Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doctor Who #6.1 "The Impossible Astronaut"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

O.K. First things first - I haven't got a clue how things are going to be resolved, and I'm not going to speculate (although based on past Steven Moffat scripts, any guess I made would probably be wrong). Having said that, I don't get why the episode is seen in some quarters as impossibly convulted and beyond the understanding of the average viewer. Just as The Big Bang was basically a space-time farce - if you could follow the plot of the average Fawlty Towers (or Coupling) episode, you could cope with this story. However, throw in a bit of "bumpity-wumpity, timey-wimey", and some people start assuming that things are ten times more complicated than they really are. Besides, this is "Part One" of a two-part story - of course, there are more questions than answers! If people don't think season openers should be this mysterious or confusing (particularly for casual viewers), could somebody who hasn't watched these stories (and is completly unspoiled) before watch the first two episodes of the (four-part) Remembrance of the Daleks and explain exactly what the Doctor is doing, what the "Hand of Omega" actually is, and how this all ties into the climax of the story? Quite honestly, part of the thrill of watching the classic series as a child was wondering not only how the previous episode's cliffhanger would resolve itself, but wondering exactly what the villain's plan was, and how the Doctor and his friends would stop it. For me, storywise, this is like the best of the good old days, with some 21st century twists.

Actually, the script was almost like a collaboration between classic Who's two finest writers - Robert Holmes and Douglas Adams. It might have been a bit talkier than the average season-opener, but Steven Moffat has cooked-up a story that has mixes Holmes' Gothic horror with Adams' imagination - and wit to match them both ("These are my top operatives: The Legs, The Nose and Mrs Robinson"). But back in the 1970s, Holmes and Adams could never dream of end results that looked so good. Having BBC America co-production money to allow a Utah location shoot certainly helps, yet that (and sterling work by production designer Michael Pickawoad and crew back in Cardiff) would mean nothing without Toby Haynes impeccable shot selection and Stephan Pehrsson's gorgeous photography (the shot of Rory, Amy, River and Old Canton watching the Doctor's funeral pyre as the sun goes down was simply breathtaking).

Haynes also gets terrific performances from the cast, particular the regulars. Matt Smith is balancing the seriousness and intelligence of the Doctor with his childlike behaviour and crazy humour in the way that Tom Baker managed at his finest (circa 1976-77). Alex Kingston continues to make me glad that Russell T. Davies didn't get his first choice for River - Kate Winslet. Nothing against Ms Winslet (who would have been excellent), but can you imagine getting her back year-after-year? And frankly, Alex Kingston nails the tough, flirty, smart, tragic River so well that it is impossible to imagine anyone else in her place. As for the first married couple in the Tardis, Karen Gillan has matured so much in the space of a year
    , making the most of a script that gives new depth to Amy Pond. Equally, Arthur Darvill quietly makes the most of Rory's unassuming stoicism - he might still be a bit of a nervous "scaredy cat", but he has gained a bit of a backbone. No longer entirely useless, he might lack Amy's extrovert love of adventure, but he is the one who carries on when Amy is rendered helpless by grief ("Rory, what do we do?"), driven by a determination to do the right thing.

I'll leave any thoughts on the Silence until after the next episode, when we might have a few answers to some of our questions. Suffice to say, this is an episode that I have watched repeatedly, constantly amazed at how much is packed into a forty-five minute running time that simply flies by. I can't wait for Saturday!

Comment

This episode was far from the most confusing "Part 1". I think that still belongs to Logopolis. (Seriously, 4 viewings and still no idea what happened!)

Regarding Rory, two moments stood out to me as highlighting the development of his character. The first was the funeral pyre scene, which was his idea, and seeing as he was the only one in the water, was something he did himself. Secondly, the scene in the diner with him and River trying to figure out the mystery of the fourth letter, despite a grieving Amy insisting none of it mattered ("It mattered to him!").

The Rory from early last series would probably have waited to be told what to do by either Amy or River. And if he did speak, it would certainly not have been with the confidence he spoke with in this episode. "If we're going to do this, let's do it properly."

Comment

Originally posted by Super001Dude
        I've actually been thinking it's more the Doctor himself, though River Song would make more sense as we know she killed a man.

Is anyone else curious as to why the monsters are wearing suits, or is it just me?
        I don't see how that would make sense. So people in the 32nd century or whatever (what century IS she from anyway?) would punish her for a crime that she committed thousands of years ago?

Comment

Just read online that the USA seemingly got some sort of pre-titles recap/sequence that wasn't shown in the UK. Can anyone help me out with a YouTube link or a description?

Originally posted by xPandaHunterx
          (what century IS she from anyway?)
          Who knows? She's a time traveller.

Comment

Originally posted by quinny06
            ...hmm.

But, again, that would be a bit much for Who.
            Yeah. It would be inappropriate.

Originally posted by CloisShipper
            I think she was already pregnant when she came to America because the Doctor told her she'd put on a few pounds at the beginning of the episode.
            Other people have pointed out that Amy drinks wine at the picnic. So could she have been pregnant and not known until her contact with the Silence?

Originally posted by Superboy-Prime
            the silence were based off the painting 'the scream'

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
            Oh awesome!

Originally posted by RyanE
            "Don't ever play games with me. Do not think you are capable of that."

A great line and delivery, which for me sets up the type of character we are going to see down the line with this season.
            Wow that was so creepy. Especially after his jolly line, "I'm being extremely cleaver up here and there's no one to stand around and look impressed..."

But I love the reversal. As River says, "You're going to have to trust us this time." They are in a position the Doctor is usually in. He's the one in the dark about something for his own good. He HATES it. It's so interesting.

Comment

Someone actually asked Steven Moffat on Twitter why Amy was drinking wine if she was pregnant. His response?

"She's Scottish."

Comment

Just read online that the USA seemingly got some sort of pre-titles recap/sequence that wasn't shown in the UK. Can anyone help me out with a YouTube link or a description?

Who knows? She's a time traveller.
                Yeah I downloaded the uk show and then watched it when it premiered in the usa. Basically in the usa version when the title credits were supposed to come on it showed clips from the previous season of amy and the doctor with amy doing a voice over like " when I was a little girl I had an imaginary friend and when I grew up he came back. Hes called the doctor, he comes from somewhere else.he's got a box called the tardis thats bigger on the inside and can travel anywhere in time and space. I ran away with him and weve been running ever since" cool promo thingy

Comment

Someone actually asked Steven Moffat on Twitter why Amy was drinking wine if she was pregnant. His response?

"She's Scottish."

Lol!

Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Cl4rk_K3nt
                    The thing to remember is, it's a two parter.
                    A very good point - I think. As if you do not like the first part, perhaps it is waiting to build up to a better part two.

I have seen this episode. And I , thoroughly, enjoyed it. I am waiting to see it, tonight ( one more final time) because there is a something I need to get straightened out. A fact about Doctor Who. Then I will return with my report. Don't worry, it promises to be a good report.

E.T.A. From what I am seeing in the other posters. It is my feeling that Amy did not know she was pregnant when she drank the wine. She did not know she was pregnant until after she saw the Silence. ( Wow! That is the name for the new alien?? Wow! Very clever name. They look so creepy / scary. I have never been so afraid of a Doctor Who alien before now. It is very refreshing to have the Silence. *giggles* )
                    Last edited by MsNoelle; 04-25-2011, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MsNoelle
                      A very good point - I think. As if you do not like the first part, perhaps it is waiting to build up to a better part two.

I have seen this episode. And I , thoroughly, enjoyed it. I am waiting to see it, tonight ( one more final time) because there is a something I need to get straightened out. A fact about Doctor Who. Then I will return with my report. Don't worry, it promises to be a good report.

E.T.A. From what I am seeing in the other posters. It is my feeling that Amy did not know she was pregnant when she drank the wine. She did not know she was pregnant until after she saw the Silence. ( Wow! That is the name for the new alien?? Wow! Very clever name. They look so creepy / scary. I have never been so afraid of a Doctor Who alien before now. It is very refreshing to have the Silence. *giggles* )
                      Nah she knew she was pregnant I mean how could she not know. The silence just wanted her to tell the doctor for some reason

I really liked that music that played at the end when the astronaut came out.

Comment

The silence remind me kf the gentlemen from buffy

Comment

Originally posted by Superboy-Prime
                          I really liked that music that played at the end when the astronaut came out.
                          That was the same music from the end of The Pandorica Opens. It's called "The Life and Death of Amy Pond", and its on the Series 5 soundtrack.

Comment

That was the same music from the end of The Pandorica Opens. It's called "The Life and Death of Amy Pond", and its on the Series 5 soundtrack.
                            A downloading I shall go

Comment

My first post!

Hi.

I love Doctor Who. lurve!

I loved a lot about Impossible Astronaut, I haven't forgot. Mostly because it seemed to resonate with some of my favorite Who themes the last few seasons.

I don't think it's the time-travel that's overwhelming, it's the show getting deeply embedded in its own mythology. After watching it five or six times... well.

How about remembering and forgetting? That was hugely important at the end of The Big Bang. Something blue! And it came up in Christmas Carol, with your Scrooge realizing that his memories were changing. Mostly, though, I was reminded of Silence In The Library and Forest of the Dead. Doctor Moon helping Donna to cope with the breaks in continuity of her "life" by suggesting she's remembering and forgetting. And this episode goes out its way to point out 1969 as the year of the moon, even having the moon hanging in the sky as the Doctor gets shot.

There's more. How about the Apollo astronaut suit? River's team in SITL and FOTD were wearing astronaut suits. There's also the conversation she had with Rory, about how the day that she meets the Doctor for her last time -- his first time -- will kill her. Which is absolutely right. Astronaut gear is cool.

Then there's the little girl. The Library's central computer is run by a little girl... well, it is a little girl, in a sense. I guess? And IA has a little girl calling the President asking for help.

When you're alone, Silence is all around you.

And yeah, there's all this riff on The Lodger, with those coffin-shaped control boards with the rollerballs. And that episode also had a little girl (amongst others) luring people into trying out for "pilot". Is the Astronaut Girl another computer program trying to find a pilot? Are the Silence the reason her spaceship crashed?

I noticed that both Amy and River are feeling "sick". Are they both pregnant? Or is it just Amy, and the sickness has to do with the memory wipes? Or is Amy just assuming she's pregnant because she's sick?

I loved this detail: Amy has sunflowers in a vase by the window when she gets the Doctor's invite.

My only complaint: I thought the time in the Tardis between Utah and DC was kinda long, a bit heavy on exposition, but the acting was so good and the characters so well written it was worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by MissWofflez
                                Just watched it on iplayer and was AMAZING great return for doctor who but got ton of quesions in my head that arent explained hope next week clears it all

Did anyone know beforehand it was the doctor who dies? i was so shocked at that point, and when he was regenerating and then shot again i was just wth?

Just a thought that popped into my head- could that astronaut be river song? Hmmmm...
                                That was the same thing I was thinking. And I felt the same as you, MissWofflez , when he got shot. It made me really sit up and go . I mean, I liked all that bit before. And the doctor was telling Amy,Rory, & River Song that he is 1103 years old. There is another moment. Because I thought " Hey, wait a minute! I thought he is 908 or even 909? " And then , of course, Amy voiced what I was thinking. And that made it all better. That someone else thought of that, too. I began to ease up when I hear River explain that the Doctor that they saw was the one from the future. Now I felt as if I was in the same life as River is living. The complete opposite of what I was feeling when River first came into Doctor Who's life. And the thing about when River first appeared. I mean, when Rory was asking River about what she meant about a worse day coming for her, I kept thinking she means back to the Silence in the Library episode when she died. And she did mention that as her life progresses, he knows her less and less. Just like in that episode ( Silence in the library - I suppose Steven Moffatt meant to do that? He meant to make that reference? Or is that just me thinking that? ) Also I am realizing ( unless I am wrong ) the bloke that worked with Nixon, and then ran away with the Doctor, Rory, Amy & River - is he the same one that in the beginning gave the thing of gas so they could have a Viking funeral for the Doctor? I will listen closer and see some more. They did say he will come back again later.
                                I am intrigued now to see the part two of this. I can't wait !

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎