“So, do you think you’re gonna leave again?”

The question startled him, coming casually as it did from nowhere, and he tried to return her flippancy. “Well, since I haven't even unpacked yet, I---.”

“Are you staying?” Her face was turned towards the shadows.

“Yes, I’m staying.”

She paced a few feet, still with her back to him. “Good.” It was so soft, no-one else but Clark would have heard it, and just like that, everything was fine again. Warmth spread through Clark, replacing the hollowness, and he knew that whatever changed in his life, he’d always be able to come home.

“Come back inside,” he said, turning towards the stairs. “Chloe’s getting tipsy off your rumcake again, you gotta see it.”

“Parr. TAY,” said Lois, dryly.

“Every night’s a rager at the Kent place.” He held out his hand, and she took it.

END.
          Last edited by El Duderino; 07-08-2007, 10:36 AM.

Comment

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
            you can't end it there!

Comment

Originally posted by FULLMETALMARTA
              noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
              you can't end it there!
              What do you mean? I've already posted these stories. They're precursors to my others.

Comment

I soooo confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

El just posting his old stories he made as one single story so people don't have to go looking for them scattered in the back pages.

No so confusing now is it FULL.

Comment

Says you! I'm always getting lost!

Comment

It's SO great reading it all on one thread! THANK YOU!

Comment

Awesome story I loved every bit of it.

Comment

I thank El Dude for the singled-thread.

Much better than individually wrapped single slices of cheese product ...

Comment

Originally posted by ichglaube
                            I thank El Dude for the singled-thread.

Much better than individually wrapped single slices of cheese product ...
                            Are you implying that my stories are cheesy?

Comment

Aww come on now, I love cheese!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎