No announcement yet.

Why Lois?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by borednow
    While you may have us Lois fans with Chloe's experience in journalism is greater then Lois'... talent on the other hand. Lois' first article in Smallville got her fans and a "It changed how I view the world!" letter. This was in the show. This is cannon. Her Green Arrow articles got national attention, while writing at a no respect Tabloid her name and picture of Green Arrow was picked up and used all over. Lois went digging for the space ship and scooped the combined efforts of Kara, Clark, and Chloe in finding it. They had super speed and super hearing and super hackz0r skills and she still got there first! The girl has TALENT. She may be a slow typist but she is a good writer.

She's suicidally devoted to chasing after her leads, even before she ever thought to write about them she was always investigating this way, that's what makes her a great journalist, it's an iconic Lois Lane trait, get stories by being stupidly brave and diving into danger. That's why she is successful. That type of attitude is what gets you killed or gets you famous.

Chloe is more sensible. She's less of a hot shot hot head and more of a brainy researcher. There is nothing wrong with that, but you are less likely to succeed by that method just by the fact that Lois' stories will always be more in the thick of it in turns of perspective. Lois' story about the same event would be more exciting to read. Chloe would research the fighting ring, find out about it, watch the movies, dig in find out who the people are, send out her informants. Lois would research the fighting ring, dress up in a cat suit go there and fight one of the guards. Lois has a more visceral story. Chloe may be more experienced, she has been argued to be a more talented writer, smarter, and a nicer more likable person then Lois, I don't necessarily agree but it's arguable, but in the end Lois has her persistence and down right insane way of chasing after stories that has the potential to sky rocket her to fame.

Chloe is also allowing herself to be bogged down by Clark's and her own secrete. She's put other things ahead of her journalism career, biased on her proud smile at Lois getting the interview with Lex, I think maybe she is realizing and accepting that her priorities have changed since she was a child. I think she will always be an investigative paranormal researcher, but she might only moonlight as a reporter rather then living and breathing the smell of news print.

I don't think this episode deserves a "poor Chloe!" plea at all. Other then when she thought she was going to be blown up Chloe was happy a lot in this episode. She was happy for Lois, and indeed helpful. She was happy she got the acceptance, friendship, and I believe proof of love she wanted from Jimmy (You may believe all you want that she would chose Clark if she could but personally do not view it that way, she may always love Clark but that doesn't mean she will always be in love with Clark. I truly believe she has fallen in love with Jimmy, and would chose to be with him). She also got to let go of the weight she was carrying keeping her meteor power all to herself.

So in my opinion we have had more then enough proof that Lois is talented to make her career into the DP believable by Smallville standards of believability. We've been given plenty of evidence as to why this doesn't have to be a zero sum game for Lois and Chloe. Been given plenty of reasons why we don't have to assume that Chloe is going to end up bawling and eating chocolate ice cream at Lois and Clark's wedding and every time Lois gets a journalism award. Chloe can be a founding member of the justice league. She can date other boys. She can have other priorities in her life other then getting front page articles at the DP and still be happy. She can even still be getting front page articles at the DP in the future. There are more reporters in the bull pen then just Lois and Clark. She just has to make the choice that that is what will make her most happy and go for it.
    Thank you. Everything I was thinking of, said better.

Comment

• Originally posted by borednow
      While you may have us Lois fans with Chloe's experience in journalism is greater then Lois'... talent on the other hand. <snip> The girl has TALENT. She may be a slow typist but she is a good writer.
      I'll say first off that that was a very well laid out and clear argument. Always nice to see between the rants

My problem with SV Lois has always been the Mary Sue-ness about how she has been written. I would have enjoyed it a bit more if she had continued to have been a college drop out struggling to find her way with her daddy issues. Her growth over a couple of seasons to the start of her journalism career could have been very interesting and very appealing.

But this isn't the first career path that she has been super awesome at from the start. First she learnt how to manage a coffee shop in no time at all. Then she successfully led the campaign to have J.Kent elected. Then journalism takes her interest and she is writing articles immediately.

I appreciate the brashness and confidence of Lois, but I also find it hard to relate or empathise with a character that apparently shines in whatever career takes her fancy at the time. I think borednow has made a great case to support Lois's success. However even by SV's standards I personally feel that these career jumps are getting a bit hard to swallow.

Comment

• I might not be as long-winded as some other posters but the "Mary Sue" factor regarding Lois is basically what i've been "ranting" about from my first post.

She is brilliant at everything she does and has men falling at her feet all the time. No matter how accomplished a writer Lois supposedly is now I want Chloe to achieve more because she has tried harder.

I can't believe we're just expected to accept that Lois is terrific by nature and be happy for her!

I empathise w/ Chloe and therefore want to see her obtain success! Plus I know she deserves it!
        Last edited by chlark fan; 12-17-2007, 05:24 AM.

Comment

• You've got to be kidding me!!! Lois "Mary Sue"???? SERIOUSLY???!!!!

And I thought I've heard it all

Comment

• Originally posted by tariksam
            You've got to be kidding me!!! Lois "Mary Sue"???? SERIOUSLY???!!!!

And I thought I've heard it all
            In the sense that she gets whatever she goes after (stories, jobs, men) yeah she a "Mary Sue".

Tptb have moved on from their Lana worship apparently.

Comment

• Omg!!! ahhahahaaha sorry I have to laugh....really but it not surprise to me that part of the famdon think in SUEllivan but some of course ignores it and thins she is the underdog.

I'll leave it in there.

This is so funny!!!! we have Cloogle SUEllivan super hacker I am perfect in everyway and we are calling other caharcaters Mary Sue......

I needed a good laugh in the mornig..my co workers are asking me what's the joke.....

Comment

• Lois brilliant at everything? You got to be kidding me. Her nuclear meltdowns in the kitchen come to mind immediately. But Lois has always been terrific, I agree with you. Though sometimes she did manage to piss me off.

As for her being incredibly gorgeous, what's the big deal anyway? Quoting the unfortunate UPS guy in this episode, she's a babe, so what? Do we rag on Clark for his body and his good looks, and call him Gary Stu because girls keep falling for him left and right?

In the sense that she gets whatever she goes after (stories, jobs, men) yeah she a "Mary Sue".
                Um, I think you got it all mixed up. If a person goes after what he/she wants and gets it, then he/she definitely deserves it.
                Last edited by freefall; 12-17-2007, 05:51 AM.

Comment

• Yeah she does so well with men. And running the campaign for a dark horse farmer with very little funds requires years of experience. And some journalists do get by on little training because its balanced out by instincts, a natural ability to write and a wonderful thing called a copywriter.

Furthermore, Lois didn't start off with a column in the Daily Planet, she started off as a tabloid writer, paying her dues. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Chloe get her first job on Lionel Luthor's back?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scribe
                    Furthermore, Lois didn't start off with a column in the Daily Planet, she started off as a tabloid writer, paying her dues. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Chloe get her first job on Lionel Luthor's back?
                    Thank you.

Betrayed a friend and got a bribed column which she wasn't willing to let go for months. Even had the gall to be mad and be grieved about it when Lionel finally fired her. Oh yeah, real hard work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scribe
                      If I'm not mistaken, didn't Chloe get her first job on Lionel Luthor's back?
                      From my memory Chloe had interns at the Daily Planet that had nothing to do with Lionel. And she was what.... 15 when she took the job from Lionel? Plus the story made it pretty clear that she suffered for that choice. She also got her job at the DP despite the editor having a severe dislike for her.

I also wasn't arguing this as a Chloe vs Lois topic. I like Chloe better as a character, but then I like ED's Lois far better than the movie versions for her ability to be self depricating.

In regards to the Mary Sue aspect, again, it's not about Chloe vs Lois. SV Lois is a martial arts butt kicker with a dead parent who competes with the boys and becomes successful at every career she tries. This isn't dogging the character, she has flaws. But sometimes it feels like her talents become apparent overly quickly and feels more like a rushed plots device (or "give Lois something to do" like Season 5) which is sacrificing character development for the push to have her become cannon Lois. This imbalance is what her very Mary-Sue-ish.

Comment

• Yeah but that's not entirely a fair assertion to. I mean Chloe has some Mary Sue qualities as well. I mean okay, she doesn't do the butt kicking thing but she's a meteor freak with powers, apparently she has the ability to do everything from hack into satellite feeds to decrypting Kryptonian script on her trust laptop.

I don't think Chloe is any less of a character than Lois. In fact, I would be rather thrilled if they just made her a reporter in Gotham City (Chruce fan here ) but the accusation that Lois is kind of Mary Sue is a little unfair when Chloe exhibits the same qualities herself at SV writer's whims.

Comment

• Chloe has had this enormous amount of information on Lex for a very long time and has done nothing with it until now. And then she only compiled it into some kind of order for Lois. It's obvious that she has no intention of ever going after the Luthors. So, what is she supposed to do with it? Just keep sitting on it?
                          Originally posted by ChlarkMe
                          Lex is toying with Lois. Every boy needs a little fun. Lex reminds me of the kid in Toy Story who liked to torture his toys. I'm sure he knew he was going to buy the DP and the stroy was never going to happen.
                          Lex is an arrogant SOB, and as Grant said, "you always fail". And he will fail in his assumption of Lois, too.
                          Last edited by DestinyAw8s; 12-17-2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

• I think lois was assigned to do the expose on Lex, because Lex does not believe Lois can do a good job. Hopefully Lex will now respect Lois for getting more information. I am thinking Lois is a better reporter than people give her credit for. I know how she got the job in the first place was on sight, when the writers on purpose set it up so that it appears she got the job on looks. Very disappointing , but that is why the writers do this, so the fans will get emotional. I just wish lois would get more attention from the writers and fans for things other than her looks.

Comment

• I think it's a case of keep your friends close and your enemies closer. Lex never bought the DP before, because he didn't see any real threat in anyone at the DP. Now that Lois is onboard and is getting too close for comfort, Lex sees Lois as a real threat as she is not one to stop digging. His buying the DP is an act of fear. He thinks Lois would succeed in exposing him, if he let Lois leave the DP to go to a competiting media outlet. By having Lois stay at the DP, he thinks he will be able to control what she writes.
                              Last edited by 4Clana; 12-17-2007, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• I think Lex wanted Lois to do the article cause she's dating his clone brother... that's a no no in Lex's head. He's gotta check this out at least to make sure she's not dating him cause she's on to the cloning thing and oops...she was. Not on her own, but she was on to it. Lois isn't the super reporter but she's not stupid either.

The thing about this Lois is that she's a tough city kid. Ok, I know people are going to argue this...but street smarts account for a lot. Her papers are probably gramatically horrific but she's smart, sharp and has good instincts.

And who ever said good people get what they deserve? Chloe may have more experience at the DP but less deserving people get promoted or passed over by less "deserving" people all the time. How many people in the world get jobs they really shouldn't have gotten???? Hmmmm?? ....i mean look at politicians
                                Stuff like that happens all the time. Cause it's happening to Chloe doesn't mean it shouldnt happen at all. Chloe's no exception. She got looked over and skipped cause she's not the bells and whistles type of person that commands attention. Lois is loud and brass and makes a lot of noise. You're going to notice her more than Chloe in a crowded room.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎