Collapse
No announcement yet.

Band of Blue

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhh... Lois is in a falling helicopter... that is never a good thing.

And Kara and Clark are fighting Doomsday... let us hope they make it out okay...

Great job... looking forward to the next update!!

Comment

• Love it

Comment

• I thought the action scenes were well done. I think you have the right balance going with them. I assume the big fight will be mainly between Clark and Doomsday. I can only imagine how nasty that is going to get.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nastassjia
          Sky ... buildings ... ground ... buildings ... sky ... buildings ... ground ... sky ... ground ... sky ... ground???

Oh oh, not good!!!

But wonderful update
          Yup, you're right. Not good.

Originally posted by MariVe
          You evil little tease!!!! you cut it just when I was almost glued to my computer screen....
          What happened to poor Kara??? and you better have someone catching Lois, because she can't die...
          There must be a way to neutralize Doomsday

Awesome as always Update soon!!!
          Tee Hee. I'm usually a really nice person but there's just something about writing evil cliffhangers. And I apologise in advance for the NEXT cliffhanger. I'm sure you'll agree that it's even worse.

Originally posted by Miray
          Oh wow! Exciting update! PPMS ASAP!!!
          Here comes your next update.

Originally posted by s01itaire90
          Ahhh... Lois is in a falling helicopter... that is never a good thing.

And Kara and Clark are fighting Doomsday... let us hope they make it out okay...

Great job... looking forward to the next update!!
          *Laughs* Yup. Lois in a falling helicopter is sort of expected these days, isn't it.

Originally posted by klandgraf2007
          Love it
          Thanks.

Originally posted by Kirk
          I thought the action scenes were well done. I think you have the right balance going with them. I assume the big fight will be mainly between Clark and Doomsday. I can only imagine how nasty that is going to get.
          Thank you. Yes the big fight is Clark and Doomsday. And here it comes.

Disclaimer: Parts of the fight to come are taken from The Death and Life of Superman novel. In no way do I claim that these fantastic words or situations are my work.

Chapter 37:

Clark braced his hands on his knees and took a breath whilst Kara captured the monster’s attention. The sudden intake of sweet oxygen caused spots in his vision but it felt refreshing. Standing up ready to fight once more he stepped back out of the way of a massive swing just in time. Turning to swing back he was dumb-struck for a moment when Doomsday picked up Kara. The monster twirled her around its massive body then sent her soaring into the air. Clark let out an angered scream and punched the bony chin, sending Doomsday flying. He turned to watch the trajectory of his cousin and shouted out in terror when he saw her sheer through the back end of a helicopter in mid-flight.

He leapt up into the air immediately and aimed for the helicopter landing struts. Grabbing hold with both hands he flew the helicopter back up to the roof. Landing it safely he looked for the missing tail and saw that it had landed on the street hitting some cars but, thankfully, not causing any accidents. When he turned back to the helicopter he froze. The face of the woman he loved looked out at him. She raised her head slowly and used her hand to smooth back her hair. When she noticed him she smiled and Clark could see tears in her eyes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lex looked at all the paperwork on his desk and felt frustrated. He didn’t know where to start. His memory was missing large chunks of information. Apparently he’d been missing for months and returned to take control of LuthorCorp recently but he could not remember it. If there was to be missing time wouldn’t it have only been the missing months. Why didn’t he remember the last few weeks when, apparently, he’d been back in civilisation? Trying to catch up on events in the world was difficult. He collapsed into his chair and sighed. Hard to believe that just last night he’d woken from his fog only to be rescued by an angel when he nearly drowned. Maybe that’s why I can’t focus on all this information. I keep stopping to think about her.

Suddenly a crash came from behind and he turned. Glass came at him and he shielded his eyes with his arm. When the glass settled he uncurled himself from his protective stance and looked around. His window had been shattered by something. He turned and his mouth dropped open in shock when he saw the ‘something’. It’s her; my underwater enchantress; my angel.

She was spread prostrate on the floor. He ran over to her and fell to his knees.

“Miss, miss,” he called but her head just lolled to the side. He tried to move her into the recovery position but she was a heavy, dead weight. She looks so light and fragile, how is that possible. He tried to check for cuts and bruises but couldn’t find any. How did she survive crashing though my window without any cuts? Wait a minute ... How did she crash though my window? I’m thirty stories up.

Lex stood and strolled over to the gaping hole in his office and stared out. Listening carefully he could hear the sound of sirens and screams. He glanced to the smaller building next to the LuthorCorp tower. Superman was lowering half a helicopter to the roof.

“What is going on,” he said, utterly confused. He pulled out his phone and flipped it open then dialled the emergency services.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois turned to look at the helicopter pilot. He was unconscious. She turned back to look out the glass and smiled in such relief. He’s here. She pushed at the door but it wouldn’t open. He reached out his hands and grabbed onto the side of the helicopter and pulled. The door ripped away and Lois jumped out straight into his arms. She buried her head down into his chest.

“Clark!” she whispered, “Thank goodness you’re here.” She pulled back and looked up into his eyes. Clark lifted a hand and pushed a stray lock of hair behind her ear.

“Lois,” he whispered back. He smiled at her and somehow she knew what it meant. I didn’t think I’d be seeing you again so soon. Lois tipped her head back to look at him even more. He dipped his head slightly and she knew he was about to kiss her. “Lois, I,” he paused. “I have to go. Doomsday. He’ll destroy everything. I need to stop him.”

Lois nodded, disappointed not to taste his lips. A moan from behind her alerted her to the pilot coming round. She glanced quickly and decided to risk it. Lifting her hands to his neck she pulled him down in a desperate kiss. His arms came round her waist and she sighed. When he pulled away they rested against each other’s foreheads.

“I have to go now. But just remember, Lois ... no matter what happens ... I will always love you.” And with that he was gone.

Lois felt as if her heart was being pulled after him. She ran to the edge of the roof and looked out trying to see which direction he had gone. Listening carefully she heard terrible noises. Turning quickly she picked up her bag and headed for the stairs. She needed to get down to the action.

Down to Clark.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Superman sped as fast as he could in the direction of the terrified screams. The warmth of Lois’s lips was still with him and he gritted his teeth in determination. I will not let this monster destroy this world.

He changed his flight direction suddenly when he saw Doomsday leap up just a little off the direction he was heading. Superman struck Doomsday on his back stunning him. Doomsday dropped to the ground almost like a dead weight.

Superman flew after the bony monster and landed next to him. He picked up Doomsday by an ankle and started twisting round and round. Letting go at the right point he sent the monster flying away from the city.

Doomsday landed just outside Metropolis and stood to his feet almost immediately. Superman landed and tried to punch but the monster stepped out of the way. When did he become so quick?

Doomsday struck back and punched Superman squarely on the jaw. He flew back a few metres and felt his back meet resistance. Doomsday made a small jump and brought himself into range again. Superman rose to his feet and tried to strike again but Doomsday sidestepped and then returned the punch. Superman managed to evade and the punch hit the object behind. When he heard an ominous crack Superman turned to look at what had stopped his throw moments ago.

A large support column had a massive crack in it. Superman looked up to see that they were in a construction site; a large shopping mall due to open later next year. The cracking sound increased and Doomsday laughed then kicked at the column again. Superman chased the monster out of the building but Doomsday turned at the last moment and punched him back into the collapsing rubble.

When he managed to dig himself out Superman set of to find where Doomsday had gone. Opening his senses he soon heard the cries of Metropolis citizens and set off in that direction. As he approached he readied himself for an alternative tactic. Grabbing hold of Doomsday from behind and locking his grip Superman leapt into the air and set off for the vacuum of space. Taking as deep a breath as possible he had confidence that this would work. He had not yet attempted space flight since discovering his powers but was sure it was possible.

About half a mile up Doomsday squirmed in his arms and elbowed him in the side. Superman lost his breath and felt a searing pain. He lost his grip and Doomsday dropped back to Earth. Superman felt round to his side and encountered a ragged puncture wound. He pulled his hand away and it was dripping with blood. Strange, how it already felt odd to see his own blood. He stared back down to Earth and took a deep breath. Have to hit him with everything I've got. Have to hope that he has his limits … like I do.

He saw Doomsday pounding on the hood of a car. Superman reversed his body and landed feet first directly on Doomsday. He rolled off and came up to stand a metre away. Doomsday stood and roared in anger. Stepping forwards in giant bangs he continued growling. Superman tensed his arm and aimed a blow straight for Doomsday’s throat. Clipping the chin on the way back out Superman was surprised to see a bit of bone chip off.

Doomsday staggered backwards and then barrelled back into Superman sending him flying. As his trajectory lessened he found himself aiming for the pavement. A tug on his cape jerked him backwards a little and he ended up sprawled on the ground face up. He blinked and brought a spinning globe into focus. The Planet. I’m outside the Daily Planet.

Standing to his feet he felt something tickling his ear. He turned to see a tattered piece of cape fluttering from his back. The rest of it had torn off and was waving from a lamp post.

Feeling rather stunned he was not prepared for Doomsday’s next assault. He found himself held aloft. Doomsday then slammed him back into the street, cracking all the flags around.

When he rose, dizzily to his feet he saw Doomsday slowly advancing on the crowd. When his vision finally cleared he saw that it was actually just one person. Lois. It looked as if she’d just come running out of the Daily Planet doorway. She was now back pedalling furiously with a desperate look on her face. In that moment Clark felt no pain, no weariness. This fight was about to end; whatever it took.

He opened up his heat vision, pouring all his anger into it. Doomsday's hide began to sear and blister and Superman saw the creature drop to his knees. Superman cut off the heat and stepped forward ready to punch the monster put he was surprised when Doomsday kneed him in the chin. He stumbled and Doomsday struck again, slashing him across the chest.

Superman reached up and grabbed Doomsday's fists. He stood and held tight then kicked at Doomsday’s knee. He felt sudden hope when a bony spur broke off. He's weakening. He's finally weakening! He continued to strike at Doomsday’s extremities and bony protrusions. Every snap caused the monster to cry out in pain.

They traded blows back and forth; windows shattering to the sound. They separated for less than a moment then flew at each other for one last time.

Superman fell to his knees as Doomsday collapsed face first into the pavement. Out of the corned of his eye Superman saw someone running towards him. He toppled backwards and felt himself cradled in warm arms.

Clark looked up to see Lois smiling down at him. There were tears in her eyes.

“Doomsday … is he … is he …?” Clark tried to speak but his throat was so dry.

“Down. You stopped him. You saved us all!” Lois spoke in a shuddering tone. She lifted a hand to his cheek and smiled.

Clark finally relaxed. Now I can rest. He closed his eyes and everything went quiet.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois looked down at her Fiancée. She wrinkled her brow. “Superman?” She shook him. His body was so heavy, on her knees and in her arms, but she held on tight. There was no response. “Superman?” she shouted louder.

“Help, someone help!” she shouted out to the crowd around. The people looked scared to move, she could see them glancing to the monster in fear. “Doomsday’s dead. Someone please help.” She pleaded with them and eventually a man stepped forward.

Kneeling down he began to feel for a pulse. “I’m Dr Hamilton. I’ll do what I can miss.” Lois stepped back and allowed him to work. She stared in shock while the Doctor tried CPR. Looking down to her hands she sobbed when she saw blood. Superman shouldn’t bleed. Clark shouldn’t bleed.

She wiped her hands on her coat, it didn’t matter that it would be ruined, then sat down to wait.

It seemed like hours passed but it was probably just minutes. Lois spent much of the time staring at Superman’s cape, flapping in the wind off a lamp post. A change in the activity in her peripheral vision brought her out of her thoughts and she turned. The group of medics and helpers which had been crowding round Superman’s body were backing away. Some of them turned and wandered off. Others just stood and looked, hanging their head.

“No!” Lois stood, confused. She walked over to the Doctor and dragged him round to look at her. The sorrow in his eyes was all the confirmation she needed. She shook her head, mouthing ‘no’ over and over.

“I’m sorry, miss. We’ve tried everything but there is nothing more we can do.”

“But he’s Superman,” she pointed to the slain hero. Dr Hamilton just shook his head. Lois turned to look at the body of the man she loved. “But his wounds ... He was cut, he was bleeding. They’ve healed. How can he be dead if his wounds have healed?”

“I don’t know. I really don’t.” He turned and walked away, shaking his head.

Lois turned back to look at Clark’s body. She dropped to her knees suddenly and put her hands to her mouth. She felt the cries well up in her throat and then she buried her head in her hands and sobbed.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Please don't hate me. Come back for more soon. Happy ending coming up I promise you but it might be a couple more chapter off.
          Last edited by KatherineKent; 04-21-2011, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Wow, you did a great job describing that battle, and the sad but strangely sweet scene after! I loved it! Can't wait for more!!!

Comment

• I don't like the fact that Luthor is the one that found Kara.... that sounds like bad news
              And Clark can't die, he just can't, he is engage!!!!!!! TT

You need to update soon, I'm having a meltdown

Comment

• Originally posted by Miray
                Wow, you did a great job describing that battle, and the sad but strangely sweet scene after! I loved it! Can't wait for more!!!
                Thanks. I found it challenging to write the fights but I'm glad I persevered through it.

I don't like the fact that Luthor is the one that found Kara.... that sounds like bad news
                And Clark can't die, he just can't, he is engage!!!!!!! TT

You need to update soon, I'm having a meltdown
                Lex/Kara will be resolved soon. And please don't have a meltdown. Here is some more to help calm you down.

Chapter 38:

The world was in shock for days. Lois saw it on the faces of everyone around her. The young intern, Olsen, who had taken the first famous picture of Superman. He’d also taken the final picture. You could see it on his face as he walked around the office. The junior reporter on the next desk over; Troupe. Lois could see it on his face as he typed up a story. No-one could believe that a super-powered being from another planet could arrive and make such a different in just a few months only to be taken away so dramatically.

As Lois stood in the cold drizzle and waited in Centennial Park she knew that she felt very different to everyone else. She couldn’t believe that a wonderful, kind farm boy could embrace a magnificent destiny yet still want to embrace her. And she couldn’t believe that she’d denied herself the relationship until a few days ago only to have it taken away within hours. There was a numbness in her heart; an emptiness to her soul, and as Lex Luthor stepped out onto the podium to speak she turned away in despair, unable to listen to the pathetic words he would spout.

Lex had been missing for Superman’s debut and at least half of his public existence. Lex didn’t even know, to Lois’s knowledge, that it was really Clark, his one time friend. How did he get this honour?

As Lex cleared his throat to speak Lois glanced back. The small blonde girl stood at his side looked more sad than anyone else Lois had come across. The media referred to her as Supergirl and in one, brief interview with LNN Lex had said that she claimed to be Superman’s cousin. Lois hadn’t been able to get near her to verify that. It seemed Lex was protective of his Supergirl. He was also protective of the secret to his sudden head full of shocking red hair.

Lois turned away again and began to push her way out of the crowd, not taking in a single word from the billionaire. She felt a tugging on her arm and turned to see Perry.

“How you holding up, kid?” he asked. She gave a wan smile.

“Okay, I guess. I mean it’s not every day the world says goodbye to someone like him.”

“No. I just wonder how those who were his family and friends are holding up.”

Lois chocked back a sob. “Yeah.”

“Any news about Clark?”

“Clark is ... Clark is ... No Perry. Someone suggested he might be in a collapsed building somewhere.”

“You and he ...” Perry paused. “I saw you together. You were getting close.”

Lois couldn’t bring herself to speak so she just nodded. Perry looked at her with fatherly affection in his eyes.

“Do you need any more time off?”

“No Perry, I’ll be fine. I just ... need to go,”

I just wonder how those who were his family and friends are holding up.

Lois heard those words in her head and knew she needed to talk to someone who could share her level of grief. She reached the edge of the crowd as Lex said something about ‘Sacrifice and Heroics’ and pulled out her phone then dialled Chloe’s number.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chloe sat in the Talon apartment watching the television. Live coverage of the Superman Memorial Service was piping through but Chloe wasn’t listening to a single word. She was staring through the screen, not at it. She blinked in shock when she heard a knock at the door. She muted the sound and stood up, calling out “Coming.”

When she opened the door she was greeted by a wry smile on a handsome blonde face. “Ollie,” she said, shocked. “What are you doing here?”

“I thought you might need some company.” He stepped in and nodded towards the silent television.

“Uh, yeah.” Chloe raised her arms and waved in the same direction. “I’m just staring at it really.” She lifted a hand and swiped her cheek to clear it of childish tears. Blinking she turned away and put on a brave tone. “You didn’t have to come. I would have expected Metropolis’s most eligible bachelor CEO to be in the Honour Party.”

“That position would also apply to Lex Luthor, and as he somehow got the prime speaker slot he dictated who was on the podium with him. He and I don’t exactly have a good past.”

“Kinda like him and Clark, then eh?” She smiled brightly.

“Chloe, don’t do that.” He stepped up to her and put a hand on her shoulder. She pursed her lips in embarrassment and looked down at her feet. A finger on her chin forced her to look back up into open, honest eyes. “Don’t.” Ollie let her know in just one word that she could be as vulnerable as she needed with him. She smiled sadly and then felt the tears start to fall. His arms came round her and she dropped her head to rest on his chest.

“He was so special,” she mumbled into his chest. “Even before his powers manifested.” She felt fingers tangle into her hair and a little pressure made her look back up again.

“You’re special too, Chloe.” She looked into his eyes then, as his head began to descend, she flicked her gaze to his lips. Ollie, was her only thought as she closed her eyes.

His lips were soft and gentle; just what she needed. She gripped the front of his shirt and kept as still as possible. He didn’t try to deepen the kiss, just showed her simple affection and comfort.

After a few seconds they parted and Chloe stepped back. Ollie gave a quiet chuckle and Chloe smiled. She opened her mouth to say something and then her phone rang.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Martha and Jonathan sat in silence, glued to the set. When Lex Luthor got up to speak Jonathan stood in disgust.

“What? How can they have him speaking about Superman?” He waved his arms around and stormed off. “Turn it off Martha.” She stood and flicked the switch, listening to her husband muttering as he walked away. “He’s got no right to give a tribute to my boy. Lex bloody Luthor.” Martha went after him.

“Jonathan. He doesn’t know it’s Clark. He’s only doing what has been asked of him.” She placed a hand on his shoulder and he turned back to her.

“He took a promising friendship and ruined it with his secrets and experiments. He ruthlessly took over his father’s company, not that Lionel was probably any better. He’s been missing for months and never explained what happened. Who knows what new secrets he has and what new experiments he’s running. Look at his hair.” He turned back and pointed to the now blank screen. “He’s not a fitting speaker for our son’s memorial.”

Jonathan turned away and then stilled. Martha still had her hand on his shoulder and felt the sobs start by the movement even before she heard them. He dropped to his knees and she knelt next to him. They held each other tight and just waited there. Time heals all wounds, Martha thought, and when enough time had passed they felt able to stand again.

They both headed out to the barn and went up to Clark’s first Fortress of Solitude. Standing in the centre of everything that represented Clark to them they said their own goodbye.

When they returned to the house much later Jonathan strode straight to the television and switched it back on. The official speeches looked to be over and the news programme was airing random tributes from the general citizens.

Martha and Jonathan sat in silence again not noticing the blinking light on their answer machine.

Suddenly the front door burst open.

“Mr and Mrs Kent. Are you here?” someone shouted. “Hello!”

Martha stood quickly and ran towards the visitor. “Chloe, oh Chloe.” She pulled herself up short when she realised that Chloe wouldn’t understand. “What are you doing here?”

“Lois wanted to come and see you. She needed people to talk to. People who know.”

“Know what?” Martha said carefully. It was then that she noticed someone step into the house behind Chloe. She recognised her from a few nights ago. Lois Lane; the woman who had stolen Clark’s heart. She’d come looking for him that night, and then Clark had disappeared only to return to die. Another figure then entered after Lois and Martha widened her eyes further. Oliver Queen!

“And we also thought that you and Mr Kent might need some support. I mean, it’s not like you can go to the funeral as chief mourners. A little unfair really.” Chloe continued. When Martha looked up at her in surprise she smiled. “We all know, Mrs Kent. We’ve come so that we can all be together.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Lois sat with a warm drink in her hands. The cold drizzle had permeated her skin and nothing seemed to be warming her.

The tea helped ... a little.

She glanced through her eyelashes, taking in the home that Clark came from. So warm, so homely, so Clark.

She smiled to herself. Since accepting her need for him there had come an almost instant understanding of him, too. It was as if they were two halves of one whole. And now half of her was missing. The pain was unbearable.

The current company helped ... a little.

Lois took a sip of tea. “So he left to train?” Clark’s mother asked. Lois had been explaining what she knew of the events since the night of the reunion. She nodded. “He’d been so determined not to give in to Jor-El but if he gave his word then ...”

“We taught our boy to always keep his word, Martha. If he promised to train in return for knowledge of how to defeat this ... General Zod ... then he needed to keep it.” Lois looked at Jonathan Kent. She could see that this man had been the greatest influence in Clark’s life and she felt a great respect for him.

“Um, Mr and Mrs Kent. I don’t know how to tell you this, and I don’t know if you’ll believe me ...” Lois took a shuddering breath. She’d never felt more nervous in her whole life. “He asked me to marry him before he went.” She looked between them both, back and forth.

“Oh, Lois!” came a soft voice from Martha. Clark’s mother stood swiftly and embraced her. Lois put down her tea and stood entering the embrace fully. “My dear. My daughter.” Lois could hear the tears in Martha’s voice. When she pulled away there was a wistful smile on her face. “You said yes?” There was a tiny, but teasing frown on the older lady’s face.

“Of course I said yes, Mrs Kent.” Lois felt a tear roll down her cheek. Jonathan Kent stood up at that point and also came over for a hug.

“Lois, I want you to consider yourself family. Even though ... though ...” His voice trailed off.

“Ok, Mr Kent,” Lois replied nodding while chewing on her bottom lip.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

It was late in the evening when everyone got up to leave. Martha looked around at the strange group of guests she had entertained all afternoon.

One of Clark’s oldest friends: Chloe
                His new girlfriend, fiancée, soulmate; Lois
                A billionaire bachelor. How had Oliver Queen got mixed up in all this?

At the door she called Lois back. The beautiful young woman turned and looked at her with shimmering eyes. “Yes, Mrs K?” Martha smiled inwardly. She’d already settled into a natural friendship. If only her and Clark had met earlier ... or had more time together.

“I’d like to give you something, Lois.”

“Really? That’s not necessary.” Lois looked a little confused and also shy.

“When I first arrived in this house I felt ... out of place. Jonathan’s mother was a little scary to me. But on our wedding day she gave me this.” Martha handed over a box. Lois looked at her questioningly and then opened it. Martha knew what she was looking at.

“She told me that I made Jonathan happy. She’d seen such happiness in him since he’d met me. You make Clark happy. I’m so glad he found you before ...”

“Mrs Kent, I ... don’t know what to say.” Lois looked shocked but Martha knew she’d done the right thing.

“Just take it,” she said, “and always remember that you have a home here.”

Lois reached into the box and gently pulled out the beautiful length of chain. She held it up to the light and let the heart dangle down.

“It’s beautiful. Thank you.” She placed it round her neck then smiled. Martha saw the tears threatening again but Lois held them back. Instead she reached out and put her arms round Martha’s neck and then kissed her on the cheek.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So we are nearly at the end now. Hope you are still enjoying.

Next Chapter to follow soon. I'm on a really good roll now ... but you're gonna have to convince me to post...

Comment

• This fic is incredible, amazing, wonderful...one of the best fics I've ever read! Convincing enough?? If not than I'll just come right out and say it. Please, please, please keep going!! This poor reader needs her fix! *my first post on this site and I'm already begging....hehehe*

Comment

• My eyes welled up near the end! So beautiful!
                    I'm very anxious for Clark to come back! PPMS!!!

Comment

• Don't worry I have ways to convince people
                      Everyone is a wreck *pout* but the one that truly breaks my heart is Lois, at least the Kents accepted her without a word

You need to update soon, this has me on the edge !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Miray
                        My eyes welled up near the end! So beautiful!
                        I'm very anxious for Clark to come back! PPMS!!!
                        He'll be back soon.

Don't worry I have ways to convince people
                        Everyone is a wreck *pout* but the one that truly breaks my heart is Lois, at least the Kents accepted her without a word

You need to update soon, this has me on the edge !!!
                        I guess I'm doing my job correctly if I'm actually getting these reactions.

Originally posted by spin11
                        This fic is incredible, amazing, wonderful...one of the best fics I've ever read! Convincing enough?? If not than I'll just come right out and say it. Please, please, please keep going!! This poor reader needs her fix! *my first post on this site and I'm already begging....hehehe*
                        Well, thank you very much. And just in honour of you - and for posting your first post just for this fic - here is the next (and penultimate) chapter.

I thought it was just too cruel to keep you all waiting when we are so near the end.

Chapter 39:

Oliver Queen looked around at the few assembled members of the Justice League. “So you think we can do this?”

“No problem, amigos,” Bart replied.

“Hold on there, hop-a-long.” Ollie held up his hand then pointed to Bart’s leg encased in plaster. “Don’t know how you think you’ll be able to help.”

“It’s just for show,” he knocked on the pot. “Gotta keep up appearances with the acquaintances. They don’t know I heal ten times faster than everyone else.”

“Ok then. Anyone else?” There were multiple nods and murmurs. “Right. Our biggest obstacle is going to be getting past security. For some reason Lex won’t let anyone near her. And whenever she comes out in public he is by her side.”

“I believe I can be of some assistance in that matter.” Ollie turned to the older gentleman who had approached him soon after the Doomsday battle and revealed his true identity.

“Thank you, Detective Jones.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Morning Mr Luthor,” a guard nodded at him as he walked past. He nodded back and continued down the corridor. He could tell she was in this direction.

“Sir!” Another guard stood to attention. He probed the man’s mind. Yes, she’s further down. His expensive Italian shoes click-clacked on the wooden floor as he strode on.

He approached a turn and reached out to hear any thoughts. ‘Why does she even need guarding? She’s bullet proof. I guess Luthor is just overprotective. Even of an invulnerable alien.’ He turned to look and then aimed for the particular mind he’d just touched.

At the end of the corridor he came to a room. He looked the guard directly in the eyes.

“There you go Mr Luthor, sir,” said the man as he opened the door to allow access. He entered then turned to watch over his shoulder, making sure the door closed behind him. After the audible click he turned back to the room. It was like so many others in this mansion. Antiques, wooden decorations, plush curtains. But this room had one thing that the others didn’t; his target.

He stood and examined her. She was sat on the far side of a king-size bed, facing away. Her long blonde hair rippled down her back. She was wearing Superman’s colours and had added an ‘S’ shield to the front of her top. He coughed softly to announce his presence.

She stood and turned. “Lex,” she said a little surprised and he could read an excited, but confused tone in her voice. It was all he could read. Her mind was a closed book to him. That was a positive sign in one was, but it meant he had no definitive proof of her claims.

She stepped towards him. “Oh, Lex. When can I leave this place? I feel like a caged animal. I should be out there. I can continue his legacy. I could help people.” She paused and looked wistful. “I could be flying.”

It was at that moment that he began to relax his mental control and he saw her expression change to one of worry and then terror. She was a split second from anger when he held up a hand and spoke.

“Miss, please. Do not worry. I am not here to harm you; merely to confirm your claims to being Superman’s cousin.”

She stepped back and squinted. “How ... did you do that?”

He felt his transformation complete and her shock turned to anger when she saw his true face.

“You may have been able to bully me on Krypton but not on this planet.” She stepped forward and reached out to punch him. He side-stepped and moved away. “You broke into our house in the middle of the night and forced our family from their home.”

“Considering what your father did you were lucky.” He had his proof. She really was Kal-El’s cousin if she knew that. “Your father tried to assassinate Jor-El.”

“My father would never do such a thing, they were brothers.” She looked him up and down warily.

“Their hatred for one another was stronger than any familial bond.” He shook his head a little.

“How can I trust you, Martian?”

“I’m a friend. I was sent here by Jor-El to keep an eye on Kal-El.”

“Good job.” He heard the sarcasm in her voice. And the pain.

“I have done my best. He does not know of the help I have given him over the years, but when he stepped into the light as Superman he found his own place in this world. I stepped back from my silent duties. Unfortunately I did so too soon and he faced Doomsday alone.”

“Not completely alone.” She turned away from him.

“Kara, why do you stay here ... with Lex Luthor?” He stepped forward with his hand out in open friendship.

“He’s all I know. With Kal-El gone ...”

“What about Clark’s family?”

“Clark?” She spun round to him, questioning.

“His human name.”

“I never got the chance to know that. I was here for such a short time before Doomsday and I spent most of that time training with Jor-El, for all the good that did me.”

“Jor-El?” That is not possible.

“Yes, at Kal-El’s fortress.”

“He had a fortress?

“Yes, didn’t you know?” She used a tone that obviously meant ‘you should have known’.

“I kept out of his life as much as possible so that he was unaware of my interference and existence.” He cocked his head to the side. “You know. Lois Lane said that Superman’s wounds closed, even after he died. Perhaps Jor-El should take a look at Kal-El’s body at the fortress.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kara and Martian Manhunter left the mansion by air. Kara smashed a hole in the window to her room. She had been surprised to find everything locked. A pointless exercise by Lex but it just proved to Kara what the Green Martian had said about him. She followed him through the sky eager to meet the people he had just mentioned. When he dropped out of sight she followed him downwards to land on an open balcony.

“I have confirmed her identity, Mr Queen. She is Kal-El’s cousin from Krypton.” He nodded his head slightly.

The man he had just address smiled brightly at her. “Come in then, Supergirl. Meet the team.”

“There is no time for that. We must retrieve the body of Superman immediately.” His voice was incredibly earnest.

“Body, what?” Mr Queen looked confused.

“I believe there may be hope yet.”

“Yeah, well. It’s being held in the city morgue. Considered public property.”

“Maybe if family turned up to claim it?” Kara suggested.

“Good idea. But just in case that doesn’t work I think we should have a back-up plan.”

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“Mighty Maid has the package, Watchtower. Delivery is on the way.” Kara heard the voice fading as she lifted off with her cousin’s body. The direct approach hadn’t worked with the city morgue director questioning her authenticity and claiming he needed authorisation from multiple city officials. She had left and immediately put the back-up plan into motion. Not wanting to cause a scene she had been unable to just take Kal-El. The Justice League had convinced her that it would be better to be secretive.

Now she was flying north, considering what her words would be to Jor-El when she arrived.

If what the Martian said is true then why did Jor-El accept me so easily? What will he say if I confront him about these accusations?

She landed soon after and gently placed the body to the cold ground.

“Jor-El. I have brought Kal-El.”

“Why did you not return after Doomsday was defeated,” came the emotionless voice.

Kara shifted nervously. “I was unable to. Lex kept me locked up.”

“You had the power to leave.”

“I felt obligated to him as he found me during the Doomsday fight. I also did not realise that I was a prisoner.” She looked down at her cousin’s body. “Can you do something for him?”

Kara watched as the body started to glow brighter and brighter. Eventually she couldn’t watch any longer and she turned away. When she looked back Kal-El had been encased in a large crystal. A faint and very slowly pulsing light surrounded it.

“Leave him here Kara.”

“Thank you Jor-El.” She turned to leave but was stopped by the voice continuing to speak.

“You may choose to continue your training Kara Zor-El, or you may choose to believe your memories of your father and leave my fortress.”

She hung her head a little. “You know?”

“J'onn J'onzz spoke the truth about your father and my original self. Now what is your decision?”

“I will stay Uncle. I will train.” As a beam of light surrounded her and resumed the training she had left many days ago she glanced at the crystal to her side. It was pulsing steadily and brightly.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Just one chapter to go. Guess you are all desperate for it .... How long shall I keep you waiting? It is already written and ready to go.

Comment

• This is great!
                          Ppms

Comment

• This is great!
                            Ppms

Comment

• Yea!!!!!! Kara is free, I thought she was going to stay with Lex.....
                              And you brought MM ... now they only thing left to get is Clark alive and kicking, and also him getting married with a fierce reporter with a tendency to misspell words

Great update!!!!

Comment

• You updated fast... I just got to read the last 3 chapters... but I am SOOOOOO not opposed to another chapter .

And now Jor-El is working on Clark... good good.

Fantasterrific job... Looking forward to the next update!!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎