Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capacity For Good: The End Of Days

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I simply love all the heroics and the touching moments in those two chapters, Jimmy comforting the little girl, Ollie and AC saving the siblings, Ben bringing Martha coffee and of course Lois being worried to death about Clark.

Superman vs Doomsday is awesome. You've definitely managed to capture the essence of Superman here, being the inspiring hero to others by just being himself and what he believes in.

Comment

Good to see you still seem to be updating at regular intervals.

Amazing updates as usual, El Dude. Unfortunately, the computer I'm on hates me and won't let me quote anything but I'm gonna come back later 'cause there are a lot of things I wanna point out.

My favorite part of the last two updates, though, has to be the bit where Clark decides that he's willing to die if it saves the world, I suppose that was the "emergance of Superman." That was awesome.

And Lois and Jimmy continue to rock my socks.

PPMS!!!

Comment

That was good.
        Post more.

Comment

Originally posted by seacrystal
          Superman vs Doomsday is awesome. You've definitely managed to capture the essence of Superman here, being the inspiring hero to others by just being himself and what he believes in.
          A lot of people repeat that tired old mantra, which drives me insane, that Superman is 'too good to be true.' In my opinion, these people...just don't get it. If he wasn't that good, he wouldn't be Superman; make him human, sure, but who says humans can't be selfless and noble? Take Wesley Autry, the ordinary man who threw himself under a moving train to save another man's life. Was he too good to be true? If you just can't even imagine someone using that kind of power altruistically, then I think you need to be asking yourself some serious freakin' questions.

Originally posted by that girl
          My favorite part of the last two updates, though, has to be the bit where Clark decides that he's willing to die if it saves the world, I suppose that was the "emergance of Superman." That was awesome.

Well, I'm interested in the relationship between the man and the legend, how he comes to grow into it, how he feels about what others think of him, whether he feels pressed to live up to that, whether he feels like he's not special, and anyone with his powers would or could do what he does, etc...

That's what kind of interested me about "Smallville," seeing Clark at the very beginning of that journey, with no idea of what's to come. I don't think it's ever been done like that before; it's like a real-time version of the first act of 'Superman.'
          Last edited by El Duderino; 07-13-2007, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Duderino
            A lot of people repeat that tired old mantra, which drives me insane, that Superman is 'too good to be true.' In my opinion, these people...just don't get it. If he wasn't that good, he wouldn't be Superman; make him human, sure, but who says humans can't be selfless and noble? Take Wesley Autry, the ordinary man who threw himself under a moving train to save another man's life. Was he too good to be true? If you just can't even imagine someone using that kind of power altruistically, then I think you need to be asking yourself some serious freakin' questions.
            Clark's most heroic moment ever in Smallville is in Perry, when he dove in the gorge without hesitation, without his powers to save Perry.

Comment

Originally posted by El Duderino
              [B]A lot of people repeat that tired old mantra, which drives me insane, that Superman is 'too good to be true.' In my opinion, these people...just don't get it. If he wasn't that good, he wouldn't be Superman; make him human, sure, but who says humans can't be selfless and noble?
              Very well said. I agree. Sometimes Superman is turned in to a caricature, the too good to be true boyscout.

He is heroic. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have his frustrations, his fears, his flaws.

Your story captures him very well I think. A smart, heroic yet 'real' person fighting for what is right.

Kudos.

Comment

Originally posted by supes0
                Very well said. I agree. Sometimes Superman is turned in to a caricature, the too good to be true boyscout.

He is heroic. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have his frustrations, his fears, his flaws.

Your story captures him very well I think. A smart, heroic yet 'real' person fighting for what is right.

Kudos.

Exactly what I'm shooting for, thanks.

Looking for a bit of advice; I'm thinking I might put together a trailer for this fic, but I don't know where to start. What's better for video editing, Nero or Windows Movie Maker?

Comment

Chapter 6

“…first sighted in the Suicide Slums area in the early hours of the morning. Since then, the city has been declared a war zone. Military and civil authorities have been staging an evacuation, priority being those areas of the city in the immediate path of the destruction. People are advised to head straight for the evac points scrolling across the screen as quickly as possible; bring only essential items. The battle has been raging all day, neither combatant gaining significant ground. Witnesses reported Superman as seeming hurt and tired.”

“Yeah, I saw him, he looked…he looked bad, you know? I mean, he was all messed up, looked like he’d gone a hundred rounds, man, you know? I mean,…”

Chloe switched off the television, turning her head back to her work; as usual, she was running League communications and operations on the ground. “OK, Martian Manhunter,…” she smiled at the low sigh that came through her earpiece. “We have a traffic snarl on the corner of 73rd and Fleischer. You know the routine.” Understandably, some people had panicked, loaded up their cars and tried to make their own way out of the city; the League were dealing with it so the military didn’t have to, ferrying the people to evac points and clearing the roads of their cars. Richard had called earlier to ask if she was alright; she ached to see him, but there were no flights into Metropolis, and she had to stand her post. He said he understood, but she knew he was frightened.

The Keystone Flash swept into the room; he was circling the city distributing medical supplies and necessaries. “Picking up the next batch,” he said curtly. Bart might’ve been something of a wiseass, but when it mattered, he was all business. “You need anything?”

“A paperweight might be nice,” Chloe smirked, surveying her freshly scattered notes. “You know, you and Clark could hit the brakes at a safe distance from my desk.”

“Where’s the fun in that?” he grinned, then was suddenly serious. “Where is he now?”

“Metro Park,” she said. “I think he’s trying to keep it away from the evac points.”

“How are you holding up?”

“I’m…OK, I guess,” she said, hiding her face, “…except that my best friend is getting taken apart piece by piece,” she gasped, her voice getting louder and her eyes shining, “and I can’t do anything but sit here and watch.”

In a flash, Bart was there with his arms around her.

“I don’t know what to do, Bart,” she gulped, between sobs. “I’ve never seen him so tired, so beaten up.”

“I know,” he soothed, “but I’ve also never seen him so resolute, so determined to win. You should see the way he fights for us, Chloe, it’s…well, it’s really something. We just have to have a little hope. They don’t call him ‘Superman’ for nothing.”

She nodded, sniffing back more tears. “Sorry I fell apart there.”

Bart shrugged. “If you can’t fall apart on a day like this, when can you?”

“…reported to tower over him at twice his size, but still Superman fights its every step. His courage in the face of such a monster has earned him a new nickname from Metropolitans; the Man of Steel. The fight is raging through Metropolis Park now, where…”

Lex snapped off the television, pouring another drink. “Are we nearly there yet?” he asked dryly, mimicking an impatient child.

“It’s slow going, Mr Luthor,” the driver said. “Everyone’s heading in this direction. It’s like swimming against the tide.”

“Just get us as close as you can.”

“But, sir, the inroads will be cordoned off, and…”

The rest was muffled as Lex pressed the partition riser, sealing himself from the driver. He thought about Superman; the freak looked hurt. He was trembling, bleeding and tired, but still he stood.

‘What’s in it for him, I wonder?’ he thought.

There was a small and brutally honest voice in Lex’s head; sometimes, it sounded like Clark or Jonathan Kent, others even like his own father, but it told him the freak had nothing to gain, he was doing it because someone had to, and that’s what was burning him up; he was jealous of an alien that was more human than he ever was. These days, except in rare moments of contemplation, he never listened to that voice.

Superman squinted through his good eye. He’d managed to get Doomsday into Metro Park; lots of space, no people. At the moment, it was tearing its way through a copse, turning the trees into kindling as it stormed towards him. He was beginning to dread each hit; his injuries had stopped closing almost completely now, and he could feel the impacts shudder through him, flesh tearing, bone against bone. Each time he fell, the sweet temptation to stay down was overwhelming, until the vision of the world’s graveyard flashed in front of his eyes, dragging him to his feet once more; he wouldn’t allow it.

“Over my dead body,” he whispered, planting his feet as Doomsday rushed at him again.

From a secure roof overlooking the park, the Bat-Man watched intently through a pair of field glasses, as for the umpteenth time, his friend picked himself up from the ground and chested a blow from the Beast, staggering. A faint tremble rippled through the building below his feet; by this time, the fight was being felt across the city.

“Superman,…” he muttered quietly. “Clark, it's Bruce. Can you hear me?” He watched closely as Superman nodded. “The package is ready. Do you wish delivery?”

A pause, before his friend slowly nodded again, flicking his eyes downwards for the Bat-Man to follow. His hand was against his thigh, the first three fingers laid flat; three minutes.

The Bat-Man pressed the earpiece under his mask, trying to cut wind noise. “Watchtower, this is Darknight…we have a green light in three minutes.” He cracked the laptop in front of him and quickly began triangulating coordinates.

The last straggling evacuees stood at the edge of the park behind the wall. Lois and Jimmy were among them, straining to catch glimpses as they watched trees crash to the ground and birds take to the skies. Aside from the grunts, shocks and sounds of fighting, the park was oddly silent, as if even the animals had run for cover in fright. It was just beginning to turn dark, early evening light laying an ominous gray shade over the world.

The General stood by her side. “Here.” He handed over a man's white shirt, a clean pair of jeans and some sneakers. “Closest I could get to your size, they’ll have to do.”

Instantly, Jimmy turned purple as Lois began unabashedly stripping to her underwear in the street. He took off his coat and held it in front of her like a curtain.

She rolled her eyes and turned to the General as she buttoned the shirt; it was at least two sizes too large. “How’s he doing?”

“Fine,” the General lied; his daughter’s look told him she saw right through it. “Not great. He’s holding his own, but they’re wearing each other down. I don’t know how much longer he can take it.”

Lois stared back into the park as she zipped up the jeans, willing herself not to blink away the tears standing in her eyes. The General’s field phone burbled quietly.

“Speak…I see…and he’s given the go-ahead?…”

Lois frowned, wiggling her feet into the sneakers. What was that all about?

“…Alright…how long do we have?” He glanced at his watch. “…Two and a half minutes and counting.” He hung up without saying goodbye, new urgency in his manner as he called the troops from the park gates. “We need to get these people under cover now. Let’s go. Come on, Lois, time to take shelter.”

“Two minutes until what, Dad?”

“Lois, let’s go.”

“Dad?”

He sighed. “The Justice League told us they had a last-ditch plan, but they needed to borrow some equipment from us, said they needed to make some modifications…to a short range surface-to-surface missile.”

“If they had a way of stopping this thing, why didn’t they use it before?”

The General was silent for a moment. “I’m sorry, Lo’.”

Panic made her heart beat wildly. “Dad, what have you done?”

“We need to take cover, it’ll hit any minute…Lois!”

She broke away from the crowd, running for the park gates. Half a second, and Jimmy bolted after her. One of the soldiers started after them, but the General stopped him.

“Get these people under cover, soldier, that’s an order!” He sprinted after them both, praying there was enough time.

There wasn’t enough time. Doomsdays’s legs tensed, preparing to clear the park; Superman flung himself haphazardly into the Beast, trying desperately to keep it in range of the weapon. They were down to wrestling now, Superman leaning as heavily as he could on the Beast’s bad shoulder. He screamed as the Beast snapped his arm; once again, he was afraid not of dying, but of failing. Memories poured through his thoughts like rain;

“…I think that's your destiny, Clark. To save people from fear and darkness. You can fear the future or you can embrace it. The choice is yours…”

“The coordinates are programmed,” the Bat-Man rasped. “Waiting to receive launch codes.”

There was silence on the other end of the line.

“Watchtower, do you read? We have a clearance to launch and I am awaiting codes.”

Still silence.

“Chloe,…” his voice gentler now, “…if you don’t send the codes, then everything he’s been through, everything he’s done… it’s all for nothing.”

More silence. The Bat-Man’s laptop screen came alive with numbers, the auto-sequencer unlocking the launch system.

“Ready to go,” the Bat-Man said. “Launch in one minute counting.”

“…I’ve met a lot of guys who want to own the world. I haven’t met very many who want to save it…”

Lois threw herself across the park as fast her long legs would carry her, shoelaces flying.

“Lois, wait! Lois!”

She lurched to the ground suddenly as her father’s feet slid into hers.

“I have to warn him!”

“He already knows!” the General cried. “This was his idea!”

“Guys…?” Jimmy stared, following the orange flaring trail passing high overhead. “Maybe we should take cover.”

“Come on!” The General flipped the struggling Lois over his shoulder, a delirious flashback to the giggling little girl he used to carry in the same way, and ran for cover, closely followed by Jimmy.

“…If you had the power to do whatever you want, what would you do…?” “…I’d stop people like you.”

They seemed to just vanish, clouds of dust and earth torn up around them as the missile landed, greenish plumes sweeping outwards. He felt his body flung into the air and crash to the ground. For a moment, he was too exhausted to feel any more pain, but the agony of Kryptonite exposure soon wracked his already tortured body; he could barely breathe as it filled his lungs and coated his skin. Doomsday flailed at the center of the crater as if trying to fight off the cloud, rubbing at its stinging eyes. Although every movement was now excruciating, he knew this was the moment, the last chance he would get to put the Beast down.

Once again, he planted his feet, feeling the air ripple around him as he drew back his arm and swung; his fist quickly broke the sound barrier and did not slow, gathering speed exponentially, flaring with friction heat on its short journey as he poured every last ounce of strength into that single shot, booming thunder as he connected with Doomsday’s jaw.

There was a brief calm, then a quiet whistle like a fast wind, before the shock-front tore across the park in an expanding circle, flattening trees like a storm. The shock rippled across the entire state and beyond, and for six city blocks, any window that wasn’t shattered blew apart as the earth literally trembled with the force of one single blow.

And as the sonic booms that rippled across the park died away, Doomsday straightened up, staring down at Superman with the same burning eyes….until, like a falling tree or a fairytale giant, it slowly keeled over, crashing to the ground with an almighty thud.

Superman’s shoulders sagged, his fatigue hanging from him all at once like lead weights. It was finished.

Lois stood at the edge of the gaping, smoking crater as the General and Jimmy drew up next to her.

The silence was almost reverent; it was Jimmy who broke it. “Is it over?” he muttered, gently pleading.

As the dust settled, they breathed a quiet sigh of relief; the Beast was dead, and Superman was standing.

“Superman!” she smiled and waved.

Superman looked up at her, offering a weak smile back as he cradled his broken arm. He wanted to tell her to stay there, putting his foot forward, but he felt his ankle fold under him.

“Oh, my,” he mumbled, as his legs gave way and he crumpled bonelessly to the ground.

“…This is your destiny, son. You are going to touch the lives of so many people. Not just as a man, but as a symbol. A symbol of peace. A symbol of justice. And now it's time for you to go…”

The smile dropped from Lois’s face as she saw Superman fall like a sunken puppet, and she threw herself forward, tumbling and scuffing into the crater and to his side. She sat him up and put his head against her chest, her stomach churning at how awful he looked.

“Lie still,” she said, throttling the panic in her voice. “Somebody help! Dad, we need a medic!”

“Doomsday,…” he wheezed liquidly, fighting for breath. “Is it…is everyone…?”

“It’s dead,” she said, using her shirtsleeve to wipe blood, grime and sweat from his face. “You saved us. You saved everyone.” They both hissed out a wince as she brushed the gash over his left eyebrow. “Sorry. You’ll be alright.”

“Lois…”

“Don’t…” she interrupted; his tone was scaring her. “Don’t move around too much. Bed rest and plenty of fluids, that’s all you need.”

“Lois…”

“That’s what they say about colds, isn’t it? I can never remember, is it feed a cold, starve a fever or starve a cold, feed a fever…?”

Superman laughed and a coughing fit wracked his body, flecking his lips and chin with blood. She held him tight until it passed, trying to stop her hands shaking. “Again, sorry,” she bit her lip, giggling through wire-taut nerves, “some people tell me I babble when I’m upset or nervous.”

The corners of his lips twitched a weak smile. “Funny…you should say that…Sailor.”

He looked up at her with the one eye that wasn’t swollen shut; it was bloodshot, but all of a sudden, it seemed that his eyes weren’t actually blue, but closer to green. It was like an optical illusion to Lois, like staring at two faces in silhouette that suddenly became the outline of a single vase.

“Clark?”

He blinked a weak ‘yes,’ a pained look crossing his face. “I’m sorry…I always wanted…t-tell you…”

“Ssh, don’t talk about that now,” she whispered, even more frantically, cradling his head in her arms. “Just lie still and rest. Somebody HELP!!!” Lois looked down at the man trembling in her arms, this man who somehow became her whole world, her every happiness; she had no idea what to do.

“It’s alright,…Lois,” he murmured breathlessly. He reached up and touched her cheek softly, his once powerful hand trembling with effort, and although it pained him, his swollen lips bruised and bleeding, he smiled his sad and gentle Clark-smile. “It’ll be alright. Tell them… not to lose hope… Any hope… no matter how small… is a good thing.”

"Ssh, just hold on… stay with me… please…” she sobbed, clutching at him as she saw it; the look that came over his face that said he was ready. Lois Lane never cried. Never begged. Except for him. For him, she had no pride. For his life, she would cry, she would beg, she would grovel.

“Please, Clark…don’t leave me…you promised you wouldn’t leave...Clark...Open your eyes…Clark, stop foolin’ around and open your eyes…Clark…No…”

And then…

…he was gone.

…End of Part 2…

…To Be Concluded in “Capacity For Good: The Last Son.”
                  Last edited by El Duderino; 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM.

Comment

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit85
                      WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Couldn't agree more.

That was incredible.

Looking forward to reading "The Last Son"

Comment

I could cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How long do we have to wait?

Comment

Originally posted by seacrystal
                          I notice the use of Clark's green eyes again. But that is so heartbreaking, especially with Clark telling her about him, then slipping away in her arms.... and I could just imagine Bruce's heart constricting with pain when he asked Clark if he was ready.

He's trying to be stoic, but we'll see his true reaction in the next instalment, I hope. I always planned the reveal on the green eyes, because I liked the 'optical illusion' idea that suddenly, the two pictures come together in Lois' head.

Perfect flashbacks, I just love all those quotes by Cassandra, Lois, Clark and Jonathan. Though I'm sorry to be so nitpicky, Lois' wording is "guys who want to own the world..."
                          Fixed it. Thanks. Best to get these things as dead on as possible; it helps tie the story to the show properly. And I liked using the double meaning in the Jonathan quote.

Absolutely fantastic chapter. Very genuine and touching... can't wait for your next installation!
                          Thanks again. It's always made sense to me that that was the perfect and most dramatic moment for Lois to find out, something I wish they'd thought of in the comics. Still, I think that's what they're doing in the animated version, if the trailer's anything to go by.

And I demand a happy ending hehe...
                          Not to worry. I have a plan.

Comment

I notice the use of Clark's green eyes again. But that is so heartbreaking, especially with Clark telling her about him, then slipping away in her arms.... and I could just imagine Bruce's heart constricting with pain when he asked Clark if he was ready.

“…I think that's your destiny, Clark. To save people from fear and darkness. You can fear the future or you can embrace it. The choice is yours…”

“…I’ve met a lot of guys who want to run the world. I haven’t met very many who want to save it…”

“…I’d stop people like you.”

“…This is your destiny, son. You are going to touch the lives of so many people. Not just as a man, but as a symbol. A symbol of peace. A symbol of justice. And now it's time for you to go…”
                            Perfect flashbacks, I just love all those quotes by Cassandra, Lois, Clark and Jonathan. I'm sorry to be so nitpicky though, Lois' wording is actually "guys who want to own the world..." :P That's from Aqua right?

“Come on!” The General flipped the struggling Lois over his shoulder, a delirious flashback to the giggling little girl he used to carry in the same way....
                            Lois' relationship with her father is one of the most intriguing aspects of her background, and why she's the way she is today. She loves him fiercely, and vice versa and yet both of them have never known how to show it to each other.

She knows her father is an honourable man and yet he also blamed her for lots of things, and I believe the General just couldn't come to terms to himself on lots of things. In the comics it's about not having a son at all, and in Smallville it's due to his wife's death. It also reminds me in Arrow where Oliver zinged Lois about wanting Daddy's attention, I wonder how did he know that; is he just good at reading people or did Lois tell him.

Absolutely fantastic ending chapter. Very genuine and touching... can't wait for your next installation! And I demand a happy ending hehe...

He's trying to be stoic, but we'll see his true reaction in the next instalment, I hope.
                            Do you mean Bruce's reaction? That guy is always trying to be stoic! But we all know he's the one who grieves the deepest whenever he has lost someone.
                            Last edited by freefall; 07-16-2007, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Whoa! What happened there? How did I end up posting a reply BEFORE seacrystal posted? Weird.

Comment

That was great.
                                Post more.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍