Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shades Of Grey

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That's great new, Mary Ellen you left us with a pretty evil clif hanger here

Comment

• Originally posted by cathy14
      That's great new, Mary Ellen you left us with a pretty evil clif hanger here
      I think it's in my top five of evil cliffhangers - but don't you worry. This story will have an happy ending - and that's all I'll say about that.

Comment

• A/N: I just finished the next chapter. I was going to post it now, but I think I'll wait until later because I want to go over it a couple times. So until then, here's a brief snippet to tie you over.

The wrench slips out of his fingers and falls to the ground. “Did you say what I thought you said?” staring at her incredulously.

“You heard right,” she replies with her arms folded across her chest. “I’m leaving you.”

“You’re not leaving me,” he declares as he strides towards her.

“Stop right there,” holding out her hand. “I can do anything I want – and right now I’m leaving you."
        Last edited by gem65; 07-05-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• Great news!!! I'm counting the hours, Mary Ellen

Comment

• That's right Lois show him who's the boss right now in your matrimony
            Lets see if now he's going to snap out of this weird attitude....

Comment

• Originally posted by cathy14
              Great news!!! I'm counting the hours, Mary Ellen
              You don't have to count too much longer.

Originally posted by MariVe
              That's right Lois show him who's the boss right now in your matrimony
              Lets see if now he's going to snap out of this weird attitude....
              You'll find out in the next half hour.

Comment

• Update!

CHAPTER 8

Previously:

"I never thought I'd ever say this to you," pausing to take a deep breath before she speaks.

"I'm leaving you."

The wrench slips out of his fingers and falls to the ground. “Did you say what I thought you said?” staring at her incredulously.

“You heard right,” she replies with her arms folded across her chest. “I’m leaving you.”

“You’re not leaving me,” he declares as he strides towards her.

Stop right there,” holding out her hand. “I can do anything I want – and right now I’m leaving you. How many times do I have to say it before it sinks into that BDA brain of yours?”

He stops in his tracks and glares at her. “You know how much I hate being called a BDA,” his fingers clenched into fists.

“Why do you think I said it?” she says smugly. “The fact of the matter is that you are acting like a BDA, so it’s entirely appropriate for me to call you a BDA.”

“Will you please stop that?”he snaps back.

“BDA, BDA, BDA,” she replies in a sing-song voice as she turns around and walks out of the barn.

“This conversation is not over,” he yells out at her as she reaches the house and slams the kitchen door behind her.

He stands there for a moment and takes some deep breaths in order to calm himself down. She’s not leaving me, he keeps telling himself as he walks over to the house. He’s about to climb the stairs when she barrels out of the house carrying a suitcase. “Where do you think you’re going?” standing in front of the porch stairs and blocking her path.

“I figured that since I was leaving you, I couldn’t very well stay here now could I?” quirking an eyebrow. “Now will you kindly get out of my way?”

“No can do,” shaking his head.

“I figured that would be the case,” pulling out something from her jacket pocket.

“What is that?” a confused expression on his face as she takes the cap off the bottle and holds it up. “Is that perfume?” he asks.

“Nope,” she replies smugly and promptly sprays him in the face with it.

“Damn!” dropping to his knees and clutching his stomach. “How could that be Green-K?” wiping his eyes with the edge of his t-shirt. “It wasn’t even green,” opening his eyes at last and looking up at her in shock.

“All I had to do was add some food coloring to change the color,” putting the cap back on and walking around him. “Not that you care either way, but I’ll be staying with Chloe and Jimmy for a while,” throwing the suitcase into the back seat, then sliding behind the steering wheel. “I’ll raise this baby by myself if I have to. After all, I have raised babies before,” she says coldly as she starts the car.

He stands up and watches in disbelief as the car barrels out of the driveway. “Lois!” he yells out after her as he runs after the car. “Lois!” continuing to yell, but instead the car speeds up and within seconds disappears out of his sight. He slowly trudges back to the house and sits down on the porch swing. “What have I done?” putting his head in his hands.

Lois pulls over to the side of the road when she’s out of his sight, then shuts the engine off. Only then does she allow herself the luxury of crying.

One month later…

Jimmy comes home from having been out of town for a photo assignment. He looks into the living room and sees Lois sleeping on the couch. “She had a rough night,” Chloe whispers as she takes him by the hand and pulls him into their bedroom.

“Couldn’t sleep again, huh?” he lowers his voice as he closes the door behind him.

She nods her head sadly. “I’ve never seen her cry this much.”

“I’m sure that part of it is the hormones kicking in,” he replies as he sits down on the edge of the bed and takes off his shoes.

“I know,” sitting down next to him. “I wish I could take the pain away, you know?” resting her head on his shoulder.

“I know,” wrapping his arm around her waist. “Unfortunately your healing power doesn’t cure emotional pain,” kissing the top of her head before getting up and making his way over to the closet. “So have you heard from Clark since the big blow-up?” he asks as he pulls out a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt.

“I stopped by the farm after I left Watchtower and he was a complete and utter mess,” lying back on the bed. “He tried to talk to her the first couple weeks, but she refused to see him. He finally gave up and I hadn’t seen him for the last two weeks – although I did finally see him this afternoon,” she continues.

“How was he?” he asks as he gets dressed.

“Not good,” she replies. “You should see what a mess the house is,” she adds.

“What about the farm itself?”

“I talked to Jason and Debra a couple weeks ago. Jason has temporarily taken up Clark’s Superman duties and Debra has been flying back and forth trying to keep the farm going.”

“Doesn’t sound like much of a vacation to me,” he sighs. “What do they have to say about the situation?” he asks next.

“They’ve tried talking to both Clark and Lois, but both of them are so damn stubborn. They won’t listen to them either,” shrugging her shoulders.

“That’s bad,” slowly closing the closet door and leaning back against it. “Where was he when you left?”

“Passed out on the couch,” she replies as he lies down next to her.

“He was drunk again?”

“Nope,” she replies. “I think he’s back to no longer being affected by alcohol.”

“Really?” he remarks while looking curious at her. “How do you know that?”

“There were no beer bottles strewn around the living room and only one in the refrigerator.”

“Maybe he just didn’t go to the liquor store. That doesn’t really prove anything,” he replies with a sigh.

“I think this will prove it,” coming over to him. “When I asked him if he wanted the last bottle, he replied that he didn’t want it.”

“Well thank goodness for that,” he replies thoughtfully.

“I just wish we could get them back together,” she sighs once more.

“I know,” he says. He walks over to the door and opens it; peeking his head through the doorway to look over at Lois.

She comes over and stands by him and watches with him for a few moments. “At least she’s finally getting some sleep,” he says softly.

“I think it would be a good idea if we went out for a walk – don’t you think?” arching an eyebrow at him.

“I think you’re right,” he says with a smile. “Let’s go,” heading towards the front door.

“I also think that you need something on your feet like a pair of sneakers?” she says teasingly.

He looks down at his bare feet. “Oops,” winking at her as he heads back into the bedroom to fetch his sneakers and a pair of socks.

An hour later...

Clark finally wakes up when there’s a knock at the door. He groans as he turns over and buries his head in the couch cushions. “Go away,” he yells out.

“Are you sure you want me to go?” Oliver asks as he comes into the house and walks into the living room. “Look at this mess,” picking up an discarded t-shirt off the floor.

“I’m not in the mood, Oliver,” not moving a muscle.

“I can see that,” now standing over him. “Come on,” pulling the blanket off him and tossing it to the side. “You need to pull yourself out of this,” grabbing him by the arm and pulling him up to a sitting position. “Sometimes you need to hit rock bottom before you can begin to move on with your life.”

“I just don’t know how I can move on without her,” dropping his head with a sigh. “I miss her so much.”

“I know,” wrapping his arm around his broad shoulders and giving them a gentle squeeze. “You know what? I’ve never seen you with a beard before,” he remarks. “How did you grow it so fast? What’s your secret?”

“I didn’t shave – that’s my secret,” his head still down.

A soft breeze comes through the window and Oliver scrunches up his nose. “How long has it been since you even showered anyway?” taking a few steps away from him.

“I don’t know and I don’t care,” plopping back down.

“Well you’re going to get cleaned up,” Olive replies as he pulls Clark up to his feet.

“You can’t make me,” wrenching his arm away.

“Maybe he can’t but I will,” Jason declares as he strides into the room and grabs Clark by the waist.

“What the hell---“Clark exclaims in astonishment as Jason throws him over his shoulder and promptly speeds up the stairs.

“You’re getting a shower whether you like it or not,” throwing Clark in the shower fully clothed and turning on the hot water. “Here,” shoving a bar of soap in his hand. “I will be outside waiting – and don’t forget I have x-ray vision too,” he warns him. “So don’t even think of pretending to take a shower,” stepping out of the bathroom and closing the door shut.

“I can’t believe you just did that,” Oliver remarks as Jason comes back downstairs.

“Desperate times calls for desperate measures,” he replies as he walks over to the refrigerator and peeks inside. “Empty,” closing the door. “Has he even eaten at all?” turning around.

“I don’t think so,” Oliver replies as he sits down at the kitchen table.

“I’ve never seen Dad like this before,” also sitting down.

“I know,” says Oliver. “He was utterly devastated when your mother left him.”

“I know he was, but I can’t say that I blame her. He really needs some professional help,” leaning back in his chair with a sigh.

“If you’re suggesting counseling, I know an excellent one through Dr. Swann’s foundation.”

He looks up at Oliver. “I think that would be an excellent idea. Now the question is how do we get him to go.”

“Now that’s going to be a problem,” Oliver replies.

“Yeah,” nodding his head in agreement.

Oliver gets up and walks over to the kitchen door. “I have to go because I’m going with Dinah to visit her mother. She broke her hip and is going through physical therapy at the rehab center in Metropolis. If you need anything, just give me a call – okay?” opening the door.

“You bet, Uncle Ollie,” looking up at him with a smile.

Oliver smiles back at him, then steps outside and closes the door behind him. Once he’s gone, Jason sends a text to his sister.

Finally got Dad to take a shower. How are things with Mom?

He gets a reply back from her.

On my way to see her now. Wish me luck.

You bet, he replies as he goes back upstairs when he hears the shower turn off. He reaches the top of the stairs when Clark exits the bathroom.

“Satisfied?” he asks.

“Much better,” giving his father the once-over. “You didn’t shave though,” reaching out to touch his beard.

“I’m not ready to take that step yet,” brushing past him and entering the master bedroom.

“At least you’re clean now,” he remarks as Clark grabs a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. “It’s a start,” watching as Clark gets dressed.

Back at Jimmy and Chloe’s apartment…

Lois wakes up when she hears a knock at the door. “Who is it?” she calls out as she sits up.

“It’s me,” Debra says as she enters the apartment and closes the door behind her.

“Hi, honey,” getting up from the couch.

“Hi, Mom,” coming over to her and giving her a big hug. “I’ve missed you,” holding her tight.

“I’ve missed you too,” burying her head against her daughter’s shoulder.

“So how are you feeling?” she asks as she pulls away.

“Pregnant,” she replies as she sits back down on the couch.

“I can see that,” sitting next to her. “Looks like you’re beginning to show,” resting her hand on her mother’s belly. “How far along are you now?” she asks.

“I’m almost four months,” she replies. “I have an appointment tomorrow to do the amniocenteses test – just to make sure the baby is okay. I’ll also find out the sex of the baby.”

“Do you want me to take you?”

“I would love it,” smiling at her daughter, but then the smile fades and she turns her head.

“Mom?” looking curiously at her.

She pulls out a tissue and wipes her eyes. “Don’t mind me,” blowing her nose next. “It’s just that I thought it would be your father taking me. It should be him,” throwing the tissue down.

Debra pulls her back into her arms as she starts crying again. “I know, Mom. I know,” gently rubbing her back as she holds her.

“I miss him so much,” continuing to sob.

“I know that too. I know he misses you too,” still holding her. “Have you tried talking to him since you left?” she asks.

“No,” she whispers as she pulls away from her daughter.

“Maybe you should try it,” handing her Mom another tissue.

“He has to be the one to make the next move,” she replies stubbornly.

“I know he tried for the first two weeks to talk to you, but you refused to see him,” she says.

“I just couldn’t right then,” blowing her nose again.

“I understand,” standing up. “Come on,” grabbing her mother’s hand and pulling her to her feet. “We’re going to see him right now.”

“I don’t know,” she says reluctantly. “I’m not sure if I can face him right now. The last time I saw him, it was the night I left him. You should have seen the look of devastation on his face when I told him. The last time I had seen that look was when he got that ‘Dear Clark’ dvd from his ex-girlfriend.”

“You mean the girl whose name is never to be mentioned in this house?”

“That’s right,” her mother replies. “That was at your fathers request and I can’t say I blame him.”

“You know, I never did hear that story. Do you think he’ll tell me about it someday?” she asks.

“She’s in the past,” Lois replies. “He moved on from her a long, long time ago. In fact, I remember the exact moment,” she says.

“Really? When?” sounding intrigued.

“It was just after that zombie virus was spread throughout Metropolis,” sitting back down. “As you know, I was infected along with thousands of other people, but your Aunt Chloe and Uncle Emil came up with an antidote. Right after I was cured, I came over to the farm to talk to your father. I remember telling him he was a hero…well…maybe not in those exact words mind you. Anyway, we were having a very nice conversation and just before I was going to leave, I reached out to punch his shoulder with my fist. That’s when it happened.”

“What happened?” Debra asks.

“Your father reached out and grabbed my arm before I could hit him. At that moment, I just knew that something had changed between us. He had a look of surprise at first, but then he looked into my eyes and gave me the sweetest smile. That was it. I was a goner and so was he. Not long after that, we had our first official kiss,” sitting back down with a wistful smile on her face.

“Wow,” sitting back down.

“That’s how our first kiss was too,” winking at her daughter.

She smiles back at her Mom and they sit there for a few moments. “Let’s go see him,” breaking the silence. “Maybe there’s something you need that you left at the house?” arching an eyebrow.

Lois thinks about it for a moment. “I suppose there wouldn’t be any harm in it – but I do have one condition.”

“What is it?”

“I need to go by myself.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure,” Lois replies as she picks up her purse and keys from the coffee table.

“Alright, but I’ll be right here if you need me – okay?” her hands resting on her mother’s upper arms.

“Okay,” giving her daughter a peck on the cheek, then pulls away and exits the apartment.

Debra walks over to the window and watches Lois as she gets into her car and pulls away. She pulls out her cell phone and sends a text message.

She’s on her way.

Jason reads the message and smiles inwardly. Good, slipping the phone into his pocket. “Mom’s on her way right now,” looking up at his father.

His eyes light up at the mere mention of his wife. “She’s really coming?” sounding hopeful.

“I just got a text message from Debra confirming it,” he replies.

Clark comes over to him and gives him a big hug. “I need to pick up some groceries. She might be hungry,” a big smile on his face as he super-speeds away.

Jason sits down on the couch once more and once again pulls out his cell. It worked. He had the biggest smile on his face when I told him the news.

One hour later…

“Where is she?” Clark asks for the hundredth time as he anxiously paces back and forth in front of the fireplace. “It doesn’t take an hour to drive from Jimmy and Chloe’s apartment.”

“She’ll be here,” he replies while trying to reassure him. “I’ll call Debra. Maybe she’s heard from her.” The words are barely out of his mouth when his cell phone rings. He looks at the caller id. “It’s Debra,” he mouths to his father as he answers the phone. “She wants to know if Mom has shown up yet,” continuing to mouth to him. “No, she hasn’t shown up yet,” he tells her. “I see,” he mutters. “Well if you hear from her, let us know okay?” listening some more. “Okay, bye,” hanging up.

“Well?”

He turns to look at his father. “Debra hasn’t heard from her either,” shaking his head as he puts his phone away. “It doesn’t make sense,” sitting down on the couch.

“She probably changed her mind,” Clark whispers sadly as he sits down in the new recliner. “I can’t say I blame her one bit. It’s all my fault,” leaning back.

Jason scoots over to the end of the couch and reaches out for his Dad’s hand. “She’ll be here,” he says again. “I know she will,” patting his hand.

“I hope you’re right,” putting his other hand over his son’s, then sits back again. “Did I ever tell you about the moment when I knew that I had moved on from my ex-girlfriend?” he asks him suddenly.

“You mean L---“

“She is not to be mentioned by name in this house,” he declares. “It was your mothers request and I can’t say I blame her one bit.”

“Okay,” he responds. “So tell me about the moment.”

“It was just after the outbreak of the zombie virus back in the fall of 2009. Your mother was infected, but your Uncle Emil and Aunt Chloe came up with an antidote. Afterwards, I went back to the farm and was going through my wallet and I found a picture of her. I looked at it for a moment. I didn’t feel sad or anything when I saw it, but then something compelled me to get up and find the old scrapbook from when I was a teenager. I placed the picture along with a few others I had of her and closed the book. I haven’t opened that book since.”

“So that was the moment?” Jason asks.

“Not quite,” continuing with his story. “I had just put the book away when your mother showed up. She called me a hero – although that’s not quite how she put it. That’s when it happened.”

“The moment?”

“The moment,” he replies. “You know how your mother has a habit of punching me on the shoulder? Well, she was about to do it when I reached out and caught her arm in mid-punch. She looked at me with surprise, but then smiled at me. I couldn’t help smiling back. THAT was the moment I knew I had truly moved on.”

“Wow,” leaning back against the couch.

“We had our first official kiss not long afterwards,” remembering that kiss. “Whenever I think about that kiss, I still get that tingly feeling,” a smile appearing on his face. Just then there’s a knocking at the kitchen door.

“That must be her,” Jason says at last as he gets up and walks towards the door.

“It can’t be her,” Clark says with a confused look on his face. “Why would she knock if she has a key?” he remarks as he gets up.

Jason opens the door. “Are you Clark Kent?” the policeman asks him.

“No, I’m his son,” Jason replies. “What’s wrong, officer?”

“I’m Clark Kent,” walking up to them.

“Mr. Kent, I’m afraid I have some bad news for you,” he says in a somber tone.

“What is it?” he says; the blood draining from his face at the officer's next words.

“Your wife has been in a car accident.”

TO BE CONTINUED...

Here's the link to Chapter 9
                Last edited by gem65; 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• NOOOOOOO!!!!

what the hell?

really enjoyed reading this chapter except for the major cliffhanger(really depise them >)!
                  please update soon

Comment

• WHAT!!! NOOO! Get back in here! You can not do this to us!!! Come on!!!

Comment

• YOU ENDED IT THERE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! You are sooo evil! This update was amazing!!!

Comment

• plz tell me she is not gonna lose the baby....

I would DIE!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by silverin100
                          plz tell me she is not gonna lose the baby....

I would DIE!!!!
                          All I will admit to is that this story will have an happy ending.

Comment

• Originally posted by silverin100
                            NOOOOOOO!!!!

what the hell?

really enjoyed reading this chapter except for the major cliffhanger(really depise them >)!
                            please update soon
                            I will try to update soon.

Originally posted by tgrimsley
                            WHAT!!! NOOO! Get back in here! You can not do this to us!!! Come on!!!
                            I can do anything I want.

Originally posted by AnneBoleyn
                            YOU ENDED IT THERE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! You are sooo evil! This update was amazing!!!
                            Thank you so much - and I guess I am a tiny bit evil.

Comment

• WHAT???!!!! Do you want me to have a coronary??? that's so cruel for my poor heart TT
                              Just when they were almost going to talk with each other to probably make things right... BAM!!!! this is what happens...

I hope that in some way, the fact that the baby is half kryptonian will save her and well the baby

Love it, bittersweet but love it PPMS!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by MariVe
                                WHAT???!!!! Do you want me to have a coronary??? that's so cruel for my poor heart TT
                                Please don't have a coronary. That was not my intention.

Just when they were almost going to talk with each other to probably make things right... BAM!!!! this is what happens...
                                Unfortunately this kind of thing happens a lot.

I hope that in some way, the fact that the baby is half kryptonian will save her and well the baby
                                That certainly is a possibility.

Love it, bittersweet but love it PPMS!!!
                                I'll try not to wait too long before posting a new update. I am bound and determined to finish the next update for Solitary Man before the month is over.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎