No announcement yet.

Snapshots (One-Shot Series)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

In A Shadow

Clark, Lois, John, and Lara were all eating around the table, still feeling the absence of Ella since she just moved out. Both Lois and Clark noticed John playing with his food instead of eating it and constantly messing with his glasses.

“Lara, how was school today?” Clark asked his daughter trying to start a conversation.

“It was good.”

“What about you, John?” Lois asked.

“Fine.”

“You know, you have been kind of quiet for the past week, are you alright?” Clark asked.

“I’m fine.”

“Do you miss your sister?” Lois asked.

“No, it’s nothing to do with Ella.” He replied.

“But there is something wrong?”

“Oh, look Superman can be perceptive.”

“Do not talk to your father that way!” Lois said glaring at her son while Clark looked hurt and Lara look confused.

“Whatever, I’m getting some air.”

“You sit your as-.” A hand on Lois’ arm stopped her from finishing the sentence.

“It’s ok, just give him a minute.” Clark said.

They all heard a freak wind outside, an indication that John had left.

“Do you want me to find him?” Lara asked.

“No, that’s ok, sweetheart, I need to talk to him.” Clark said getting up and grabbing his coat and taking into the sky knowing where his son was.

It wasn’t long before he made it from their house in Metropolis to the farm in Smallville.

“Didn’t take you long to find me.” John said as Clark walked up to him sitting in the loft.

“You’ve always loved this place.” Clark said.

“I wish I was around when you guys still lived here, it’s so quiet.” John said.

“It is. Care to explain what that was back at the house?” Clark asked.

“No. Not really.” John said.

“John, I’m your father, you need to tell me or I can’t help you.” Clark said.

“I don’t want your help.”

“I don’t get what the problem is, you’ve got so much stuff going for you.” Clark said.

“Cause of who’s son I am.”

“What?” Clark asked confused.

“Today, in my journalism class, the teacher told me that job offer must have been easy to land because of my star reporter parents.”

“I’ll go down to the school first thing-.”

“Dad! That’s not the point! I always loved to write cause I thought it was something I was good at. Ella can’t write, Lara can’t write. That’s my thing. But what he said is true, I’m only getting these opportunities because of you and mom.”

“You know that’s not true, you know you’re good at what you do.”

“Even still, it’s just another way I’m in your shadow.”

“What?” Clark asked.

“I’ve always been in your shadow, Dad. For as long as I can remember, going to League meetings with you, I’ve always been “Son of Superman.” I’ve had to wear these stupid glasses since I was 15 because I look to much like you to compromise your identity and I am sick and tired of it! I am sick of constantly being told that one day I’ll take over the mantle of being Superman or how I am going to be the next famous ‘Kent’ writer. I want to be my own person and I’ll never have that chance!”

“Yes, you will. You are your own person. You have the best of me and the best of your mother in you. You’re most abrasive than I am and you’re certainly funnier. You always have had a way of making people smile. But, all this crap about being stuck in a shadow is nonsense. Who cares about your professor, If he said that to you, that’s nothing but jealousy. Your mother and I have no pull where you got the job offer, that’s all you. This needs to stop, I use to let doubt from other effect my decisions and I regret it every day, don’t make the same mistakes I did. Live your life, do what you want to do, if you try to do all you can, than you’ll never be in my shadow, because you know you won’t be, and your opinion is the only one that should matter.”

Clark reached into his pocket and pulled out the farmhouse key. “In case, you need time for yourself.” He said and walked out of the barn and flew back home, hoping he got through to his son.

Comment

Aww that was beautiful and I loved the advice that he gave John. PPMS!

Comment

Originally posted by darlenejbv
        Aww that was beautiful and I loved the advice that he gave John. PPMS!
        Thank you! And thanks for reading!

Comment

I can see how it would happen. John would feel like he was living in his father's shadow and he would feel under pressure. But Clark handled it well. Great one-shot Zach.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixnz
            I can see how it would happen. John would feel like he was living in his father's shadow and he would feel under pressure. But Clark handled it well. Great one-shot Zach.
            Thanks!

Comment

wow that´s beautiful. You write beautifully. I don´t know why but just skipped this shots, luckily I decided to read it this time.

Comment

Zach, another great shot. You’re very talented. You never cease to amaze me because you’re very young and still has such a mature writing. Keep writing and improving
                It’s not easy to be Superman but being his son is no piece of cake either, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Eleidich
                  wow that´s beautiful. You write beautifully. I don´t know why but just skipped this shots, luckily I decided to read it this time.
                  Glad you did! Thanks!
                  Originally posted by cathy14
                  Zach, another great shot. You’re very talented. You never cease to amaze me because you’re very young and still has such a mature writing. Keep writing and improving
                  It’s not easy to be Superman but being his son is no piece of cake either, huh?
                  Thank you, that really means a lot, and no, it's not.

Comment

Drabbles

“Our kids are demons.” Lois announced as she walked into her and her husband’s bedroom. “We seriously need a priest for an exorcism.”

“I’m sure whatever they did can’t be that bad.” Clark said sitting up against the headboard.

“They are pure evil. I’m trying to get work done and there is always something, they are always getting their noses into something that is none of their business. And the stuff they tell Lara.”

“Lois, John and Ella are good kids.”
                    Just then their youngest daughter walks in the room with her teddy bear.

“Ella and John said something to me again.”

“You see?” She said to Clark. “What did they tell you, baby?” Lois asked her three year old.

“What’s an accident baby?”

Lois and Clark both looked like deers in a headlight.

“Alright, guys. I gotta get going. Long road back to Star City.” Oliver announced.

“Stay for dinner.” Lois said.

“You know, I’m not really hungry.” Oliver said.

“Clark’s cooking.”

“I. Am. Famished.” Oliver said sitting down.

“Come on! Crap!” Lois said digging through her purse looking for her office key.

“Hello, Lois.” She heard a familiar voice behind her.

“Yes, Satan?” Lois asked turning around. “Oh! Sorry, Lex. I thought you were someone else.”

“He’s kinda spineless, if you ask me.” Lois said.

“Come on, Lois. Robert is a good kid.” Clark defended Ella’s new boyfriend.

“Yeah, it’s not like they’ll get married anyway.” She said with a shrug.
                    Last edited by forwhomthebelltolls; 03-14-2011, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Great idea Zach, give us those little glimpses of they're every-day-life. The first one, about the accident baby, cracked me up

Comment

Hahahahaha Lois you gotta deal with your kids, they are like that because they are just like their mother
                        All the parts were hilarious. This was incredible

Comment

Hey! Its been a while since I've been in this thread! I just read "In A Shadow" and I loved it! I think you did great portraying the plight of being a Kent kid and a son of Superman, and really just a kid in general.

I liked this line:
                          “Dad! That’s not the point! I always loved to write cause I thought it was something I was good at. Ella can’t write, Lara can’t write. That’s my thing. But what he said is true, I’m only getting these opportunities because of you and mom.”
                          I think that's just the way kids in big-ish type families think. Always trying to find what it is that makes you stand out, always being afraid of losing yourself in the crowd.

And I loved Clark's response to it! He was very much a dad, being compassionate, but also giving the kid a much needed kick in the butt. It was great!
                          Last edited by Terrific_T; 03-14-2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

LOL! Accident baby!!! That was great! I cracked up!!!

Comment

Yep, those Clois kids are definitely evil. Poor Lara.

And I love, love, love the "Yes Satan" when Lex walks into the office.

Delightful little glimpses into domestic life.

Comment

haha Zach the lane kids are little demons aka loises lol ppms

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎